May 2009 - Present
Head of HR
- Managing the human resource function, implementing Best-in-Class HR systems, programmes, and processes, and developing the current HR management team via formal training, coaching and mentoring.
- Conceptualized, Designed and Implemented Applicant Tracking System, Corporate Careers Website, Learning Management System, Performance Management System, Succession Planning, Executive and Leadership Development Programme, and led the project to scope, evaluate and implement the Employee/Manager Self-Service Modules of Oracle HRMS.
- Updated policies and procedures in all functional areas: recruiting, learning and development, employee relations, compensation, benefits and employee communication.
- To ensure complete and sustained knowledge transfer, I created a HR Procedures and Process Manual detailing every step performed by every position in the HR function. (1500+ pages)
- Served as HR representative on the Abu Dhabi Excellence Awards submission committee.Drafted the “People” potions of twofour54’s submission.
Feb 2008 - Apr 2009
Gourp HR Director
- Responsible for the Human Resource function globally with over 150 direct/indirect reports.
- Implemented an Applicant Tracking System, corporate careers website, Employee Referral program, Internal Mobility Platform and policies and procedures related to the Talent Acquisition process.
- Conceptualized, created and implemented a corporate university that contains e-learning, live training and outside certification, as well as policies and procedures related to Training.
- Completed “AS IS” documentation of HR processes, system analysis, RFP, and data cleanup exercise to begin implementation of the following Oracle HR modules: HRMS, Payroll, Employee Self-Service and Oracle Time and Labour.
- Recruited senior HR team including Compensation and Benefits Manager, Recruitment Director, 2 HR Directors, and HRIS Manager.
- Implemented ATM pay system for over 4,500 trades personnel in the UAE and created a centralized time keeping system connecting all the sites with payroll in Dubai.
- Upgraded the employee portal with HR workflows so that HR requests can be made via the corporate intranet instead of using paper.
- Personally performed leadership and management training for CEO, Managing Directors and General Managers.
- Created all the legal documents and employee-directed communications (Plan documents and Summary Plan Descriptions), related to the IPO in April 2008, including the Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Stock Option Plan and the Employee Stock Grant Program.
- Created standardized policies and procedures that include global and local components.
- Created competency-based performance management system for all divisions and subsidiaries.
- Created and staffed the Labour Relations function to manage the 5000 trades personnel in the Gulf Region.
Dec 2006 - Jan 2008
Regional HR Director
- Hired to create world class HR Department for this newly created division of PB. Managed the IT function as well.First the first 6 months, I was the sole HR Professional.
- Recruited senior HR staff including Regional HR Manager, Recruiting Manager, Learning and Development Manager, and HRIS Manager.
- Implemented and /or rolled out HR processes, including recruiting, on-boarding, a corporate university, an Oracle system upgrade, workforce planning, and fee buildup analysis for project bids.
- Recruited over 200 senior level professional project staff from all parts of the world: US, Canada, South Africa, Europe, Eastern Europe, Australia, and the Middle East via multiple multimedia channels and personal visits.
- Conducted salary surveys and subsequently managed the performance and salary review process to ensure that employees were paid in line with market rates.
Nov 2005 - Dec 2006
People Department Manager
- Reporting directly to the CEO, was hired as the first executive level HR professional to create and implement all HR, Learning & Development, Legal and Administrative department structures, including all staffing, strategic planning, and budgeting.
- Reengineered the structure Legal and Administration groups to be more responsive to the organization’s commercial needs.
- Hired and developed three senior managers for the HR and L&D groups.Current head count is over 40 employees in the human resource, legal, administrative and training/development functions located in Dubai, Jeddah, and throughout the Gulf Region.
- Designed Talent Selection process and oversaw the creation of recruiting website and web-based Applicant Tracking System.(900 People hired in 10 months)
- Managed the development of a corporate-wide Intranet system to publish newly created/edited policies and procedures.Tied this system to a HR Helpdesk.
- Developed and implemented multi-channel learning and development corporate university which includes:
- Web-based Learning Management System to track all training efforts.
- Induction and Orientation packages (paper-based, online and live presentations)
- E-learning curriculum for retail associates in over 250 stores.
- Trainer led exercises at special training “events”
- Outsourced and In-house Executive Development and Training
- Served as HR representative on 6 member ERP selection committee.Implemented data cleanup process and in-house HR system to serve as intermediary resource pending ERP implementation.
- Created competency-based performance management system, including reward and recognition program which includes: ESOP, ISOP, profit sharing plan with investment element (similar to 401k/RRSP plans), and gainsharing.
- Completed salary surveys and created corporate-wide salary banding structure.
- Reviewed then renegotiated or changed vendor contracts related to travel, hotels, communications, courier services, and trade licenses saving over 1.5 million AED per year.
Aug 2003 - Apr 2004
Regional HR Manager
- Managed human resource functions for an entire division, with nearly $800 million in annual turnover, 53 Superstores and 3200 employees.
- Trained executives and managers in performance management, best hiring practices, recruiting, and employment law.
- Developed and implemented change management training.
- Served as strategic business partner and consultant to Regional Vice President.
- Managed and developed two District Human Resource Managers.
Sep 2002 - Jun 2003
·Managed human resource function for non-union and unionized workforce located at the Cincinnati Airport.In only 9 months, I created and implemented programs that led to dramatic reductions in employee turnover, on-the-job injuries and absenteeism.
·Trained executives and managers in performance management, best hiring practices, recruiting, investigations, drafting coaching and counseling memoranda and employment law.
·Reviewed and approved all terminations. No charges or lawsuits arose during my tenure.
·Served as strategic business partner and consultant to Vice President of Customer Services (Cincinnati Airport).
·Served as consultant, trainer and advisor to the Employee Services group.
Jun 2000 - Sep 2002
·Oversaw human resource function for an entire division, which consists of nearly 200 stores and 2500 employees located in the Northeast U.S.
·Trained executives and managers in performance management, best hiring practices, recruiting, and employment law.
·Served as strategic business partner and consultant to Group Vice President of region with over $160 million in sales.
·Implemented programs and training that resulted in lower turnover, increased sales, profit, customer satisfaction and employee engagement levels.
Jun 1995 - Jun 2000
Labour and Employment Attorney
Various law firms
KEATING, MUETHING & KLEKAMP, P.L.L.(Cincinnati, Ohio)1999-2000
(For more information, see www.kmklaw.com)
FISHER & PHILLIPS, LLP(New Orleans, Louisiana)1997-1999
(For more information, see www.laborlawyers.com)
DUDLEY, CLARK & CHAN(St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands)1995-1997
(For more information, see www.dudleylaw.com)
For all three of the above-referenced firms, I performed the following activities:
- Coordinated and directed employment litigation performed by local counsel in various jurisdictions.
- Advised clients on post-acquisition employment issues and integration efforts.
- Reviewed termination decisions, mediated internal disputes, investigated complaints, and aided management in making strategic and tactical personnel decisions.
- Advised new start-ups on human resource related issues such as non-compete agreements, employee handbooks, trade secret protection, and compensation structures.
- Aided in the development of a web-based, employment law training program.
- Counseled and advised senior executives, all levels of human resources practitioners and front-line management, on employment and labor issues arising under U.S. and foreign laws.
- Litigated on behalf of employers in all aspects of labor and employment law, including matters arising under European (UK, France, Netherlands), Canadian, and American laws.
- At any one time, I managed up to 30 cases for international, national and/or local clients.
Jul 2004 - Aug 2005
Vlerick School of Management
Graduated with distinction
Jun 1993 - May 1995
Graduated cum laude
Editor-in-Chief: Tulane European and Civil Law Forum (1994-1995)
European Legal Practice Certificate
Aug 1989 - Jun 1992
Baccalaureate of Social Science
Graduated cum laude