Proven track record in managing multi-region business units and brands successfully, turnarounds and completing high risk projects on schedule. Focused on customer needs, budget discipline and project schedules to drive accounts to revenue targets. Motivates employees through fair and efficient administration.
A challenging senior management position, enabling me to utilize my U.S. and international experience in business and law.
Sr. VP & Deputy Bankruptcy Trustee
Pan Am Corp.
Reported to Bankruptcy Trustee and responsible for Real Estate disposal, liquidation of all aircraft spares/tooling liquidation and large claims management.
- Marshaled, inventoried and liquidated the worldwide stock of aircraft spares, equipment and tooling having a value exceeding $750MM;
- Negotiated removal ofcomplex liens ($200MM) preventing sale; and met purchaser’s short transfer deadline;
- Negotiated 2000 administrative claims from 30 countries ($1B+);
- Managed and liquidated over 5MM sq. ft., of US/international leaseholds;
- Cleaned up two aircraft overhaul facilities at MIA and JFK under intense regulatory scrutiny with no fines or penalties.
Jan 2005 - Mar 2009
Managing Dir. Hotels & Resorts
Thomas Cook is a FTSE 100 Tour Operator with a fleet of over 90 aircraft and $10B in turnover;
·P&L responsibility for H&R Division originally consisting of 90 resort hotel/timeshare properties operated under 5 companies through fee holds, long term leases and joint ventures; approximately 16,000 rooms in Spain, France, Greece/Cyprus, Caribbean and Mexico; Division turnover: $110+ MM; 3000 peak season employees;
·Work Scope: rationalize the Division by improvement or disposal and to integrate it in the merger of Thomas Cook and My Travel PLC in 07;
·Disposals: $86MM – two JV interests (3 hotels with Sol Melia, 22 with Hotetur), and one fee hold timeshare in Canaries;
·Managed extensive international property holdings and hotel operations:
- Explorers Hotel, Resort Disney, Paris (392 rooms), www.explorershotels.com, 08 GOP of E8.3MM was 42% of sales; GOP 3 yr growth nearly 82% while providing TC 15% of peak room availability; hotel consistently outperformed all off Park hotels at Disney;
- Hi Hotels, Palma de Mallorca, Spain (26 hotels), www.hihotels.net, 08 GOP of E20 MM was 30% of sales) while providing TC 30% of peak room availability;
- Reduced Head Office costs by $2MM and reduced hotel labor costs in both France and Spain despite government mandated increases and active unions;
- Completed over $35MM of hotel quality improvement projects, including 2500 room/A/C renovations, 5 major restaurant expansions, 11 public area refurbishments, many unique attractions, numerous energy/water conservation measures and fire/safety system upgrades.
Jan 2002 - Sep 2004
Submedia was a start up Out of Home advertising company bringing a unique technology to market in the US, Europe and Asia (patented tunnel motion picture displays).
- P&L responsibility. Turnaround scope: stabilization of company in distress circumstances post 9/11; acquire contracts and franchises to build unique advertising displays under public agency procurements/bids and negotiated contracts; agencies included MTA/NYCT, MBTA, WMATA, CTA, PATH, London Underground, Paris RATP, Hong Kong, Istanbul and Tokyo.
- Stabilization accomplished in 02, reenergized sales, relocated head office and renegotiated/contracted several major sites for this unique product (NY, Atlanta and Chicago); helped raise additional capital; marketed product licenses and joint ventures for this technology in 5 countries with minimum guaranteed royalties; and completed US and international patents.
Jun 1996 - Dec 2001
Vice President, NY
Principal commercial subsidiary of Cubic Corp., a $1B San Diego based public company. CTS designs, manufactures and integrates automatic fare collection systems for public transit projects throughout the world. This includes rail, bus and parking lot systems. The company supplies contactless smart cards; magnetic stripe cards; device software; and transit hardware including gates, ticket machines and card readers.
- P&L responsibility for the contract to install and launch the New York MetroCard Program for NY City Transit and the MTA; staff of 100 management, administrative and technical personnel on site, supported by engineering and manufacturing personnel at other facilities;
- Operations included the design, testing and installation of over 15,000 pieces of sophisticated equipment and software with significant security features for the largest transit system in the world;
- Agencies included MTA/NYCT, MetroNorth, LIRR, LIB, PATH, NYCDOT, and JFK Express.
- In 1999 the MTA called MetroCard one of the most successful large Programs it had ever implemented;
- Completed installation and testing of the entire system and numerous enhancements on schedule under intense public scrutiny and difficult scheduling/station conditions;
- Proposed, won and negotiated over 200 contracts ($200MM +) for new and additional software, equipment, spares and repairs, and managed the resulting Programs at a substantial profit under a difficult contract;
- Collected all funds due and added three large public agencies to the initial contract.
Sep 1970 - Dec 1998
COL, USAR (Ret.)
US Army & Reserve
Jun 1988 - Nov 1991
VP Corporate Real Estate
Pan Am Corp.
- Managed the global property interests of the airline and its corporate group in 40 countries; annual operating budget of $100MM, capital budget of $25-40MM and concession revenue of $10MM;
- Principal leaseholds included the NYC Pan Am Bldg., JFK Worldport, Aircraft Maintenance Bases at JFK and MIA and substantial leaseholds at SFO, IAD, DCA, LAX, LHR, and FRA.
- Responsible for acquisition, management and disposition of over 10M sq. ft., including hangars, office buildings, technical shops, passenger terminals, retail concessions, cargo facilities and computer data centers; managed five unions and staff of 250;
- Extensive negotiating and master planning with major US and international airport authorities.
Oct 1980 - Jun 1988
VP & General Counsel
- Pan Am World Services provided comprehensive services for large government facilities, bases and technical centers such as the Trident Sub bases, Cape Canaveral, Los Alamos, Ft. Gordon Signal Center; AEDC, NSTL, and Johnson Space Ctr. as well as domestic/international airport management including Teterboro, NJ, Westchester, NY, Atlantic City NJ and Seeb and Salah in the Sultinate of Oman;
- Managed all legal matters, contract negotiations, claims/litigation and risk management for this company with 10,000 employees, $500MM sales and operations in 10 countries;
- Purchased by Johnson Controls in 1988 for $186MM.
Sep 1975 - Oct 1980
Rogers & Wells law firm (now Clifford Chance)
Corporate, insurance/regulatory and litigation matters
Sep 1972 - Jun 1975
Law Review, Associate Editor, Vol. 43, 1974 – 75
1975 National Moot Court Team; winning team, Sutherland Moot Ct. Competition 1974
Publications: 42 Fordham L. Rev. 850 (1973 – 74), Securities Exchange Act, Insider Trading