• The Fragrance Foundation’s “Fragrance Hall of Fame” Award – Vera Wang Fragrance (2008) • Fashion Group International “Rising Star” Award Semi-Finalist – Renée Ryan (2007) • Ex.Tracts “Best New Product Award – Best in Show” – Sexy Beast™ Brand (2007) • Ex.Tracts “Best New Product Award – Cosmetic and Fragrance” Sexy Beast™ Powder (2007) • The Cosmetic Executive Women’s “Fragrance Introduction of the Year” Award – Vera Wang (2003) • The Fragrance Foundation’s “Woman’s Fragrance Packaging of the Year” Award – Vera Wang (2003) • The Fragrance Foundation’s “Fragrance Star of the Year” Award – Vera Wang Fragrance (2003)
Ryan Basics is a full-service cosmetics and fragrance consulting firm specializing in concept and brand development, product formulating and marketing of new cosmetic products and brands. Most recently Ryan Basics co-founded and launched its first major project outside of the cosmetics world. Welcome to COMPANY, an on-line community and secondary market for emerging art collectors, is the first peer-to-peer website of its kind. Ryan Basics provided creative direction for the brand and continues to oversee the site's SEO, SEM, SMM, public relations and daily digital content creation and management.
In 2009, Ryan Basics completed work on an exclusive private-label lifestyle brand for LXR Luxury Resorts, a new collection of luxury properties owned by affiliates of Blackstone Real Estate Advisors. CLEAR by LXR™ launched as an amenity resort program and will be followed by the roll out of a luxury retail brand in specialty stores nationwide.In 2008, Ryan Basics launched Blossom for Girls™, a new line of lifestyle products designed to teach young girls the importance of building a strong foundation for a lifetime of great skin. The 16-sku lineup consists of four unique collections of products for skin, hair, bath and body. Ryan Basics handled everything from concept, product and package development, to the design of the website.Ryan Basics completed development on new luxury pet brand, Sexy Beast™ in the early part of 2007, a brand it also owns and operates. The 20-sku lineup, consisting of fragrance, grooming products and accessories, is the first true line of pet-beauty products and creates it’s own niche in the specialty store marketplace. Ryan Basics handled everything from concept and product, packaging and web development, to manufacturing, marketing and retail distribution. Later in the year, Ryan Basics also completed development on two new men’s skincare lines for Zirh International as well as new men’s fragrance, John Varvatos Vintage.In 2005, Ryan Basics completed 4 branded product lines for The Cornelia Day Resort, New York City’s pre-eminent day spa located on Fifth Avenue. The 42-sku line-up includes two targeted skincare lines, a bath and body line and a home ambiance collection. Ryan Basics supervised all product formulations and manufacturing and developed all primary and secondary packaging and retail collateral.Prior to starting Ryan Basics, I spent two years with Unilever Cosmetics International where I worked to develop and launch the Vera Wang Fragrance – winner of the 2002 Cosmetic Executive Women’s 'Fragrance of the Year Award', as well as the Fragrance Foundation’s prestigious 'Packaging and Fragrance Star of the Year' Awards. I spent eight years in Marketing and Product Development positions with The Estée Lauder Companies and Avon Products prior to working with Unilever. I began my career with three and a half years at JP Morgan.
Presently I oversee Ryan Basics, Sexy Beast™and the Welcome to COMPANY brands.
2006 - Present
Founder and Creative Director, Luxury Pet Products and Accessories
Retailers include: Harrods, Fred Segal, Kuhl-Linscomb, New London Pharmacy, Annie O @ The Rivington Hotel
• Conceptualized, researched, developed and launched a luxury pet products and accessories brand. • Designed brand concept and developed lineup of 14 core products, from proprietary fragrance formulations to package design. • Created innovative marketing strategies to spread brand awareness, including a mobile demo and retail unit and in-store retail events, such as the highest-grossing trunk show in Henri Bendel's history.
• Developed successful distribution relationships with major and niche outlets such as Harrods, Fred Segal, Kuhl-Linscomb, New London Pharmacy and Annie O @ The Rivington Hotel. • Generated positive media in major press channels such as Allure, Star, OK, VOGUE, Time Out New York, FOX, CNBC, New York Daily News, Shape, The Boston Herald and Daily Candy, among many others. • Managed a staff of 10, budgets and financial planning and IP filings.
2003 - Present
President, Beauty & Fragrance Consulting
Clients include: John Varvatos, Zirh Skincare, The Cornelia Day Resort, Blossom for Girls and LXR Luxury Resorts
• Consult clients from the beauty and fragrance industries on new product development, brand launch and brand repositioning • Successfully pitched the President of LXR Luxury Resorts, a multibillion dollar collection of 33 high-end resort properties owned by the Blackstone Group, on developing and launching a full collection of branded hotel amenities. • Developed and launched 43 branded product SKUs across skin, body, fragrance and home categories for a 20,000 square foot New York day spa. • Created John Varvatos Vintage, a hallmark scent for the upscale fashion brand.
2011 - Present
• Provide strategic and creative direction in the branding, development and launch of a new and untapped
segment in the emerging art world; peer-to-peer secondary market sales for collectors.
• Oversee website SEO, SEM, SMM, public relations and daily digital content creation and management.
• Produce a six-episode television series highlighting new artists from the five boroughs of New York City.
• Develop a mobile art gallery to bring artist work to new audiences and cultivate the Welcome to COMPANY brand.
• Canvas arts programs and smaller exhibitions to identify and recruit new artists for the network.
2001 - 2003
Senior Product Manager, Vera Wang and Chloé Fragrances
• Created the first-ever fragrance line for designer Vera Wang: developed brand extension concept, packaging design and marketing and distribution strategy for seven product SKUs.
• Drove product rollout strategy at top-tier retailers such as Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdale's; orchestrated in-store events featuring Vera Wang, setting milestones such as Saks' highest- grossing in-store personal appearance/ • Executed a successful brand extension for Vera Wang that led to numerous awards, successful performance in the marketplace and recent induction into the Fragrance Hall of Fame. • Manage existing Chloé Classic and Chloé Narcisse fragrance brands from ongoing marketing initiatives to a complete brand redesign strategy.
1998 - 2000
Assistant Manager - Makeup Product Development Worldwide
• Managed an R&D team in developing new product formulations for this iconic beauty brand's color line.
• Designed seasonal color stories based on emerging beauty trends for major retailers. • Researched and composed in-depth trend presentations and personally presented to company President & CEO, Leonard Lauder.
1997 - 1998
Administrator - Special Events
• Developed all themes and collateral for over 15 major in-store events per year for the Clinique brand. • Produced radio ads to promote and directed in-store photo shoots.
1995 - 1997
Coordinator - Skinare Marketing
• Collaborated with Product Development teams to understand new skincare product formulations to inform marketing efforts and rollouts; coordinated in-store marketing and sampling programs.