Certified Diabetes Educator
Washington Hospital Center
- Provide diabetes education, including nutrition assessment and counseling, for in-patient and outpatient adults and women with diabetes in pregnancy.
- Initiate Continuous Glucose Monitoring and Insulin Pump Therapy.
- Serve as a resource to the Diabetes Team, Departments of Medicine and Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Nursing staff.
- Work with the Glycemic Control Steering Committee to improve in-patient glycemic control. Identify medication error for U500 insulin and advocate for an action plan to alert physicians if U-500 insulin is incorrectly ordered.
- Collaborate with IT Department and diabetes educators in the MedStar Diabetes Institute to standardize and streamline documentation of diabetes education in Centricity Electronic Health Record.
- Provide presentations on Diabetes and Nutrition to the community and in-services to Medical and Nursing staff.
- Develop resource to assist physicians in ordering blood glucose monitor and insulin supplies.
- Implement process to improve efficiency of data management for blood glucose monitoring results in the OB/GYN Clinic. Train nurses and patient care technicians to download blood glucose data.
- Collaborate on grants and research proposals.
- Coach for the MedStar Diabetes Institute’s "Diabetes for Life" Program and 16 week “Lifestyle Balance Weight Management Program” held in community centers and libraries in The District of Columbia.
- Invited to serve as Mentor and Preceptor for Dietetic Interns.
- Invited Judge for University of Maryland College Park NFSC and Dietetic Internship 2010 Research Poster Competition on May 7, 2010, Beltsville, MD.
- Assist in program planning and implementation of a successful "Diabetes Day" Program with speakers and exhibitors for over 50 participants.