Graduated with honours
MSc Clinical Trials
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Undergraduate Medical Degree
National University of Ireland, Galway
Clinical Trials Coordinator
University of Alberta
Responsible for the day-to-day management of clinical trials in the division of cardiology. Responsibilities include: screening patients, enrolling patients, consenting patients, data collection, data entry, ethics application and liaison with sponsors.
Responsible for creating new content and editing existing information for this USMLE Step 2 product that is highly valued by medical students.
Responsible for the creation of medical content for PocketBody (an iPad anatomy product) application.
Responsible for assisting in the prescription dispensing process in addition to providing customer service and basic patient information.
Community Disability Aide
Catholic Social Services
Responsible for providing social, physical and educational assistance to young clients and their families.
2017 University of Calgary Internal Medicine Resident Wellness Award
2017 University of Calgary PGME Resident Research Travel Grant
2016 University of Calgary PGME Resident Research Travel Grant
2015 Vasco da Gama Movement Student Scholarship
2014 dotMED MPS Student Scholarship
2014 Canadian Medical Association “Leadership begins with self awareness”
2014 INMED 7th Annual Scientific Meeting ‘Best Student Poster’
2014 Basic Life Support
2013 Canadian Cardiovascular Society Academy Have a Heart Bursary Award
2013 NUI Galway University Scholar
2013 AIHS Summer Studentship Award
2013 ALIVE Volunteering Presidential Award
2012 CIHR Health Professional Student Research Award
2012 WestREN MSD Research Bursary
2012 NUI Galway University Scholar
2009 Rutherford Scholarship
2009 Private Pilots Licence
2007 Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award
2007 Glider Pilots Licence
CCS Trainee Committee
Outreach Team Leader
Responsible for developing and implementing a social media strategy that actively engages our members and facilitates the dissemination of information.
Internal Medicine Wellness Committee
Part of small team that aims to benchmark current resident wellness and responsible for creating initiatives targeting increased resident wellness that have taken the form stress management and meditation seminars, exercise promotion (boxing, spin, hiking) and online engagement with residents.
Internal Medicine Resident Journal Club
Responsible for the overall organization and logistics of the internal medicine journal club at the University of Calgary. Have instituted new program where each presentation is accompanied with an online version that highlights key aspects of the paper. In addition, we have broadened engagement by incorporating social media into our journal club.
Internal Medicine Social Coordinator
Responsible for organizing monthly events for all internal medicine residents. This year we have enjoyed board game nights, murder mystery events, halloween scavenger hunts and many more.
An active peer reviewer for several journals including: Canadian Medical Association Journal, Medical Education, Journal of General Internal Medicine, British Journal of General Internal Medicine, Medical Student Research Journal and the International Journal of Medical Students. In addition have worked with Wiley-Blackwell, providing feedback on drafts of medical related textbooks and providing a student perspective. Publons profile available at https://publons.com/author/449648/pishoy-gouda#
Working on several projects aiming to increase trainee involvement in Cochrane UK and promoting the use and awareness of evidenced based medicine. Recent project aims at looking at quality of evidence available for medications listed as a WHO Essential Medicine.
International Journal of Medical Students
Involved in the editorial process of this online, open access journal. This includes over seeing peer review process, providing authors feedback, proof reading manuscripts and other editorial responsibilities.
Oxford University Press Bioscience Student Panel
Responsible for providing feedback and reviews on textbook concepts, manuscripts in progress and published works. In addition, to providing general student perspectives on bioscience textbooks, with the aim of creating the best resources for biomedical students.
Association of Medical Students in Ireland
Founding member of this newly established national organisation that aims to represent Irish medical students on a national and international level, promote student well-being and increase collaboration between Irish medical institutions.
Canadian International Medical Student Association
Responsible for assisting in the overall organisation that aims to disseminate information to Canadian medical students studying abroad regarding educational and career opportunities.
National University of Ireland, Galway
Responsible for liaising between academic staff and the 2015 graduating class medical class at NUI Galway in addition to organising an array of social events.
NUI Galway Curriculum Committee
Responsible for collecting student feedback and representing student interest in relation to curriculum development.
NUI Galway Medical Society
Responsible for the overall organisation and day to day running of the society. Our events included a range of social, academic and charitable activities, which can be seen at http://www.nuigmedicalsociety.com
NUI Galway School Board
Responsible for representing student interests and advocating for the needs of medical students at organisational level.
Union of Students in Ireland
Responsible for advising the VP of Academic Affairs on all topics related to medical education
NUI Galway Medical Society
Responsible for organising the academic events throughout the year and liaising with academic staff to improve academic supports for students.
NUI Galway Volleyball
Responsible for the overall training and administration of this recreational volleyball team.
- Gouda P., Steinhuble S. How Digital Health Will Deliver Precision Medicine. Digital Health: Scaling Healthcare to the World. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-61446-5_14.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Gouda P. Evidence-Based Tweeting in Cardiology: Unanswered questions and future directions. JACC: Heart Failure. [Accepted].
- Gouda P., Veenhuyzen G., Har B (2017). Fifty-year old woman with lightheadedness. Heart.
- Gouda P., Weilovitch L., Kanani R., Har B. (2017). Case Report and Review of Nonischemic Spontaneous Papillary Muscle Rupture Between 2000 and 2015. Echocardiography.
- Gouda P., Gouda J., Butler C., Welsh R. (2017). Late Presentation of an Anomalous Left Coronary Artery from the Pulmonary Artery treated with Conservative Surgical Management with Long-term Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging Follow-up. Sage Open Medical Case Reports.
- Gouda P., Das D., Clark A., Ezekowitz J. (2016). The Impact and Implications of Twitter for Cardiovascular Medicine. Journal of Cardiac Failure.
- Cronin T., Gouda P., McDonald C., Hallahan B. A comparison of mental health legislation in five developed countries: A narrative review. Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine. [Accepted].
- Gouda P., Brown P., Rowe B., McAlister F., Ezekowitz J. (2016) Insights into the Importance of the Electrocardiogram in Patients with Acute Heart Failure. European Journal of Heart Failure.
- Gouda P., Chua J., Langan D., Hannon T., Scott A., O'Regan A. (2016). A Decade of Domiciliary Non-Invasive Ventilation in the West of Ireland. Irish Journal of Medical Science.
- Gouda P., Fanous S., Sloane P., Murphy A. (2016). Medical Student and General Practitioner Perceptions of Challenges in General Practice in Ireland. Irish Medical Journal.
- Gouda P., Cormican M. (2016) Virtual Sorting Hat Technology for Matching of Candidates to Residency Training Programs. Medical Education.
- Gouda P., Kitt K., Evans D., Goggin D., McGrath D., Last J., Hennessy M., Arnett R., O’Flynn S., Dunne F., O’Donovan D. (2016). Push and Stay Factors affecting Irish Medical Student Migration Intentions. Irish Journal of Medical Science.
- Gouda P., Kitt K., Evans D., Goggin D., McGrath D., Last J., Hennessy M., Arnett R., O’Flynn S., Dunne F., O’Donovan D. (2016) Medical Student Understanding of Irish Intern Year. Irish Medical Journal
- Gouda P. (2016)The Need for Logbooks to Evolve in the Undergraduate medical setting. Perspectives in Medical Education.
- STARSurg Collaborative (Site Lead - Gouda P.). (2016). Multicentre prospective cohort study of body mass index and postoperative complications following gastrointestinal surgery. The British Journal of Surgery.
- Gouda P., Bainey K., Welsh R. (2016). The demise of Morphine Oxygen Nitroglycerin Aspirin (MONA). Canadian Journal of Cardiology.
- Gouda P., Fanous S., Gouda J., Boland J., Geoghegan R. (2015). Paediatric Learning in a Clinical Attachment: Undergraduate Medical Students’ Perspectives. Irish Journal of Medical Science.
- Gouda P. (2015). Response to Medical Students View on Selection Tools for Medical School. Irish Medical Journal. 108(4), 98.
- Niethammer K., Gouda P., Moylett E. (2015). A Pilot Study of the Effect of a Change in the Scheduling of Canadian Medical Licensing Examinations on Two Cohorts of Students Studying in Ireland. International Journal of Medical Students. 3(1), 40-44.
- Gouda P., Kitt K., Evans D., Goggin D., McGrath D., Last J., Hennessy M., Arnett R., O’Flynn S., Dunne F., O’Donovan D. (2015). Ireland’s Medical Brain Drain: Migration Intentions of Irish Medical Students. Human Resources for Health. 13(1), 3.
- Esmail T., Gouda P. (2015). Impact of Changes in Canadian Postgraduate Training on the Irish Health Service. Irish Medical Journal. 108(1), 28.
- Gouda P. Perspective on Studying Abroad. (2014). Canadian Medical Association Journal, 186:1017-1018.
- Gouda P., Bakhet M. (2014). Enhancing the Student Surgical Learning Experience. International Journal of Medical Students, 2(2):77-8.
- Gouda P., Campion J. (2014). Technology Trends in Medical Education. International Journal of Medical Students, 2(1):26.
- Gouda P. (2014). When doctors go on strike, where do the medical students go? Irish Medical Journal, 107(2) 59.
- Gouda P., Fanous S., Gouda J. (2014). Challenges Faced by International Medical Student Due to Changes in Entrance Exam Eligibility. International Journal of Medical Students. 3(1), 70-71.
- Gouda P., Ezekowitz J. A. (2013). Do Anticoagulants or Antiplatelet Drugs Have a Role in Treating Heart Failure in the Absence of Atrial Fibrillation? Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 94(4), 435–438. doi:10.1038/clpt.2013.133
- Gouda P., Mahambo C., Coyle E., Ui Ghloinn S., Walkin S., Quinn R., Glynn L (2013). Treat or Refer? Factors affecting GP decisions. Forum. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253650893_Treat_or_Refer_Factors_affecting_GP_decisions
- Gouda P. (2013) Ma’am, Can you lift your breast please? StudentBMJ.
- Gouda P., Aggarwal S., Martin B., Hauer T., Arena R., Galbraith D., Knudtson M., Wilton S., Har B. Incorporating Competitive Endurance Event Training in Cardiac Rehabilitation - Is it safe? Canadian Cardiology Congress 2017. [Moderated Presentation]
- Gouda P., Bishay P., Clark A., Ezekowitz J. Science and Twitter: The Canadian Cardiology Congress in 140 Characters. Canadian Cardiology Congress 2017. [Poster Presentation]
- Gouda P., Das D., Clark A., Ezekowitz J. The Impact of Social Media on Cardiovascular Medicine: Insights into Twitter's Sphere of Influence. Canadian Cardiology Congress 2016. [Poster Presentation] October 2016
- Gouda P., Paterson C., Meyer S., Shanks M., Butler C., Taylor D., Tyrell B., Welsh R. Quality of Life and Frailty following Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Canadian Cardiology Congress 2016. [Highlighted Poster] October 2016
- Gouda P., Podder M., Rowe B., McAlister F., Armstrong P., Ezekowitz J. Insights into the Importance of the ECG in Patients with Acute Heart Failure. Canadian Cardiology Congress 2014. [Poster Presentation] October 2014
- Kitt K., Gouda P., Evans D., Goggin D., McGrath D., Last J., Hennessy M., Arnett R., O’Flynn S., Dunne F., O’Donovan D. Leaving the Emerald Isle: factors Influencing Migration Intentions Among Medical Students. International Conference for Healthcare and Medical Students [Oral Presentation] October 2014
- Heavey L., Gouda P., Moylett E. Susceptibility Patterns of Urinary E.Coli to Amoxicillin-Clavulanic Acid in the Paediatric Setting 2005-2013. Irish Paediatric Association Annual Meeting 2014. [Poster Presentation] September 2014
- Gouda P., Kitt K., Evans D., Goggin D., McGrath D., Last J., Hennessy M., Arnett R., O’Flynn S., Dunne F., O’Donovan D. Irish Medical Brain Drain – Survey of the Migration Intentions of Irish Medical Students. StudentTalks [Oral Presentation] March 2014
- Gouda P., Kitt K., Evans D., Goggin D., McGrath D., Last J., Hennessy M., Arnett R., O’Flynn S., Dunne F., O’Donovan D. Off to Greener Pastures – A Survey of Irish Medical Students. Irish Network of Medical Educators 7th Annual Scientific Meeting. [Poster Presentation] February 2014.
- Gouda P., Mahambo C., Coyle E., Ui Ghloinn S., Walkin S., Quinn R., Glynn L. Irish GP Referral Rates and Influencing Factors. 14th Annual Research Conference Sligo Regional Hospital. [Poster Presentation] November 2013.
- Gouda P., Mahambo C., Coyle E., Ui Ghloinn S., Walkin S., Quinn R., Glynn L. Irish GP Referral Rates and Influencing Factors. International Conference for Healthcare and Medical Students. [Poster Presentation] October 2013.
- Gouda P. Ramifications of Increasing Irish Medical School Class Sizes: a students perspective; Irish Network of Medical Educators 6th Annual Scientific Meeting. [Invited Speaker] February 2013.