University of California-Irvine
Cumulative GPA 3.905
Cumulative GPA 3.905
Cumulative GPA 3.542
Provide after-hours coverage for Palo Verde Housing Office. Respond to resident and community issues requiring immediate intervention and assessment. Provide routine access to recreation facilities.
Tutor high school students on various topics including the college enrollment process.
Monitor nickel, chrome, gold, silver, acid, oxidizing and cleaning bath chemistry through titrations and pH for required additions to maintain baths at optimum conditions. Test wastewater with Hach Colorimeter. Maintain and calibrate lab equipment. Keep inventory of lab and plating bath chemicals. Troubleshooting of plating baths when necessary through the use of Hull Cells.
Open store on weekends.Book keeping to ensure monetary amounts in safe are consistent with records.Maintain cash registers at lowest effective minimum.Handle customer complaints, train new employees, take customer orders, and maintain restaurant cleanliness.
Prepare standards for the gas chromatograph and run samples for the identification of contaminants in aircraft fluids. Identify flame point of various jet fuels.
My thesis project focuses on elucidating the DNA damage responses of mitotic cells by laser microsurgery of chromosomes. Few laboratories have looked at the response to DNA damage in mitosis due to the experimental difficulties associated with this phase of the cell cycle. Most cell lines demonstrate cell rounding and detachment from the substrate during mitosis often making it difficult to study these cells. Not with standing these difficulties it is of importance to determine how cells respond when DNA damage is created in mitosis; since little evidence exists for a DNA damage checkpoint that will halt mitotics from distributing compromised DNA to daughter cells. The loss of genomic integrity can lead to developmental disorders, tumorigenesis, or cell senescence.
To obtain a position within science.
1) Induction of DNA Damage by Use of A NIR Femtosecond Laser. Gomez., V.G.,Wakida., N.M.,Berns., M.W.2006 Sigma Xi National Student Research Conference and Meeting.November 2006. Detroit, Michigan.
2) Recruitment of DNA damage recognition and repair pathway proteins following near-IR femtosecond laser irradiation of cells. Gomez., V.G., Wakida., N.M. Dvornikov, A.S., Berns., MW. AAAS Annual Meeting (American Association for the Advancement of Science) February 2007. San Francisco, Ca.
3) DNA repair following laser micro-irradiation of mitotic chromosomes in PTK2 cells.
Gomez, V.G., Liaw, L., Lee, C. S, Wakida, N. M., Shi, L., Garces-Chavez, V., Berns, M.W. 48th Annual Meeting for the American Society for Cell Biology.December 2008. San Francisco, Ca.
4) Analysis of the DNA Damage Response in Mitosis. Gomez., V.G., Berns., M.W. AAAS Annual Meeting (American Association for the Advancement of Science) February 2011. Washington D.C.
Wu T, Mohanty S, Gomez-Godinez V, Shi LZ, Liaw LH, Miotke J, Meyer RL, Berns MW.
J R Soc Interface. 2011 Aug 10.
2. Analysis of DNA double-strand break response and chromatin structure in mitosis using laser microirradiation. Gomez-Godinez V, Wu T, Sherman AJ, Lee CS, Liaw LH, Zhongsheng Y, Yokomori K, Berns MW. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010 Dec 1;38(22):e202. Epub 2010 Oct 4.PMID: 20923785 [�
3. Comparative analysis of different laser systems to study cellular responses to DNA damage in mammalian cells. Kong X, Mohanty SK, Stephens J, Heale JT, Gomez-Godinez V, Shi LZ, Kim JS, Yokomori K, Berns MW. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009 May;37(9):e68.4. Recruitment of DNA damage recognition and repair pathway proteins following near-IR femtosecond laser irradiation of cells. Gomez-Godinez V, Wakida NM, Dvornikov AS, Yokomori K, Berns MW.
J Biomed Opt. 2007 Mar-Apr;12(2):020505.PMID: 17477704
I am fascinated by the way laws affect society and by the impact of science in society. I am interested in helping shape the way that science is taught to younger generations.
The Minority Health and Health Disparities International Research Training ( MHIRT) Program, Summer 2011Edward Steinhaus Teaching Award, 2009Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate Competitive-Edge Program, Summer 2007Excellence in Research, School of Biological Sciences 2007Excellent Poster Presentation Award. Sigma Xi Annual Meeting. November 2006.Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC) 2006-2007Minority in Biomedical Research Support (MBRS) 2005-2007 Chancellors Scholarship, 2002-2003 Lilly Endowment/Kern County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Foundation Scholarship 2002. Citizens Scholarship Foundation of America/Burger King Scholars Program. 2002. McDonald's National Employee Scholarship Program. 2002. Governors Golden State Exam Scholarship-2001