- Over 15 years of leadership experience as the CFO, Controller, and IT Manager in education, service, manufacturing, printing, and distribution environments.
- Proven record of effectiveness in forecasting, budgeting, cash management, financial analysis, reporting, cost accounting, inventory systems, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- Innovative in evaluating and implementing ERP systems and IT technology, allowing full integration of data analysis, financial management, and costing across all areas of operations.
- Proven leader with a clear record of success in achieving buy-in by all stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills.
- Direct experience in negotiations with vendors, clients, lenders, municipal authorities, and union representatives.
May 2000 - Present
Interior Crafts Inc.
Interior Crafts manufactures high-end, custom furniture, primarily residential. As the CFO / Controller, I direct all strategic and day-to-day financial operations. I also manage a networked IT system that includes a custom, full-featured ERP system, 25 administrative workstations, and 20 manufacturing terminals. My other duties include managing relationships with accountants, bankers, attorneys, and others providing outside professional services; purchasing all company corporate and health insurances; representing the company in union negotiations; and serving as the company liaison with regulatory and government agencies.
I have led this organization from a manual operation to an organization that embraces technology and looks for better ways of doing things. To achieve this, I have re-engineered all major financial processes and controls. I provide ownership with accurate, timely, and detailed financial reporting and analysis. I offer staff the tools and training they need to succeed.
- Achieved 20% annual salary savings by re-engineering internal financial processes. Implemented financial controls and GAAP for shipping & receiving, purchasing, AR/AP, and cash management.
- Automated cost-accounting procedures reducing time-to-price new product from two days to 30 minutes.
- Provided same-day profitability analysis of monthly financial performance by customer, product, and sales person. Included historical comparisons and forecasting of future trends.
- Instituted labor and raw materials cost standards and established accurate overhead rates for burden that balance to the financial statements and update quarterly and annually.
- Led the introduction of a Windows network and file sharing across divisions, enabling file sharing and collaborative reporting by finance team members.
- Implemented an integrated manufacturing software package that includes shop-station labor reporting for payroll and job costing and automates rollup from employee to report, improving quality of reporting and enabling real-time forecasting and trend analysis to serve sales and operations decision-making.
- Improved daily and monthly financial reporting using snapshot daily reports to capture current order and revenue positions and monthly cash flow reports, and gross profit analysis.
- Developed deliverables and oversaw writing of a successful proposal for a $64,000 OSHA, Supervisor, and Customer Service training grant from the Chicago Mayor's Office of Workforce Development.
- Negotiated benefits packages and limited health insurance increases to less than 10% annually for 3 years. Administered profit sharing and implemented a 401K program
Mar 1998 - May 2000
Financial Consultant / IT Consultant
I spent over 2 years working as a consultant to broaden my experience and improve my skills. During that time, I worked on several projects. Two of those projects were:
-- Interim Controller , B-Way, Inc., Atlanta, Georgia. B-Way is a holding company that acquired and was consolidating the operations and finances of 13 can-manufacturing plants nationwide. For one year, I worked at a plant in Chicago and managed accounting and financial consolidation at the plant level. My responsibilities included preparing multiple and extensive account analyses, cost accounting, and evaluations of interplant transfers of materials. While I was there, B-Way implemented installations of PeopleSoft, Crystal, and SAP, SAP-based inventory control systems, and standard procedures and reports for month-end and year-end closing. -- IT Consultant. Managed the implementation of the GL, AP/AR, and Payroll modules of Deltek/Costpoint software for an engineering firm. This was an 8 month project during which I developed implementation strategies and recommended business process changes, wrote documentation and training materials, and trained staff in new processes.
Apr 1995 - Mar 1998
Service Web Offset Corporation
Service Web Offset is a printing company. My responsiblities included managing the general ledger, making all entries and providing extensive analysis to support the month-end and year-end closes and audits. I also reconciled the asset-based line of credit, reporting assets and liabilities to the bank in support of each draw. I developed cash flow projections and negotiated and approved credit terms for customers. I was also a team member in the implementation of a new computer system.
Dec 1994 - Mar 1995
I re-joined Service Web in 1994 as the Credit Manager. I was reponsible for negotiating credit terms, approving all credit applications, collections, and applying cash.
Jan 1992 - Oct 1994
Trainer / Collector
I worked for the credit card division of Citibank in the P&L Department while earning my MBA. I trained employees in phone center operations, collections, and documentation. I developed collection strategies to improve department and individual performance.
Sep 1989 - Aug 1991
Corporate Credit Manager
Excelsior Mfg. & Supply Corp.
Excelsior manufactures sheet metal and is a wholesaler of HVAC equipment. In addition to the corporate office in Itasca, IL, there are 4 branch locations in the Midwest. While I was the corporate credit manager, the company had over 3,000 accounts. I managed a staff of 9 and was also responsible for cash application, cash flow forecasting, negotiating payment terms and payment plans, order entry, billing, and legal accounts. We reduced the DSO by 10 days and lowered bad debt write-offs to less than .5% of sales.
Oct 1984 - Aug 1989
Assistant Credit Manager
Service Web Offset Corp.
I was frst hired by Service Web in 1984. I was reponsible for processing credit applications, recommending credit approvals, collecting past due accounts, and applying cash.