RICHARD L. SCHULTE
14558 Wildgrove Road Home: 858-679-9566
Poway, CA 92064 Cell: 978-302-3867
Accomplished and versatile executive, leading growth-oriented b-c and b-b direct marketing, direct sales and manufacturing organizations. Specific experience managing P&L’s at the corporate and business unit level, as well as, integrated marketing models, supply chain operations, manufacturing and call centers. Demonstrated ability to work strategically across a broad range of disciplines.
National Pen Corporation,CEO October, 2006 – December, 2008
Provided short and long term direction to this $250 million direct marketer, supplier and manufacturer of promotional products sold to small businesses throughout North America and Europe.
- Developed and implemented a comprehensive strategic growth plan, bringing focus and direction to 2,000 employees located in Europe, Mexico, the Philippines, Canada and the United States.
- Increased revenues by 11% over a two year period, achieved organically and through acquisition.
- Drove the transformation from a product focused organization to one, market and customer centric.
- Transitioned to a significantly improved management team, driving a culture of professionalism and accountability.
- Led the acquisition and integration of Atlas, a $30 million promotional products company.
- Fully integrated all marketing and sales channels, maximizing customer potential.
- Developed and implemented missing and required infrastructure in the areas of supply chain, forecasting and product development.
- Improved reporting and performance analytics across all company disciplines.
Deluxe Corporation, Inc. 1995 – 2006
A $1.8 billion market leader, manufacturing and marketing a wide range of personalized printed products and services to financial institutions, consumers, and small businesses throughout North America.
President, Deluxe Small Business Services 2004 – 2006
Provided strategic leadership for a $1 billion, 5,000-employee business unit focused on serving the needs of small businesses.
- Led the successful acquisition of $700 million small business services provider, New England Business Service. (NEBS)
- Led integration of NEBS, resulting in over $30 million of annualized savings in year one.
- Successfully orchestrated the transition to a new senior management team and organizational structure.
- As a member of the executive leadership team, provided corporate input related to strategic planning, employee engagement, possible acquisitions, employee benefits, and IT infrastructure.
President, Deluxe Business Services & Supply Chain 2000 – 2004
Provided strategic direction and management to a $250 million business unit, engaged in the manufacturing and marketing of business checks, forms, and related products and services to small businesses.
Directed supply chain operations in support of all Deluxe business units, including product engineering, inventory management, procurement, and distribution.
- Orchestrated growth in business unit sales of 35% over 3 years, through new marketing channel development, new product introduction, call center alignment, and new customer acquisition initiatives.
- Profits grew by 24% through aggressive cost management, inventory reductions, contact strategy maximization, and rigorous financial management.
- Established a 5-year strategic plan aimed at delivering strong growth and transforming a business less reliant on a declining check payments industry.
- Led transformation of a call center, focused solely on service, to one inclusive of selling and thereby equipped to maximize lifetime value of our small business customer.
- Removed over $20 million in supply chain costs, achieved through product re-engineering efforts, obsolete materials reduction, logistics-related projects, strategic procurement, and capital equipment investment.
Senior Vice President, Supply Chain & Operations 1999 – 2000
Led the management of 13 manufacturing sites and 4,000 employees located throughout the United States, as well as provided supply chain support to all business units, including product engineering, inventory management, procurement, engineering, and distribution.
- Improved organizational design and development of supplier diversity practices that increased procurement spending levels in this area by 35%.
- Championed initial implementation of new manufacturing configuration, centered on a lean and cellular environment. This is the model used in all Deluxe facilities today and resulted in more than a 10% reduction in cost of goods sold.
- Restructured and realigned two base stock web production facilities, setting the stage for significant improvement in all key metrics used to measure site performance and increase employee engagement levels.
President, Checks Unlimited 1995 - 1999
Provided strategic direction and management of this $200 million, 1,200-employee, direct marketer and manufacturer of personal and business check products.
· Increased revenues by 68% over 4 years by aggressively procuring limited advertising space, re-engineering the call center, new check design roll-outs, and introduction of a business products line.
- Profits generated grew by 76%, driven largely by significant gains made in maximizing revenue on a per-order basis and cost containment initiatives.
- Led the infrastructure separation from a sister company being divested, inclusive of systems, business lines, and brand. Subsequently drove integration with parent company, Deluxe, in the areas of human resources and finance.
- Established a succession planning process that effectively moved exempt employees through various functional disciplines, resulting in a stronger and more experienced leadership group.
Current, Inc. 1978 – 1995
A direct marketer and manufacturer of paper products, including greeting cards, gift wrap, calendars, cookbooks, and wall decorations. Additional small gifts offered, such as ornaments, bows, figurines, and toys, were sourced overseas.
Vice President, Marketing 1993 – 1995
Set strategy and provided direction to the areas of forecasting, sales analysis, circulation planning, promotional planning, and catalog production.
- Started and managed a new business unit that produced and direct-marketed address labels, driving revenues to over $20 million.
- Increased the number of retail outlet stores from 8 to 12 in three states, generating $25 million in sales of clearance inventory.
Vice President, Materials and Customer Service 1989 – 1993
Directed the activities of engineering, new product development, procurement, inventory planning, customer service, and quality assurance, ensuring product speed to market and high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Developed international sourcing infrastructure, formalizing issues such as quality, service, and pricing.
· Led the design and build-out of a phone order entry department.
Director, Manufacturing 1981 – 1989
Increasing responsibilities over an 8-year period in manufacturing. Provided direction to a work force of 1,000 employees in a sheet-fed, offset printing environment. This included printing, bindery, warehousing, packaging, and order fulfillment operations.
- Implemented quality programs and performance monitoring metrics, and led numerous capital projects that met the needs of a high-growth business.
- Provided leadership to over 20 quality circle teams and actively led team training in support of those efforts.
Manager, Production Scheduling 1978 – 1981
Managed the efficient scheduling of pressroom and bindery operations, and converted marketing forecasts into raw material requirements plans.
University of Wyoming Bachelor of Science, Marketing 1978
NACD Role of Board in Risk Oversight 2004
and Succession Planning
Harvard Business School Making Corporate Boards More Effective 2002
Carlson School of Management 21st Century Program 2002
United Way National Chairperson for Deluxe 2002
United Way Leadership Giving Chairperson for Deluxe 2003
Mentor for Minnesota Menttium 100 Program 2002 & 2003
North Central Massachusetts United Way Board of Directors 2006