2068 Viceroy Drive
Chico, CA 95973
Objective: As a well-seasoned member of the child development field, I would like to obtain a career in working with children.
Head Teacher at Parkside Preschool: May 2014 to Present
- I develop and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum for two year olds.
- Communicate and develop relationships with parents.
- Coordinated with other teachers and manage teaching aids.
- Interact and guide children.
- Carry out meals and exercise times.
Nanny for Javier and Kathleen Lopez: June 2012 to May 2014
- Here I am responsible for two children, ages one and four, while their parents go to work. This has been an amazing experience because I have had the opportunity to build a meaningful relationship with this family. It has also given me a place to put theory into practice.
Sales Associate at JC Penney: 2009-2012
- This was a great experience for me because it taught me the value of customer service. I worked in the Junior’s, Children’s, and Fine Jewelry Departments.
Aqua Aerobics Instructor at In Motion Fitness: 2009-2010
- Here I was able to lead my students in aquatic fitness.
Chico Area Recreation and Park District (CARD): 2008-2010
Positions: Swim Instructor/Lifeguard/Water Aerobics Instructor/Youth Sports Coordinator/Site Supervisor
- When I moved to the Chico Area CARD warmly welcomed me to their family based on my three years of experience at the YMCA.
- My duties remained the same and it was a great way to get involved in the community of Chico.
- During the school year, I was asked to come back and coach other sports such as the Shorty All-stars preschool sports program, Jr. High Girls Basketball, and the Little Hoopsters basketball clinic. I was also put in charge of supervising the CARD baseball games.
North Orange County Family YMCA: 2005-2008
Positions: Swim Instructor/Lifeguard/Water Aerobics Instructor/Pre-school Sports Coordinator
- I was entrusted with the task of guiding patrons in aquatic education. I worked with all age groups and ability levels.
- As a lifeguard, I practiced many of the safety principles I taught in my swimming lessons. I reinforced safety while maintaining a positive atmosphere for aquatic recreation.
- I received “Lifeguard of the Month” three times over the course of the three years I worked at the YMCA.
- Based on my job performance and teaching skills I was asked to teach water aerobics.
- I also ran “Itty-Bitty Sports” program for two of the three years I worked at the YMCA.
Volunteer Work and Internships
- Whittier Hills Baptist Children’s Ministry – Assistant in the preschool classroom.
- New Orleans Relief Effort – I spent my 2007 winter break helping restore homes after Hurricane Katrina.
- Overflowing Cup Café – Volunteered as a barista in the café for one service every Sunday.
- Calvary Chapel Chico Children’s Ministry – Head teacher in the 3-and-4-year-olds classroom for two years. Head teacher in K-1 class for two years.
- Enloe Volunteers – I volunteered in the mother-baby ward where my primary responsibility was to keep visiting families comfortable.
- CSU Chico Associated Students Child Development Lab – Participated in two internships where I interacted with and systematically observed children ages 3-5. Assisted with day-to-day schedules and helped with meal time. Created and implemented curriculum and assisted with assessment.
- Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) – I developed and produced a newsletter, assisted in fundraising, office tasks, and recruiting speakers for continuing education. I also gained the training to become an advocate for a foster child.
Child Development Practicum
- Prepared and evaluated curriculum for 2-3 year olds.
- Participated in staff meetings and parent events.
- Completed weekly observation notes and Desired Results assessments.
- Assessed behavior management techniques.
Developmentally Appropriate Curriculum for Children: Theory to Practice
- Prepared, implemented and evaluated curriculum for 25 four-year-olds in art, music, dramatic play, science, and small/large motor-skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of developmentally appropriate practice.
California State University, Chico 2011-2014
BA in Child Development, expected May 2014
Chico State GPA 3.2
Butte College 2008-2011
California State University, Fullerton 2006-2008
Erin Gonzalez (CARD, Recreation Coordinator)
Dick Marskey (Calvery Chapel Chico, Children’s Ministry Coordinator)
Kathleen Lopez (Physical Therapist and mother)
Geneva Jobe (MSW)