$4.1 B+ global manufacturer of paper products and packaging solutions for industrial and consumer businesses.
Led the Asia growth initiatives. Elected corporate officer and appointed Managing Director of Sonoco Asia to lead regional growth of all corporate operating divisions. Served on various country boards including Asian affiliates and corporate joint ventures. Built partnerships based upon strategic networks. Developed and led key supplier and stakeholder relationships including government affairs.
Grew business footprint from one plant in Singapore to operations in every major Asian country (e.g., multiple plants, sales offices and warehousing / distribution facilities throughout China, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Korea, India, Philippines, Japan). Executed P&L operations management, business development, strategic planning, finance and human resources. Led acquisitions, fostered customer relationships, developed long-term plans / annual budgets, and served as key contact to major corporate global accounts.
Company awarded Operational Headquarters (OHQ) status by Economic Development Board of Singapore.
Corporate VP / Managing Director • Sonoco Asia 1994 to 2001
- Built corporate brand and affiliations to drive continuous growth in shareholder value. Navigated group through Asian economic crisis with continued YOY growth ($10MM in sales volume to nearly $80MM). Achieved significant productivity, market share and working capital / cash-to-cash cycle gains.
- Recruited and retained committed Asian leadership team- leading corporation in productivity improvements. Key direct reports: VP Operations, CFO, HR Director, Marketing Director, Consumer Division Product Manager and country-level General Managers.
- Spearheaded key China acquisitions, operational integrations and organizational development initiatives. Select highlights:
- Sponsored regional purchasing and logistics supply chain management team to decrease costs and build new business in packaging services.
- Fostered development of regional R&D center in Singapore.
- Developed partnership with HR to build outstanding team supported by strong strategic plans and performance management systems.
- Led acquisition and joint venture with major state-owned paper mill in China. Formed transition team that more than doubled sales subsequent to elevating operation to global quality and environmental standards. Operation has since been benchmarked in the areas of management development, operational excellence and partnership relationships.
Director, Business Development • Sonoco Asia 1988 to 1994
- Initially recruited to launch start-up operations in Taiwan and Thailand, develop strong foundation for regional corporate growth and fuse further investment with strategic partners.
- Successfully launched 3 greenfield plant startups into fully commissioned and technologically competitive manufacturing facilities.