Interior Crafts Inc.
Interior Crafts manufactures high-end, custom furniture, primarily residential. As the CFO / Controller, I direct all strategic and day-to-day financial operations. I also manage a networked IT system that includes a custom, full-featured ERP system, 25 administrative workstations, and 20 manufacturing terminals. My other duties include managing relationships with accountants, bankers, attorneys, and others providing outside professional services; purchasing all company corporate and health insurances; representing the company in union negotiations; and serving as the company liaison with regulatory and government agencies.
I have led this organization from a manual operation to an organization that embraces technology and looks for better ways of doing things. To achieve this, I have re-engineered all major financial processes and controls. I provide ownership with accurate, timely, and detailed financial reporting and analysis. I offer staff the tools and training they need to succeed.
- Achieved 20% annual salary savings by re-engineering internal financial processes. Implemented financial controls and GAAP for shipping & receiving, purchasing, AR/AP, and cash management.
- Automated cost-accounting procedures reducing time-to-price new product from two days to 30 minutes.
- Provided same-day profitability analysis of monthly financial performance by customer, product, and sales person. Included historical comparisons and forecasting of future trends.
- Instituted labor and raw materials cost standards and established accurate overhead rates for burden that balance to the financial statements and update quarterly and annually.
- Led the introduction of a Windows network and file sharing across divisions, enabling file sharing and collaborative reporting by finance team members.
- Implemented an integrated manufacturing software package that includes shop-station labor reporting for payroll and job costing and automates rollup from employee to report, improving quality of reporting and enabling real-time forecasting and trend analysis to serve sales and operations decision-making.
- Improved daily and monthly financial reporting using snapshot daily reports to capture current order and revenue positions and monthly cash flow reports, and gross profit analysis.
- Developed deliverables and oversaw writing of a successful proposal for a $64,000 OSHA, Supervisor, and Customer Service training grant from the Chicago Mayor's Office of Workforce Development.
- Negotiated benefits packages and limited health insurance increases to less than 10% annually for 3 years. Administered profit sharing and implemented a 401K program