Watching and playing sports, traveling, outdoor activities, spending time with family and friends and trying new things.
My name is Rachel Starr and I'm a student at the University of Oregon. I am on the verge of graduating college, and I'm looking forward to getting my career started. I am passionate about sports, and I grew up playing soccer and basketball. I want to combine my love of sports with my education and work in sports communication. I am also passionate about traveling and have been blessed with parents who gave me the opportunity to travel and explore beautiful places.
I am interning at the University of Oregon in the media relations department. Working at the University helped me gain experience working in-house. Before this internship, I had not considered working in-house for an organization, but my interest in working for a corporation or business has grown.
I write a sports blog that focuses on sports entertainment, sports business and sports PR. I grew up surrounded by sports, and it has taught me discipline, hard work, and it made me a good team player. I accredit playing sports for building my work ethic, drive and focus. I have included a link to my blog above.
Sep 2011 - Present
Media Relations Intern
University of Oregon
- Write and edit news releases about University of Oregon events and news for media outlets.
- Shoot video footage for Inside Oregon, an online publication for the University of Oregon, which is seen by 7,000 members of faculty and staff.
- Conduct video interviews for video segments on Inside Oregon and the University of Oregon website.
- Create multimedia projects for Inside Oregon.
- Manage InsideOregon Twitter account by posting news to 800 followers throughout the day and create engagement by re-tweeting stories of interest for University of Oregon faculty and staff.
- Create, update and distribute media contact rosters using MEDIAtlas, a global media database.
- Help the media relations office with special events, such as ESPN's College GameDay and the U.S. Olympic Trials.
Jun 2007 - Dec 2011
Front of House Staff
Ron's Island Grill
This is a high school job that I have stuck with through college because of its flexibility, and it pays for all my needs. This job shows that I have longevity and a great work ethic. I have learned how to delegate tasks, take initiative, manage my time, build communication skills and improve my customer service.
Mar 2008 - Present
Bachelor of Science
University of Oregon
I'm a senior at the University of Oregon. I am in the process of finishing up school, and I'm expected to graduate in June 2012. I have a Bachelor of Science in journalism. I'm majoring in public relations and minoring in economics and communication studies. My class work includes multimedia projects, social media and public relations writing.