- Problem-solver. Business expertise lends itself to developing business strategies.
- Clear vision with aptitude to establish goals
- Engage with key internal and external customers, accustomed to maintaining strong client relationships.
- Performance-driven, entrepreneurial professional with 8+ years experience.
- Self-starter with track record of initiative, and reputation for removing obstacles and making things happen.
- Strong leader who effectively motivates others and directs top-level strategic corporate initiatives.
- Start-up of subsidiary in Germany for Icon Technology & Process Consulting Ltd.
- Project management of two European Research Area projects within the Sixth Framework Programme; TopExpert and iSPACE.
- Introduced policies and procedures for improving the internal company structure and communication.
- Oversee all management-related issues, including human resources, hiring/training/mentoring team members, conducting performance reviews, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, project planning/scheduling and product specifications.
- Analyze P&L data for business development programs to select those with greatest financial viability.
- Promoted to Technical Relationship Manager after starting independently and no processes for international circuits; built all processes and boosted team to 5 people with two direct reports.
- Met every timeline for delivery in 2009 and 2010.
- Heavily involved in developing and producing the open source CFD product ICON FOAMpro, creating training and documentation material and defining product segmentation strategies.
- Serve as core team member for international product development.
- Researched trends in the CFD market and provided input to product development.
- Collaborate with customers to define special product-development requirements and translate customer needs into product-line extensions.
Sales and Customer Service
- Involved in online and B2B marketing activities.
- Exceeded 100 percent paid bonus objectives for all quarters in 2010 by meeting sales objectives.
- Currently focus on new-business development among existing clients.
- Develop customer needs-assessments and enhance customer retention by visiting and consulting with existing clients at their sites; deliver high-impact sales presentations.
- Identified new sales opportunities through cold calls, referrals, and qualified leads.
- Developed strategies for ongoing sales while maintaining customer base and high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Start-up of own CFD business in Austria.
- Explore and develop new business opportunities in the CFD business for German speaking countries.
- Independent acquisition, execution and management of industrial simulation projects for various international companies.
Englishexcellent (TOEFL, 118 out of 120)
Germanexcellent (C2 Wirtschaftssprache, 128 out of 130)
Frenchgood (8 years at Belgium schools)
Spanishbasic (through voluntary work in Nicaragua (1996) and Ecuador (1998))
- Business Development
- Lead Generation
- Project/Account Management
- Relationship management
- Strategic Planning
Business Development Manager
The ESI Group is a very versatile simulation company with offerings for anybody’s needs. I joined this company at a point where it was expanding its CFD offerings and exploring open source business models. I am currently engaged in B2B lead generation, mainly with the world’s largest automotive and chemical OEMs. This includes training of the sales team in Europe (28) on selling open source "free" software. Recently I am also involved in redefining the social media marketing strategy.
Study of new excavation methods in a magnesite mine (RHI) using CAE methods (Abaqus, FLAC2D) I started this job after I finished my master degree in physics. It was an interim position to figure out if I would start working in the industry or take a PhD position at the Montanuniversity
Jan 2009 - Dec 2011
ICON was one of the leading CFD consultancy companies worldwide when I joined them. The main focus was on creating an offering around the open source CFD toolbox OpenFOAM. In a fairly small team, I was heavily involved in process and product development (ICON FOAMpro, now ICONcfd). Simultaneously, I managed the largest account (VW Group) and was responsible for the B2B business development in the DACH region.
Jan 2010 - Dec 2011
Parallel to my relationship manager activities in DACH, I have setup a daughter company in Austria. Revenue was at 200k EUR when it was transferred back 100% to the mother company in 2011. This position taught me a lot about legal aspects of business in Austria as well as the interaction between international entities. Due to differences in opinion on the future of the subsidiary as well as my role in the mother company, we decided to each go our own way.
Nov 2004 - Dec 2008
Next to my PhD activities, I worked as a freelance engineer for the spin-off company of my supervising professor (Wilhelm Brandstätter). The main responsibility was to conduct and manage Computational Fluid Dynamic Simulations for various industries. At later stages, I was also responsible for the acquisition and quotation of new projects. The simulation jobs were very versatile and challenging, with customers like Magna Steyr, Andritz, Plansee and Toyota. I left this job, because I wanted to exploit my capabilities beyond (CFD) engineering.
Apr 2005 - Sep 2008
I worked at the Christian-Doppler Laboratory for Applied Fluid Mechanics. The main project was for the company Lenzing, to optimize the filters in the Lyocell process. Simultaneously, I worked on a project within the 6th Framework (EU) on improving the exhaust systems of cars to fulfill the EU IV regulations.
Jan 2005 - Dec 2008
After my Master in physics, I was offered a position at an international engineering company, but turned it down in favor of a PhD position at the Montanuniversity. The PhD research was conducted for the company Lenzing AG on the subject of „Simulation of multiphase flows laden with large Lagrangian particles".
Sep 2002 - Jun 2004
I studied physics parallel to my mining engineering studies to know why things are as they are at the most basic level (philosophy was too much for my engineering brain). Turned out that the theory of relativity, quantum mechanics and string theory could do with some basics in philosophy! Master thesis: „Analysis of dynamic subgrid-scale stress models for turbulence modeling”. It is this master thesis that opened the door to my PhD in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
Sep 1998 - Jun 2003
Most people will ask: can you study mining engineering in Belgium? Well, you could until 2008. Belgium universities also put the stress on analytical and abstract thinking, rather than simply repeating formula's or theories. I chose mining engineering because it offered the widest range of minors and majors and offered the opportunity to start working abroad. I obtained my master thesis position at the Montanuniversity through extensive contacts in Austria, where I was tutored by Prof. H. Wagner, one of the main influencers of the mining engineering sciences of the 20th century. Master Thesis: „An investigation of the rock mechanical aspects of post-pillar mining methods” Did I mention I met my future wife at the Montanuniversity? Which might be the reason why I went there again for my master thesis in Physics...