Over twenty years of industry experience. Looking toward project management and/or business owner/partnership.
Ruby on Rails
Embedded Design and Programming
Feb 2009 - Present
NexentaStor is the leading Open Storage Management solution. Based on OpenSolaris, it provides monitoring and management for unlimited data.
Sep 2006 - Jan 2009
Senior Software Engineer
Originate Labs fosters the entrepreneurial spirit, inspires technological innovation, supports new
business ventures and encourages personal growth by providing the freedom to experiment with
novel solutions to real-world problems in the context of proven processes and management.
A pioneer in Venture Resources, Originate Labs invests elite engineering talent, methods and
experience in high potential ideas and partners.Their portfolio includes both internally generated
incubations, as well as investments in some of the most entrepreneurial start-ups and fast-moving
enterprises in technology.Projects I worked on while at Originate Labs:
- For a medical device, used Visual C++ to debug a massively multithreaded system. I fixed bugs, reduced the number of threads created, and assisted the kernel team in debugging resource issues at a hardware level.
- Blifi is an economical alternative to hotspot wireless, and uses cellular, WiFi, and other mobile technologies for ultimate convenience. For pennies an hour, customers can access the internet from their favorite cafe, hotel or hotspot! Built on proprietary hardware and software, the Blifi platform provides a flexible environment capable of interfacing with today’s cellular and WiFi technologies, as well as future wireless technologies. For the Blifi project, took a Knoppix-based distribution and created a development environment. Assembled the hardware and built a custom kernel and module set to fit in a 128M compact flash device. Created iptables scripts to provide network security and enable user authentication.
- Designed, prototyped, and demonstrated a home energy monitoring system. The system would monitor power use at each outlet and provide the information to a MySQL database using 2.4GHz wireless technology. Created circuit board using Eagle CAD, firmware with IAR Embedded Workbench, and an iPhone application using Objective-C and XCode. Website used PHP and MySQL.
- Implemented a commission portal website using Ruby on Rails and MySQL.
- Maintained a cellular network communications library for embedded solutions.
- Proposed various incubator projects.
Oct 2005 - Aug 2006
Total Phase provides test equipment for embedded systems. They offer the Aardvark i2c/spi host adapter board, the Beagle for USB, and Cheetah SPI boards.
Used Linux, C++, and wxWidgets to implement GUIs for the Beagle and Cheetah products. Created the Flash Center software to easily program any i2c or spi flash or EEPROM device.