I aim to have a career in print journalism. I am a proficient writer and an experienced editor and feel I would excel in either profession.
I am sophomore at Longwood University pursuing a communications degree with a concentration in mass media as well as a minor in English. As is evident in my portfolio, I have primarily dedicated myself to The Rotunda, Longwood's campus newspaper. I joined the newspaper's editorial board as an assistant copy editor in September 2010 and was elected lead copy editor in April 2011. I am also a regular reporter for the newspaper.
In addition, I am involved in Chi Alpha, a campus ministry, and DASH, a community service organization. The combination of my abilities to report and edit a multitude of articles, as well my capability to interact with others in various settings, have prompted me to pursue a career in print journalism.
· Part of a renowned campus newspaper’s editorial board
· Proficient writer with experience in writing a variety of articles
· Skilled copy editor with the ability to recognize and correct errors in grammar, spelling, facts and Associated Press Style
· Excels in working with others and the act of group decision-making
· Experience with various software programs such as InDesign and Adobe Photoshop
· Shadowed and worked with experienced professionals at multiple publications
Aug 2010 - Present
Bachelor of Arts
Sep 2010 - Present
I joined the editorial board as an assistant copy editor in September 2010. I proofread articles and identified and corrected errors in grammar, facts, spelling and Associated Press style. I also copy edited newspaper pages on InDesign and became familiar with the program in doing so.
In April 2011, I was elected as lead copy editor. I proceeded to perform all of the above tasks, in addition to managing three assistants.
I also report regularly for The Rotunda and write primarily News and Features articles.