Richard Tiland is a highly driven individual with business expertise in the luxury spa industry. Richard’s background in developing and revamping business plans that result in large profits for business start ups and struggling companies in need of revitalization has earned him a reputation as a “business necessity” and a fundamental key to business success in the spa industry. Richard is inspired by modern techniques in marketing and business development and utilizes technology and current trends in health and beauty to develop unique images and business plans for each client. Richard’s expertise encompasses business plans, business development and sales, product training and presentations, unique marketing plans, and short and long range strategic planning. Currently, Richard is a Senior Spa Consultant to Spa Remedies, a consulting company providing a vast array of services to the spa industry. Project goals focus on revitalizing the company mission and ensuring profitability. This is accomplished through developing and revamping business strategies, to include, training staff on sales techniques, creating unique promotional materials, marketing the company to potential customers at key events, and developing financial and business plans. Recent projects have resulted in retails sales increases of up to 1000%. Richard is well versed on the importance of on-line marketing strategies and incorporates his knowledge of consumer internet business development to ensure his clients gain maximum exposure in the competitive internet advertising environment. In fact, Richard’s technology expertise has led to his involvement in other technology based business ventures. He is the Creative Director for a new division for Spa Remedies, H-Dove. H-Dove will focus on the future of internet marketing, high definition video streaming. The videos will be used for a multitude of eye-catching visuals for the Internet and other marketing opportunities. In addition, Richard is CEO and founder of Global Spa Network (GSN). GSN is an internet portal concept aimed at connecting professionals in the spa, beauty and wellness industry. GSN is poised to launch in the next year and will likely become an industry necessity for knowledge and networking. Prior to his consulting work, Richard served as the Western Regional Director of Dragonfly Spa Import Luxury Products, where he increased business by 20% in his first six months of employment. However, it was Richard’s employment with La Jolla Spa MD that launched his career in the Spa industry. As Product Development Director and the CEO’s protégé, Richard provided high-level support and operations management to this leading medical spa. Richard developed a strategic plan for the company that helped grow their customer base and brought brand recognition to the spa. He also served as a skilled public relations representative for the company, developing materials for press releases highlighting the spa’s services and products and participating in appearances with the CEO on local and national networks such as KUSI, FOX, ABC, NBC and CBS. Richard also coordinated numerous fashion shows, client seminars and product launches. During his tenure, sales revenue increased by 50% attributing to American Spa Magazine naming La Jolla Spa MD the “Best Medical Spa in America.” Finally, Richard is well connected in both the charity and non-profit community. He has coordinated major charity events involving the American Heart Association, the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition, Foundation for Women and the Vista Hill Hospital. In addition, Richard’s interactions with celebrities, which include hand-delivering products to the Golden Globe Celebrities Suites, have given him the ability to align celebrities and charities through his grass-roots efforts, and have allowed Richard to utilize these networks to further market his business and products. Richard is sharing his unique vision and cutting edge techniques to take your company to the next level by assisting businesses in making those critical decisions necessary to run a successful business.
OBJECTIVE: Business professional with business and operational management experience seeks an opportunity to contribute to the success of a growing industry and a business poised for growth. QUALIFICATIONS SUMMARY:
- Recent Spa consulting project resulted in exponential increases in retail sales. Grew retail ratio by 1000%. Therapists who began at 1-5% were averaging 20-30% in monthly retail sales at the completion of project.
- Grew Dragonfly luxury product sales by 20% in my first six months, averaging $30 - 40,000 a month.
- Increased DYG (make-up line) wholesale accounts by 50% while at La Jolla Spa M.D.
- Improved sales by approximately 50% during employment with La Jolla Spa, M.D.
- Negotiated a 60% discount for Dragonfly products to be featured in the celebrity guest suites at the Golden Globe awards, enticing many well known celebrities to use our products.
- Experienced "brand ambassador" and public relations professional with beauty related appearances on the news, TV shows, Health and Beauty Channel, Boomer Show, and training videos.
- Coordinating Director for successful runway fashion shows such as; Isabell Kristensen, Jeans for Justice and DYG (CEO's own mineral makeup) launch party.
- Worked with several high profile charities while at La Jolla Spa MD, collaborating on events and promotional items to create revenue for their causes.
- Hosted client seminars such as The Learning Annex and Cosmetic Rejuvenation Extravaganza.
- Fashion Group International Co-chair for the San Diego Chapter.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:2008 - Present Senior Spa Consultant, Spa Remedies, Inc. Provide advice and consultation on business development, operational management, and marketing strategies.
- Guide national and international clients in the development of a consistent branding message that highlights their unique selling points.
- Set sales quota and goals for therapist, devising unique monthly promotions to boost sales, training staff on sales techniques and encouraging healthy competition among spa staff.
- Write retail training manuals and lead training programs for spa staff to include coaching sessions and 1:1 development sessions with individual therapists.
- Provide financial analysis and consultation, analyzing profit and loss statements, reviewing operational costs and developing a plan to increase profits.
- Develop and revise spa menus to include development of bridal spa combos.
- Utilize unique marketing techniques to help boost business and attract new customers. Strategies include; raising public awareness by delivering personalized letters to local businesses, writing direct mail and newsletter pieces and attending other high profiles events that provide exposure to local community and news venues.
- Creative Director of H-Dove ((High-Definition Online Video Experience), a division of Spa Remedies LLC. Developed concept and business plan for this high definition video development division of Spa Remedies. Focus is on maximizing client's marketing dollars using modern, cost-effective video advertising. Client demographics include; five-star resort properties, high-end spas, spa product companies and drug companies.
2007 - 2008 Regional Sales Director, Dragonfly Spa, San Diego, CADistribution company, providing upscale exclusive body treatment products and equipment to luxury spas.
- Greatly expanded current account base and maintained existing accounts through outside sales and cold calling.
- Demonstrated the unique benefits of Dragonfly products to customers, creating a need for the products.
- Hired, trained and oversaw the work performance of two outside sales representatives and two product trainers.
- Worked with individual accounts to help them market products both internally and externally using methods such as posters, promotions, direct mail and live appearances.
- Served as "brand ambassador", making both media and public appearances. High profile appearances include; TV Guide, Fox National Entertainment Magazine, America Spa magazine and well known industry trade shows.
- Some examples of current client base include; Canyon Ranch, Equinox, Exhale and Rancho Valencia.
2005-2007 Product Development Director, Executive Assistant to CEO/President, La Jolla Spa MD, La Jolla, California Coordinated, planned, and supported a wide range of daily operational and administrative functions.
- Participated in product development and launch of DYG, a new mineral makeup product line, using a revolutionary new ingredient, Vitaphenol. Oversaw product launch timelines and worked in collaboration with marketing specialists to develop high-quality image and packaging.
- Coordinated and hosted several successful client seminars utilizing demonstrations, PowerPoint presentations, Q & A sessions, and preparing detailed speaking notes for CEO.
- Coordinating Director for successful runway fashion shows handling all aspects of event coordination such as; media announcements, ticket sales, accounting, event timeline, catering and set up.
- Escorted, prepared, and assisted CEO at news appearances including; KUSI, Fox, ABC, NBC, and CBS.
- Represented the company at all the major spa shows to include, ISPA, spa and resort expo, IECSE and AAD. Performed makeup applications and skin care demonstrations for high-end dermatologists and industry leaders.
2003-2005 Counter Manager, Nordstrom, San Francisco, CA and Seattle, WA Started in Spa Nordstrom, promoted to Skin Care Counter Manager, selling Mario Badescu products.
- Researched the anatomy of skin to provide in-depth knowledge of skin care products and their efficiency.
- Consistently surpassed all goals and quotas including; sales per hour, multiple sales, and items per transaction.
2000-2003 Spa Host/Spa Ambassador, Gene Juarez Salon and Spa, Seattle, Washington Five star upscale salon providing hair care and beauty services.
- Developed protocols to increase level of service and improve efficiency within the spa.
- Sold and educated customers on the unique benefits of Guinot skincare and Kerastase hair product.
EDUCATION: Currently attending University of Phoenix for BS in IT
Associate of Arts, Edmonds Community College, Edmonds, WA