- Leadership. PastChair, District of Columbia Coordinating Body of the American Association of Diabetes Educators (DC Coordinating Body of AADE), January 2011 to January 2012. President, Tri-State Association of Diabetes Educators (TRIADE), 2006 to 2007.
- Diabetes Education. Designed resources for Counting Carbohydrates and Fats for adults with limited literacy skills. Facilitated “train the trainer” diabetes education programs. Collaborated with physicians, nurses, and local and state health departments. Coordinate Diabetes in Pregnancy Education Program for OB/GYN Clinic.
- Technology and Informatics. Refurbished donated computers and provided technology training to families. Achieved proficiency in: Centricity and MEDITECH Electronic Health Records. Attained basic proficiency in web page design, implementation and management utilizing Macromedia Dreamweaver and HTML coding; database development and use. Completed “BMI 510: Introduction to Biomedical Informatics”. Serve as Webmaster for DC Coordinating Body of AADE.
- Nutrition Education. Trained teachers, nurses, and food-stamp eligible students, and parents as part of Food Stamp Nutrition Education (FSNE).
- Clinical Nutrition Skills. Enhanced clinical tube feeding skills through advanced rotation in high acuity community hospital where dietitians have order-writing privileges. Provided total nutrition management including nutrition assessment and counseling for an average of 8-14 in-patients daily during a two-week clinical staff relief rotation.
- Clinical skills plus extensive experience in diabetes education and nutrition
- Diversified background in patient care, program development, and research
- Capabilities include public speaking, writing, teaching, planning, and assessment
- Effective leader, facilitator, and problem solver
- American Dietetic Association “Irene B. Jones” Scholarship: 2007
- Pennsylvania Dietetic Association Diversity Scholarship: 2007
- Philadelphia Dietetic Association Scholarship: 2007
- Delaware Valley Chapter Society for Nutrition Education Scholarship: 2003
- "Who's Who Among Students in Colleges and Universities": 1977
Priscilla has 30 plus years in the healthcare field including experience as a registered nurse, certified diabetes educator and registered dietitian in the clinical, home care, and community settings. Some of her experiences include: teaching diabetes education and weight management classes in the community; refurbishing used computers and facilitating technology training for families; serving as a nutrition educator to teachers, parents and students; and providing diabetes self management education, including nutrition counseling, to adults and women with diabetes in pregnancy. Priscilla's interests include the role of nutrition and technology in disease prevention and treatment and management of chronic diseases such as diabetes.
- American Association of Diabetes Educators
- District of Columbia Coordinating Body of the American Association of Diabetes Educators
Technology, Informatics, Diabetes, Diabetes in Pregnancy, Nutrition Education, Nutrition Counseling
Jul 2008 - Present
Certified Diabetes Educator
- Provide diabetes education, including nutrition assessment and counseling, for in-patient and outpatient adults and women with diabetes in pregnancy.
- Initiate Continuous Glucose Monitoring and Insulin Pump Therapy.
- Serve as a resource to the Diabetes Team, Departments of Medicine and Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Nursing staff.
- Work with the Glycemic Control Steering Committee to improve in-patient glycemic control. Identify medication error for U500 insulin and advocate for an action plan to alert physicians if U-500 insulin is incorrectly ordered.
- Collaborate with IT Department and diabetes educators in the MedStar Diabetes Institute to standardize and streamline documentation of diabetes education in Centricity Electronic Health Record.
- Provide presentations on Diabetes and Nutrition to the community and in-services to Medical and Nursing staff.
- Develop resource to assist physicians in ordering blood glucose monitor and insulin supplies.
- Implement process to improve efficiency of data management for blood glucose monitoring results in the OB/GYN Clinic. Train nurses and patient care technicians to download blood glucose data.
- Collaborate on grants and research proposals.
- Coach for the MedStar Diabetes Institute’s "Diabetes for Life" Program and 16 week “Lifestyle Balance Weight Management Program” held in community centers and libraries in The District of Columbia.
- Invited to serve as Mentor and Preceptor for Dietetic Interns.
- Invited Judge for University of Maryland College Park NFSC and Dietetic Internship 2010 Research Poster Competition on May 7, 2010, Beltsville, MD.
- Assist in program planning and implementation of a successful "Diabetes Day" Program with speakers and exhibitors for over 50 participants.
Jan 2011 - Present
Volunteer Leader, Chair
District of Columbia Coordinating Body of the American Association of Diabetes Educators
- Work closely with Education Team and Board to plan, organize and implement a successful half day Continuing Education Program on "Insulin Pumps, Continuous Glucose Monitoring, and the Artificial Pancreas" for over 45 attendees and exhibitors.
- Apply for and receive grant to support Annual Dinner Program.
- Serve as Webmaster.
- Invited presenter at Leadership Audio Conference for Diabetes Educators on "How to Apply for and Get a Grant".
Jul 2011 - Present
Conduct educational and interactive sessions on Nutrition to empower African American women, in mid-life, to improve their health and choose healthier lifestyle behaviors.
2003 - 2007
Community Nutrition Educator, Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant and Co-Investigator
- Nutrition Educator for the School District of Philadelphia’s “Eat Right Now” Program funded through USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service. Created lesson plans and provided nutrition and physical activity education for students, parents, nurses, teachers, and staff in Philadelphia schools.
- Teaching Assistant for College-level Biology Course. Taught weekly Lab; graded homework and projects; served as resource for students.
- Research Assistant and Co-investigator for “The Growth Screening Project”. Designed, attained university and IRB approval, and implemented a Growth Screening Research Project to train school nurses to use state-mandated Body Mass Index (BMI) measurement and enhance reporting accuracy. Identified and obtained software program for nurses to record and analyze data. Worked along with the school nurses to obtain new measurement equipment and computers.
2006 - 2007
Volunteer Leader, President
Tri-State Association of Diabetes Educators, American Association of Diabetes Educators
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors to increase membership by 20%.
- Identified need to increase diversity, visibility and functionality of current website.
- Developed concept for new website and worked with webmaster on full implementation.
1995 - 2005
Program Coordinator and Director
Program Coordinator- “Taking Control: Staying Healthy with Diabetes”
- Assisted with the implementation of an ADA (American Diabetes Association) certified Diabetes Self-Management Training Program aimed primarily at African Americans with diabetes. Worked closely with the Pennsylvania Health Department and Philadelphia Health Department of Public Health.
- Identified patients with diabetes and conducted classes and follow-up.
- Developed educational materials and assisted with design of program evaluation and analysis.
- Conducted presentations on nutrition and diabetes for staff and community. Facilitated training on “Taking Control” (Diabetes Education Program) and served as mentor for trainees.
Director- Diabetes, Hypertension and Nutrition Education
- Coordinated Diabetes, Nutrition and Hypertension education programs in five city district health centers.
- Supervised seven staff members including diabetes educators, health educators, and community health workers in health centers.
- Worked closely with the Diabetes Nurse Specialist for the Philadelphia Department of Health and the Advisory Committee in development and revision of curriculum materials.
- Identified knowledge deficit in Microsoft Office and computer technology among staff and worked with local non-profit organization to develop and implement training program.
1989 - 1995
Home Care Nurse
- Coordinated, managed, and provided in-home nursing care.
- Interfaced with community resources and other disciplines to coordinate patient services and ensure quality of care.
- Attained national certification as a Diabetes Educator (CDE).
1979 - 1987
- Provided nursing care to adult patients on medical-surgical and obstetrics/gynecology units.
- Completed comprehensive internship program.
- Served as preceptor for new staff.
2007 - Present
Master of Science
Jun 2010 - Nov 2010
Completed online course “BMI 510: Introduction to Biomedical Informatics” sponsored by American Diabetes Association (ADA) and American Medical Informatics Association.
Sep 2007 - Jun 2008
- 10.5 month dietetic internship program with strong clinical component with information technology management emphasis.
- Attained “exceeds expectation” in rotations with major case study accepted for presentation at both Maryland and District of Columbia state meetings.
- Designed and presented poster session to promote nutrition consults for pre-existing wounds and help nursing staff locate nutrition documentation in the MEDITECH electronic record.
- Demonstrated web-based literacy with development of a personal, professional electronic portfolio utilizing html and Dreamweaver software.