Accomplished and creative business executive with 25+ years in retail consumer marketing / management, sales and licensing with exceptional track record. Extensive background includes: Vendor negotiations, consumer marketing and trend analysis, product development, and product sku management. Proficient in budgeting and P & L management. Effective communicator who can lead a team and organization to high achievement. Mentored and managed over 20 associates to successful careers.
Modells Sporting Goods
Modell's Sporting Goods, New York, New York 1990-2008Vice President-General Merchandise Manager - Footwear Division (1996 - 2005 Responsible for overall direction and strategic planning/vision for the Footwear Division, accounting for sales of $195MM. Financial accountability included sales, initial margins, inventory turnover and markdowns with focus on maintaining profitability and the overall bottom line.
- Developed, trained and initiated key restructuring of staff to grow the Footwear Division from $89MM to $193MM in 9 years.
- Established and created an aggressive coop marketing program/plan that resulted in an incremental $1MM to offset advertising expenses.
- Selected by the President to lead all aspects of Grand Openings including current and new markets.
- Merchant leader for EDI Task Force. Took vendor compliance from 40% to 90% within one year.
- Advisory Board participant to execute all company growth and development strategies to build the largest privately held sporting goods chain in the US. Key Board Members were CEO's from Starbucks, Phillip Van Heusen, and Barnes & Noble.
- Lead merchant on the Executive Committee to drive all company operational policies & procedures responsible for the benefit and stability of 5,000 associates. Also a participant in the decision making process of all future real estate opportunities in the Mid-Atlantic States.
- Developed and implemented a comprehensive private label footwear program under the Smith Label. This included all design, packaging, sourcing, pricing and marketing from beginning to end. First year program resulted in $25MM in sales.
May 2011 - Feb 2011
Pangea Brands, New York, New York June 2010 - Present
President -Manufacturer of Licensed Hard Lines / Apparel
Develop long and short-term strategic merchandise initiatives in conjunction with Ownership. Provide leadership and idea generation for sales growth and margin optimization while ensuring distinctive and trend relevant assortments. First year growth grew over 200%. Target for "2011" to over $10MM by successfully launching 8 new product categories with the professional sports teams (NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, NCAA & Marvel Enterprises) across the US and Canadian Markets.
- Responsible for the overall development, structure and corporate discipline with the purpose to formulate strategies, establish goals and objectives that can be executable.
- Incorporate customer insights, external competitive trends, and product pricing to achieve the overall strategy.
- Create & manage the development timeline matrix. Responsible for costing functions, price optimization and margin goals.
- Vendor negotiations, materials and component selection as well as product forecasting and inventory management.
- Oversee all corporate licensing, product/packaging development and creative process. Also, responsible for all licensing contracts and working with corporate attorneys on all negotiations.
- Manage daily operations of proprietary licensed products from PO to final shipment. This includes working with all overseas factories and logistic team to hit customer delivery dates. Responsible for all QC/QA and inspection process to make sure all products meet required mandated ETL federal regulations.
Oct 2007 - May 2010
AVP-Divisional merchandise Manager
- Restructured and developed a new merchandising platform to drive sales and profits at retail resulting in the domination of the team licensed and branded categories within the markets Bob's Stores competes.
- Developed with the professional sports leagues & Reebok to integrate a new in-store visual platform. This included proprietary player imagery, custom Major League Baseball hat fixture, and exclusive national in-store signage campaign.
- Negotiated and executed the first integrated concept shops with Under Armour & Russell Athletic in 34 stores resulting in a 15% comp store increase year over year resulting in $10MM in additional sales on an annual basis.
- Implemented the marketing, merchandising and advertising of 6 World Championships that resulted in over $16MM of incremental sales.
- Negotiated an exclusive relationship with Adalius Thomas of the New England Patriots to support his charity (Humble Pie) to serve children against illiteracy resulting in a $35,000 donation.
Jan 2005 - Jan 2008
Vice President - GMM
Modells Sporting goods
Served as Lead product merchant for a $635MM retailer in 11 states, encompassing Footwear, Apparel and Sporting Goods with direct report to the President and Owner. Responsible for the overall direction and strategic planning/vision for the hard lines division, accounting for sales of $190MM. Financial accountability included sales, initial margins, inventory turnover and markdowns with focus on maintaining profitability and the overall bottom line. Implemented established and executed an integrated merchandising and marketing strategy that is consistent with overall corporate objectives. Developed and executed all sporting goods advertising, marketing and sales programs for 128 stores. Leader of 20 subordinates all working towards a common goal of growth & profits and individual career enhancement.
- Restructured and developed a strategic marketing platform to invigorate sales and profits within this category. Created advertising and merchandising campaign (Play like a Pro), which was eventually trademarked by the company.
- Established and created a strategic assortment program within the sporting goods categories that resulted in an incremental $35MM in sales over the past 18 months.
- Achieved the highest maintain margins within the division in18 months compared to the last 10 years on record.
- Continual focus on the consumer, while creating new products, programs and packaging to maximize sales dollars per square foot, resulting in the best margins in over 10 years.
- Exceptional multi tasking that was able to consistently execute to meet corporate objectives and goals, resulting in 17 years of exceptional performance reviews.
- Implemented the product development and marketing for Everlast workout equipment, which was licensed and solely operated by Modell's Sporting Goods. This included branding, packaging, color selection, pricing and consumer marketing. This program created a consistent message and segmentation that separated us from our competition resulting in $10MM in sales in a three month time frame.