Client-focused attorney seeking to leverage my analytical skills and business acumen to obtain an entry-level position with a financial services or healthcare organization in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
College Basketball, Running, Writing
In-depth knowledge of legal and court policies, procedures, practices, terminology, and systems gained through litigation experience. Proven skills in the collection and analysis of legal data, preparation of legal documentation, and dissemination of clear and concise reports. Demonstrate diligence in the management of high-risk, deadline-driven projects, ensuring achievement of milestones and deliverables. Work in concert with various agency representatives to advocate for client and project interests. Skills also include:
- Research & Analysis
- Written & Oral Advocacy
- Database Administration
- Project Planning & Coordination
- Judgment & Decision-Making
- MS Office Expertise
- Conversational Spanish (Continued Development through Rosetta Stone Software)
2009 - Present
Assistant Public Defender
Mercer County Public Defender's Office
Recruited to join the 11-person public defense team and charged with representing juvenile defendants throughout all stages of the court system. Apply research, analysis, and problem-solving skills, with knowledge of the criminal law and court procedures, to create quality legal documents and best courses of action on behalf of each client. Manage a large caseload and respond quickly to changing priorities.
- Manage an average of 30 new criminal cases each month, handling cases throughout the project lifecycle from intake through preliminary hearings, adjudications, and dispositions.
- Utilize superior interpersonal skills to improve inter- and intra-agency communications. Serve as the main contact for juvenile affairs, advocating for defendants by facilitating communications with all process stakeholders.
McEwen & Nesbit Law Firm
Performed legal research and drafted pleadings for family and criminal law cases. Conversed directly with clients while scheduling appointments and explaining the legal representation process. Maintained an organized and efficient office including updating clients' files to provide legal counsel with the most current information.
- Supported the administrative infrastructure of this small firm, drafting documents at a moment's notice to ensure attorneys were able to meet deadlines and time-sensitive requirements.
2007 - 2008
Law Clerk - Child Welfare Services
Assisted in designing and delivering training programs to child welfare professionals around the state including an annual conference-Michigan Domestic Violence Issues in Child Welfare Law-that attracted 600+ attendees. Contributed to planning the annual conference and monthly sessions, requiring diligence and detail-oriented organizational skills.
- Led a major project to eliminate costly and cumbersome 3" binders full of training materials, and transition to cost-effective and easily accessible CDs, dramatically improving attendee satisfaction.
- Worked with a team on a 12-month project to coordinate the annual conference, contributing to all phases from presenter selection to managing agendas, guest lists, conference materials, and travel.