Parallel Optimization of Distributed Database Networks, Proc. Applications of Transputers, August 1989Parallel Implementations of a Branch-and-bound Algorithm for the Optimization of Distributed Database Computer Networks, Proceedings IEEE Region V Conference, March 1988A Parallel Nonlinear Integer Programming Algorithm Based on Branch-and-bound and SimulatedAnnealing, Third Conf. Parallel Processing Sci. Comp., SIAM, pp 126-130, December 1987
Fact Finder - 8
Follow Through - 8
Quick Start - 2
Implementor - 2
Boise State University Computer Science Industrial Advisory Council Member
- Quality driven technology executive with a broad skillset and big picture perspective.
- Extensive history of embedded system development and technology deployment.
- Proven track record of effectively managing large, cross-functional organizations across geographies.
- Demonstrated skill and expertise in delivering complex, high quality, whole product solutions.
- P&L and site management experience.
- Superior organizational abilities.
- Strong leadership in continuous process improvement through the use of formal methods.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications abilities.
Energy Management Technologies
Coaching, Mentoring, & Recruiting
Continuous Process Improvement
Business Process Development
Technical Program Management
Dec 2012 - Present
Product Development Lead
Sep 2009 - Present
CEO/CTO & Founder
Launched product development start-up to deliver innovative and compelling electronic solutions for the home and small office environments. Organize and manage day-to-day operations that includes business plan development, market research and validation, product development, outsource management, and strategic partner and investor engagements.
- Created and provide ongoing refinement of company business plans including financial models.
- Directed market assessment and validation activities to narrow the company's initial focus to the Home Energy Management Systems segment.
- Led ideation, definition and specification of first three generations of energy products.
- Engaged third-party industrial designers to create enclosure concepts for Plug2 product family.
- Engaged outside marketing firm to run initial product concepts through a national consumer focus group. The company's first product received a high product "like" score of 67% as well as a purchase likelihood score of 41%.
- Worked with legal team to file for patent and trademark protection.
- Directed completion and deployment of first energy product prototypes. Work included managing the outsourcing of hardware and firmware development, preliminary quality assurance, initial contract manufacturing and fulfillment/logistics engagements, and hands-on testing by consumers in MA, CA, ID, and UT.
- Presented company background and business plans to outside funding organizations and strategic partners. Work included active participation and dialogue with investment group due diligence team members, individual angel investors, potential equity partners, VCs, and members of the local start-up incubation network.
- Actively working with engineering team to finalize and introduce product in the spring of 2013.
Mar 2012 - Dec 2012
Platform Architect Manager
Leads execution of solid-state integrated light engine products including managing program product/technology roadmaps and cross-functional team deliverables. Identifies, categorizes, and defines new solid-state lighting market opportunities, business models, and innovative product concepts. Selects concepts for feasibility demonstration.
Identifies, establishes, and maintains strong business relationships with potential customers and development partners. Develops “take to market” strategies, guides and consults feasibility teams. Manages strategic business relationships with initial customers and 3rd party partners. Identifies key market trends/competitive landscapes. Identifies and defines new innovative product concepts and solid-state lighting architectures.
Develops new product/architecture specifications. Works with technologists, design engineers, and engineering teams to ensure successful implementation and feasibility demonstration of new product concepts.
Evangelizes new products, technologies, and capabilities.
- Worked with management to clarify and formalize group vision, mission and status reporting mechanisms.
- Successfully led formal KT analysis and narrowed potential contract manufacturing partners from more than 25 to one. Managed ongoing performance monitoring and metrics, contract negotiations, supplier management, and supply chain strategies.
- Enabled quick “what if” scenario comparisons by developing a product cost model with inputs from engineering, operations, logistics, and other departments. Model includes all costs associated with domestic as well as offshore production paths.
- Delivered product cost reductions in excess of 40%, as well as maximized performance improvements and additional cost reduction opportunities by collaborating with engineering, strategic marketing and innovations group members to investigate new technologies and platforms.
- Leading strategic due diligence efforts of market segments including customer demand and application requirements, market trends, and competitive pressures.
- Collaborating with engineering and product marketing teams to identify market opportunities and steer integrated light engine program towards innovation and differentiation with substantial market advantage. Efforts resulted in compelling direct-AC technology platforms that are ready for launch in multiple market segments.
Jun 2006 - Jun 2009
Managing Director System Products Development & Boise Site Manager
Managed delivery of whole product solutions including hardware, software, and firmware for development kits, reference designs, and evaluation platforms for Cypress silicon products. Organizational responsibilities also included QA, technical publications, manufacturing, and silicon validation activities.
- Directed several development teams across Cypress sites in Idaho, California, Washington, and remote teams in India and China. Direct reports included director-level staff, senior managers and senior technical staff (organizational headcount 22- 55).
- Coordinated a wide variety of projects (30-45) for Cypress USB, WirelessUSB, programmable timing solutions, optical sensor, and PSoC product lines in support of a customer base that nearly tripled during a 30 month period.
- Managed day-to-day operations of the Cypress Boise facility (44-55 employees) including monthly expense reconciliations, hiring and retention activities, quarterly reviews, and resolution of all facility issues. Utilized MBWA to stay connected with the employees.
- Transitioned the System Products Development group to a formal P&L ($7-12 million annually). Actively managed internal development contracts and invoicing (including outsource contracts).
- Chaired review boards chartered with overseeing product development, quality standards, schedule compliance, and continuous process improvement. Formal methods used included Root Cause Corrective Action (RCCA), 8D, and 5Ss.
- Directed ongoing refinement of Cypress whole product development processes and metrics that resulted in a low RMA rate (less than 0.15%).
- Oversaw dramatic increases in kit types (nearly 100%) and also kit shipments (over 300%) during a three-year period.
Oct 2005 - Jun 2006
Software Engineering Director
Managed development of firmware, Windows and Mac device drivers, development tools, manufacturing software utilities, development kits, reference design kits, and customer designs.
- Directed several development teams across three Cypress sites in Idaho and California, and remote employees in several U.S. locations and one in the U.K. (organization headcount 25).
- Oversaw refinements of Cypress system development processes – provided input and reviewed corporate system solution and whole product plans.
- Coordinated and drove integration of software and firmware processes, methodologies, and resources after the merger of four internal Cypress organizations.
Sep 2001 - Oct 2005
Sr. Software Engineering Manager
Managed delivery of firmware, Windows and Mac device drivers, development tools, manufacturing software, development kits, reference design kits, and custom designs.
- Directed engineers across three Cypress sites in Idaho and California and a remote employee in Arizona (organizational headcount 10-13).
- Actively participated on a team creating the Cypress system development roadmap and lifecycle to formalize the product development process. Helped champion the new process.
- Coordinated domestic outsourcing efforts to deliver of GNU-based development tools, device drivers for a variety of RTOS environments, and a software/firmware outsource in India.
- Championed organization and integration of software development between ISD and Cypress.
May 1997 - Sep 2001
R&D Program Manager
In-System Design (acquired by Cypress in 2001)
Managed delivery of next-gen imaging platforms for consortium of imaging OEMs.
- Managed two engineering teams (15 direct reports) developing next generation inkjet SoC for OEM partners. Oversaw mixed language development environment (VHDL and Verilog) that included firmware co-simulation.
- Managed delivery of boot code, power-on diagnostics, and VxWorks device drivers for hardcopy imaging controllers (ink and laser) based on a variety of processor architectures.
- Led investigation of SoC products including a universal docking station, USB 2.0-to-PCI bridge, USB 2.0-to-Ethernet bridge, and a set-top box compute engine.
- Directed all company recruiting including on-campus activities at seven northwest universities. Thorough selection process resulted in a low engineering attrition rate (less than 7%).
Oct 1995 - May 1997
Firmware Development Engineer
Delivered system firmware for next-gen scanner accessory for LaserJet printers.
- Completed architecture, design, implementation, integration, and test of scanner firmware. Coordinated development of three other firmware engineers.
- Actively participated as the corporate computer science/computer engineering recruiter at the University of Utah.
Jan 1991 - Oct 1995
Firmware Development Engineer
Developed next-generation I/O architectures and technologies for LaserJet printer products.
- Chaired team from eight internal divisions in the definition of the MLC communication protocol (later formed the basis for the IEEE 1284.4 standard). Finalized protocol implementation in the LaserJet 5si and served as technical contact for MLC test suite and protocol tester.
- Completed implementation of the IrDA IrLMP layer in the LaserJet 5P/5MP and served as the principal technical contact for the development of a third-party test suite and hardware tester.
- Actively participated as HP representative on the IEEE 1284.4 and 1284.3 working groups and on the IrDA working group (including co-authoring the IrLMP layer specification).
Jul 1988 - Jan 1991
Software Development Engineer
Enhanced and maintained software components of HP commercial CAEE offering.
- Enhanced portion the software interface between the HP Electronic Design System and the System Hilo simulator from Genrad, Inc. Ported software components that provided a bi-directional link between the HP EDS design and prototype verification environments.
Nov 1987 - Jun 1988
Delivery of system solution (hardware and firmware) for USGS contract.
- Completed the design and implementation of hardware and test firmware for a microprocessor-based remote sensing device. The system included an optical shaft encoder designed for coupling with a float and pulley mechanism.