Experienced professional seeks full-time employment that will utilize my written and interpersonal communication strengths. Skills include writing, editing, interviewing, Word, PowerPoint InDesign and PageMaker.
- Society of Professional Journalists, Washington Blade news feature, 2007
- Catholic Press Association, Clarion Herald feature article, 2005
- Catholic Press Association, Clarion Herald feature article, 1997
- Chi Sigma Iota Honor Society
- Golden Key International Honor Society
- American Counseling Association Student Member
- Louisiana Counseling Association Student Member
Nov 2007 - Jul 2009
- Researched and reported on issues of importance to county governments across the United States for the National Association of Counties.
- Developed feature articles aimed at making county government issues and programs easily understood by the general public and county officials.
May 2006 - Oct 2007
- Wrote three articles a week, juggling as many as 15 interviews via phone and email in order to produce articles by deadline.
- Eclectic professional writing background resulted in unprecedented access to interviews with ultra conservative religious and political leaders, as well as LGBT policy makers and national figures.
- Specialized in writing articles about Virginia politics, theology, psychology, and transgender issues. Received a Society of Professional Journalists award for a feature on transgender individuals and religion.
Nov 1994 - Sep 2005
- Covered 24 Catholic high schools, writing and photographing hundreds of news and feature articles on youth, including two that won Catholic Press Association awards.
- Led the production of Youth Ink, an annual pullout section written by and for adolescents in the archdiocese that won several Catholic Press Association awards.
Jan 1992 - Oct 1994
- Wrote general assignment articles and obituaries for weekly four-county Catholic newspaper
- Promoted to news editor position after one year as staff writer.
- Generated story ideas and assigned them to writers and photographers.