A multi-discipline technology professional with a unique blend of selling, marketing, engineering and operations experience. Profit/Loss responsibilities and budgets in excess of $100M.Demonstrated track record of growing revenues, improving efficiencies and achieving goals across company and product lifecycles.International business experience.
Program and Project Management
Network Design and Deployment
Hardware and Software Engineering
Product Planning and Development
Transformational Product Strategies
B-2-B Sales and Marketing Programs and Management
2007 - Present
Consultant - Owner
Independent consultant focused on Transformational Product Strategies. Research, analyze and recommend new product lines that are outside of the client’s core lines of business. Develop and deploy solutions for field pilots and conduct trials to demonstrate product capabilities. Market development and sales activities for innovative RFID solutions.
Challenge: Assist Fortune 150 clients in evaluating technologies for new products with high-margin revenue potential that are outside of the company’s core lines of business. Represent startup company's line of advanced Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) solutions to target markets.
- Market Analysis – Complete qualitative and quantitative analysis to indentify potential new offers that were synergistic with existing product lines and within the competency of the company’s existing sales force.
- Project Management – Manage field pilot at client’s operating coal mine to demonstrate new product capabilities.Closely coordinate user requirements, development, deployment, training and create key findings from pilot activities.
- Technology Assessment – Complete detailed review of wireless technologies, create cost benefit analysis of potential solutions based on product requirements and make recommendation to client.
2005 - 2006
President & CEO
Guided $12M England based Software as a Service (SaaS) company through a voluntary restructuring and moved company to a positive cash flow position. Started business operations in the USA. Established all agreements required to operate as a full turnkey solution provider. Completed initial market development activities in target verticals (oil & gas and structured wiring), signed initial customers and delivered products and services in 4 states.
Challenge:The English company was at risk of losing its biggest customer, British SKY Broadcasting, and 90% of its revenue due to their inability deliver contracted software upgrades. Converted software development function into a distributed model with design centers in USA, UK and India.Actively negotiated new project schedule and contract extension with SKY and obtained commitment on long term revenues.
- Cost Reduction – Outsourcing of key software development activities reduced costs by 25% and increased available man hours by 40%.Software upgrades were ultimately delivered to SKY ahead of their other software vendors.
- Business Development – Organized USA operations from scratch including business planning, brand development, administrative and legal tasks, partner agreements, staffing and initial sales activities.
- Product Development – Redesigned product software to conform to USA market requirements.Established USA data centers for delivery of web services, created marketing materials and defined service delivery and support processes.
2004 - 2005
Chief Technology Officer
Completed development of a novel GPS/GSM based real-time animal tracking device for a 5 year old, third round company. Exclusively used contracted resources from eight companies for engineering, prototyping, testing and manufacturing.Successfully coordinated numerous parallel design activities to reduce time-to-market factors and received required UL, FCC and wireless carrier certifications.
Challenge:The company’s first two attempts to develop a salable product were unsuccessful.Investor pressure was building to launch the product and remaining funds for development were contingent on performance to plan.A successful rapid development cycle was required for the company to move forward.Completed design, prototyping, hardware and software development, tooling, manufacturing, and FCC certification in 6.5 months.
- Product Development and Manufacturing – Maintained schedule for all product development activities.Typical development cycles for this type of product are 12-18 months.Hired and coordinated all third party contractors.
- Investor Relations – Developed prototype solution and provided product demonstrations to investors for successful $2.4M round of funding.Provided regular board level reports on development status and expenditures.
- Risk Management – Manage “creative” path issues of product design to minimize time-to-market factors by successfully conducting parallel development activities across multiple subcontractors.
2002 - 2004
Consultant - Owner
Independent consultant focused on startup and early stage companies.Provided technology assessments, product planning and business case development.Assisted investors in valuating companies for acquisition and supported fund raising activities.Provided operational support and managed sales activities for growth companies.
Challenge:Simultaneously managing multiple clients with diverse business needs. Each client needed to feel that their issues where receiving my full attention and that all committed tasks were completed on time.Proactive reporting, effective time management and efficient communications allowed me to successfully complete my engagements with all clients.
- Business Development – Full company business plan development for startup and review and analysis of prospectus for acquisition target.Complete operational review and provided recommendations for cost saving measures.
- Vendor Management – Identify requirements and complete selection process for required hardware, software and manufacturing vendors.Negotiate contracts and manage vendor performance to budget and schedule goals.
- Sales Promotions – Developed promotional offerings to free up cash by quickly reducing inventory levels and hired and trained commission only sales force to execute plan.
2002 - 2002
COO role for $20M Internet & Application Service Provider (ISP/ASP) company in England.Marquee customers included TD Waterhouse and both The Guardian and Daily Mirror on-line newspapers.Developed marketing campaign for broadband services that was funded by British Telecom.Created Service Realization Team to ensure accurate proposals, service level agreements and on-time delivery of complex network, hosting and software solutions to business customers.
Challenge:Helping a small company transition from a startup model to a rapid growth business.Popular product offerings were causing faster growth than the companies systems and processes could support.Used Total Quality Management (TQM) tools to streamlined sales, service delivery and support processes.Company was able to successfully maintain its growth rate and was purchased by a competitor.
- Sales – Increased monthly sales revenues from SME markets by 38% in less than five months.
- Process Improvement – Aligned and coordinated information flow between all work groups to reduce cycle time and ensure consistent delivery of proposals, contracts, products and customer support.
- Staff Development – Provided training and support to managers and team members on proactive methods of monitoring their performance and improving results.
1999 - 2001
Chief Technology Officer
$100M mobile computing manufacturer and wireless service provider to trucking and utility companies.Key customers included SBC Communications with over 35,000 units deployed nationwide. Created long range technology strategy and received board approval.Managed engineering and operations team of 40 professionals for the development and maintenance of multiple product lines and the company’s 24x7 Network Services Center.
Challenge: Company faced significant challenges in supporting its largest customer.Faulty components caused failures that required a total recall of installed units.Volunteered to assume Executive Sponsor role and managed relationship with SBC executives.Developed resolution to component issue and upgraded all units nationwide within six months.SBC signed a contract extension as a result of improved company and product performance.
- Technology Planning – Used a three tier methodology to identify regulatory, competitive and technology trends to create a product roadmap.Established execution plans and managed development activities.
- Product Development – Implemented Rational Unified Process (RUP) for the creation of product requirements to be used in the development of new products and enhancement of existing ones.
- Customer Relations – Direct contact with key customer’s executives to provide communications on the company’s product roadmap and to facilitate the resolution of product performance issues.
1993 - 1999
Director Sales, Marketing, Engineering
Director of Sales and a founding member of the Advanced Services organization that sold emerging wireless products in an 11 state region.Offerings included cellular/PBX integration and wireless data applications.Regularly provided product briefings to Fortune 50 companies at the CXO level.Repeat National Gold Club sales award winner for over achievement.
Director of Marketing formed product management team to provide contract support and post sales implementation of advanced wireless solutions.Created and hosted Technology Open House seminars to showcase leading edge solutions in an interactive public forum.National President’s Team award winner for contributions to AT&T’s Digital PCS launch.
Director of Engineering & Operations for Texas and Louisiana.Developed and administered $106M capital and $12M annual operating budgets.Managed staff of 85 personnel in radio engineering, site acquisition, zoning, construction, regulatory compliance, and technical operations functions.Improved completion of cell site construction projects by 100% and 185% in successive years through process improvement and effective outsourcing.
Challenge:Optimizing team performance or building new teams in the engineering, marketing and sales disciplines.In all areas, teams exceeded expected performance in terms of budget, sales and operational performance.
- Technical Operations – Managed complex wireless, telephony and data across a 2 state area.Developed and administered comprehensive maintenance programs and regulatory compliance.
- Project Management – Developed plans, processes and outsourcing relationships for design and construction of hundreds of cellular radio facilities.
- Product Marketing – Developed the Addressable Market Approach to align product requirements with specific industry verticals and marketing programs to reach the target audience.