May 2007 - Present
CLIENT SERVICE DIRECTOR
- Director of Business Development and Marketing Planning for Financial and Professional Services and Business to Business Clients.
- Work completed for Reed Exhibitions, Alibaba.com, RBS, VISA, Citi and American Express.
- Mentor for Client Leads skills development in marketing, business development and sales.
Apr 2004 - Aug 2006
HEAD OF CONSULTATION AND RESEARCH
- Responsible for a team of 6 employees for Member Insight, Business Opinion Research, Market and Product Research.Budget responsibility was £2.5 million.
- Conducted over 100 different projects including research to help integrate another Institute; this involved predictive voting research (not used in previous campaigns); the development of the ICAEW/Orange UK Business Confidence Monitor as a recognised Quarterly commentary, monitoring economic trends; the development of the Annual UK Enterprise Survey as a monitor of growth, regulation and performance of SMEs and Corporates; the development of surveys to support international expansion strategies, including the first survey of Accountants in China; and an international survey of IFRS in the UK, USA, China and Hong Kong.
- The development of the Consultation and Research department to support strategic development, provide Insight to members; researching the impact of new accounting regulations; directing the publication and presentation of research findings; and working with a network of major research agencies.
Mar 1985 - Apr 2004
STRATEGY, RESEARCH & ACTION LTD
A marketing consultancy specialising in the Book Publishing, map, atlas and travel guide sector, providing direction for research for national and international publishers.
Coordinated the Statistics Committee of the International Map Trade Association, to publish and present trend information.Products developed through this research included the National Geographic product line of Globes; the Michelin US Road Atlas; re-branding Michelin UK Travel publications; developing a ‘brand map’ for Langenscheidt US products; launching Benchmark Atlases; the development of Rand McNally Retail stores; and launching on demand products for the US National Ocean Service (Department of Commerce) and US Geological Survey.
- Specific experience was developed with Academic and Professional publishers and projects were completed in primary, secondary and higher education.
- Developed multi-client research to fund projects to monitor trends in the Book sectorsincluding a pan-European study funded by the European Union Leonardo Da Vinci programme to develop on-line educational training resources for the Publishing sector
- External global Research Director for Naturin GMBH & Co, manufacturer of sausage casings, publishing research for agents and customers to help to increase sales.
Sep 1973 - Jun 1976
BUSINESS AND MARKETING
Key titles published include:‘The Effective Use of Market Research’; The International Handbook of Market Research Techniques (Kogan Page) – all titles concentrate on how to use research and marketing in business and for not for profit organisations, rather than discuss technical topics.
Former Vice Chairman of the Market Research Society; Council member; Chairman of Membership Development.Currently Joint Editor of the MRS/Kogan Page ‘Market Research in Practice Series’ (14 books).