Modells Sporting Goods
Modell's Sporting Goods, New York, New York 1990-2008Vice President-General Merchandise Manager - Footwear Division (1996 - 2005 Responsible for overall direction and strategic planning/vision for the Footwear Division, accounting for sales of $195MM. Financial accountability included sales, initial margins, inventory turnover and markdowns with focus on maintaining profitability and the overall bottom line.
- Developed, trained and initiated key restructuring of staff to grow the Footwear Division from $89MM to $193MM in 9 years.
- Established and created an aggressive coop marketing program/plan that resulted in an incremental $1MM to offset advertising expenses.
- Selected by the President to lead all aspects of Grand Openings including current and new markets.
- Merchant leader for EDI Task Force. Took vendor compliance from 40% to 90% within one year.
- Advisory Board participant to execute all company growth and development strategies to build the largest privately held sporting goods chain in the US. Key Board Members were CEO's from Starbucks, Phillip Van Heusen, and Barnes & Noble.
- Lead merchant on the Executive Committee to drive all company operational policies & procedures responsible for the benefit and stability of 5,000 associates. Also a participant in the decision making process of all future real estate opportunities in the Mid-Atlantic States.
- Developed and implemented a comprehensive private label footwear program under the Smith Label. This included all design, packaging, sourcing, pricing and marketing from beginning to end. First year program resulted in $25MM in sales.