Results-oriented IT Executive with 19 years of experience. Collaborates with executives, technicians, and end users to design solutions that align with business goals and realize business value. Blends in/outsource strategy, internal/external resources, and vendor relationships to deliver high-quality service while minimizing IT spending. Executes large-scale projects on time and below budget. Integrates business and IT activities for nationwide private and federal organizations, experience managing systems for 60 to 200 locations.
Jun 2007 - Jan 2009
Senior Vice President, Information Technology
Surgical Care Affiliates, LLC (SCA)
SURGICAL CARE AFFILIATES, LLC, BIRMINGHAM, AL 2007-2009Senior Vice President, Information Technology (CIO)
Managed the buildup and transition of all aspects of IT service delivery for a $600-million startup organization, including budgeting, staffing, in/outsource strategy, telecommunications strategy, governance, support, project management, and infrastructure services. Built service catalog and vendor relationships, including hosting management, ERP support and management, telecom, WAN/routers, hardware, desktop support, wireless, security, and asset tracking. Oversaw operating budget in excess of $14 million and capital budget in excess of $6 million.
- Executed successful separation of IT services from former parent company to full independence.
- Executed outsourced data center and services transition including: 11 terabytes of data, server virtualization from 160 to 121, 154 database instances, 165 Blackberry users, 80 major applications, 130 remote facilities, 156 network devices, 2,300 desktops/laptops, and 3,400 nationwide users.
- Completed outsourced-services transition on time, below $4.1 million budget, and with $0 negative impact on company cash flow.
- Transitioned all corporate-office technology to a new home-office location, on time and below $1.1 million budget.
- Negotiated $2.5 million in cost savings on IT sourcing services fees over a five-year contract term.
- Negotiated $400,000 in annual cost savings on existing telecom services.
- Negotiated $350,000 in cost savings on consulting engagement for IT sourcing selection.
- Replaced desktop/laptop hardware vendor to generate $0.5 million in savings with hardware refresh cycle.
- Designed voice-over-IP strategy that will realize company $4 million annually when fully deployed.
- Built department from 3 staff on Day 1 to 65 blended in/outsourced staff.
- Oversaw automation of daily dashboards, reporting, and budgeting through selection and implementation of business-intelligence tool.
Jul 1994 - Jun 2007
Vice President, ASC Systems & Other Positions
HEALTHSOUTH CORPORATION, BIRMINGHAM, AL 1994-2007
Vice President, Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) Systems, 2003-2007
Vice President, Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) Division, 2002-2003
Vice President, Payor Contracting, 2001-2002
Assistant Vice President, Business Analyst Group, 1999-2001
Director, Managed Care Information Systems, 1996-1999
Systems Analyst, 1994-1996
Freelance Consultant, 1994
Led technology strategy, application selection, major projects, and business continuity plan for $700-million ASC Division. As executive sponsor, oversaw deployment projects of networks, hardware, and billing systems with budgets ranging from $3 to $8 million in both ambulatory and inpatient business segments. As business intelligence leader, engaged with national associations, federal government officials, and local government agencies to model legislative impacts and deliver response comments to changes proposed by the Center for Medicare Services. Conceived and managed development of multiple applications to support revenue growth, implement governance in business-operating processes, and consolidate systems. Managed sub-department operating budgets ranging from $450,000 to $2.2 million and headcounts of 3 to 20.
- Led technology transition, services negotiation, and data modeling for ASC Division asset sale.
- Completed $8 million billing-system deployment to 185 centers on time and $3 million under budget.
- Completed $4 million hardware refresh project on time and 10% below budget.
- Completed $5 million project to install networks in 96 facilities on time and 15% below budget.
- Completed code standardization and integration of 175 billing systems to general ledger to meet financial-control requirements of Sarbanes-Oxley legislation.
- Completed assembly of all accounting data for ASC Division for company financial restatement.
- Generated $3.5 million in one-time revenue through inpatient business-intelligence tool creation.
- Generated $6 million annually through creation of managed-care decision-support tool.
- Negotiated $1.6 million of cost savings on purchase of specialty-hospital patient accounting system.
- Negotiated 10% or $100,000 of cost savings annually on ASC billing-system maintenance.
- Supported strategic plans for $2.2 billion in federal revenue through business intelligence models.
- Consolidated multiple disparate systems into single clinical-outcomes system.
Oct 1992 - Jun 1994
PC Programmer Analyst I, PC Programmer Analyst II
Tenet Healthcare (Formerly National Medical Enterprises)
Managed field-based patient outcomes system used in 28 locations.Managed development, deployment, and change management activities for corporate-based executive information system.Managed development, deployment, and centralized reporting system for field-based sales CRM package used at 137 field locations.