English Language Teacher & Writing Coach
1). Independent Business Owner, English skills tutoring.
2). Cartus Intercultural and Language Solutions, relocation specialists for Microsoft: Have taught 350+ clients and their family members in one-on-one sessions ranging from 20 hours over several weeks to 100's of hours over several years.
3). Bellevue College Writing Lab tutor (2007-2010)
All aspects of English, English as a Second Language, & Writing skills development:
Writing: Analyze samples of writer's own emails, reports, papers -- then, collaborate to improve:
- Grammar: Identify, explain, correct errors. Improve word & phrasing choice accuracy.
- Clarity: Reduce wordiness, redundancy, ambiguity. Raise non-standard English to standard.
- Flow: Transition sentences & paragraphs. Present logically, chronologically, or consequentially.
- Feature & Highlight: Revise, rephrase, & reorganize to ensure what's important gets noticed.
- Credibility: Support & illustrate claims with research, stats, expert opinions, or stories.
- Impact: Craft content to deliver impactul, on-target messages.
Vocabulary: Customize useful word & phrase banks, then design & employ exercises to capture & own them so can first, understand the speech of others, and second, use them ourselves to express our thoughts, wants, & needs.
Pronunciation: Inventory challenging words & sounds, then design drills to improve accuracy and thereby understandability.
Conversation: Improve fluency during live verbal exchanges by expanding vocabulary of frequently encountered words & phrases, drilling to improve pronunciation clarity, and explaining correctness of grammar, choice, & usage.
Resumes & Bios: Refine content & design layout (20-25 delivered to date).
Test Prep: SAT, SSAT, AP courses, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL
Intercultural Communication, US & World: History & Culture:
Enable newcomers to the US to become more comfortable in common scenarios so they can better appreciate & enjoy differences between cultures on the ground of our common humanity.
- Deep passion for mutual appreciation of individual & cultural diversity..
- Solid grounding in world history & cultures.
- Lived and taught in Russia 15 mos, India 1 mo, & Philippines 1 mo.
Educational Entrepreneur -- Turned part-time business into full-time by:
- Maintaining conversion rate of 15% wins out of 2,000 bids in highly competitive environment answering RFP's (Requests for Proposals) for ESL tutoring to Microsoft international transfers & their family members as part of relocation packages.
- Word-of-mouth referrals by own private clients & students.