A Business and Information Technology Leader with extensive business intelligence, analytics, and application accumen. Expertise in defining, leading, and delivering strategic programs with a consistent focus on delivering high quality business services. A proven leader and a timely decision maker who is focused on delivering quantifiable value through cross-business partnerships as well as a mentor and coach focused on building strong teams. An effective innovator who ensures strong operational service delivery, balanced with a holistic view of the total cost of ownership in business solutions (people, process, and technology).
IT/Business Strategy l Project/Program Management l Business Transformation
Business Analytics l Business Intelligence l Data Visualization
Data Architecture l Data Modeling l Data Management
Vendor Management l Contract Negotiation l Budgeting & Forecasting
Talent Development l Coaching and Mentoring l Collaboration
2013 - 2014
Sr. Director, Reporting and Data Management, Analytics Center of Excellence
Responsible for delivering daily customer point-of-sale and shipment reporting, researching business variations and trends, and presenting final conclusions to executives.
- Co-created the Analytics Center of Excellence; defined the organizational structure, executed war-gaming scenarios, coordinated analysis, facilitated cross-team collaboration, acquired and trained staff, crafted business narratives and story-telling, and delivered executive presentations.
- Delivered an enterprise data visualization suite of dashboards for C-suite and business use including daily US sales, weekly Canada sales, weekly European sales, demographics, weather impact, seasonality, and pricing. Visualizations were accessible by product, customer, and geographical dimensions.
- Designed the initial departmental platform and led the team to implement an Analytics Data Mart for use by data scientists and analysts, across multiple data platforms. Upon successful completion of the departmental solution, sold and implemented an expanded and integrated enterprise analytics platform.
2011 - 2013
Sr. Director, Business Intelligence Initiatives
Responsible for strategic leadership and program management across Enterprise Applications, Business Intelligence, and Analytics, including a mobile application strategy (smartphones and tablets), global business unit financial operations, and an analytics platform strategy.
- Successfully led enterprise-wide transformation projects including the company’s transition to Global Strategic Business Units.
- Architected and created a set of pilot platforms in support of a new analytics organization. Facilitated the training of users and the integration of support within business areas and IT.
- Led the effort to create a Business Transformation University (BTU) for 36 high-potential associates within IT. BTU was designed as a monthly, full day session to instruct associates about different aspects of leadership including project management, cost management, innovation, entrepreneurship, and communications. Facilitated 16 monthly sessions, created, managed and scored team projects, and coordinated the presentation of session topics.
2006 - 2011
Senior Director, Business Intelligence & Enterprise Applications
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company
Responsible for leadership across Enterprise Applications, Business Intelligence, and Content Management strategy and operations including 6-quarter planning, 3 year roadmaps, business relationship management, and vendor relationship management. Oversight of business intelligence, analytics, corporate intranet, collaboration, document management, enterprise reporting, consumer call center, R&D systems, external eBusiness web site, retail service ERP system, and supply chain planning.
- Led a team of six managers and one director in all aspects of project management, talent acquisition and development, financial management, and operations for an organization of 25 associates.
- Defined and tracked individual budgets (zero based, $5-$15M) for operations and project delivery in support of business operations and objectives.
- Drove initiatives for improved sales force information delivery (reporting, sales force efficiency) to meet significant company shift to a regional operating model.
- Built and executed a 4 year strategic plan for business intelligence (data warehousing, portal, knowledge management, enterprise reporting) through industry research, practical experience, and business readiness, and presented to the business and technical communities.
- Re-built the Business Intelligence organization including the redesign of the data supply chain and expanded the solutions to new business areas; coaching and mentoring the development of new leaders.
- Re-built production support triage processes, project life-cycle, and defined performance metrics and implemented across knowledge management, enterprise portal, enterprise reporting, and data warehousing disciplines to stabilize solutions and support structure.
2003 - 2006
Sr. Manager, Business Analytics
Provided high visibility to LEAN manufacturing processes across commercial and government engineering projects including business analytics and operational processes. Overhauled a team of 4 business/systems analysts to highly productive team of 27 (mix of employees, contract, and offshore) by centralizing data warehouse solutions and focusing on performance assessments, career planning, mentoring, recruiting, and crisis management. This included the redistribution of 10 resources with similar responsibilities.
- Built production support, on-call, system development life-cycle, and project management processes from scratch and implemented across all data warehousing disciplines to deliver better customer information and more reliable information delivery.
- Accountable for the execution of 30 projects in 24 months to deliver new reporting applications (including company acquisition integrations, lean initiatives, system expansion to European countries, business process re-engineering, business unit specific requests).
1988 - 2003
Manager, Enterprise Data Warehouse (Global)
Defined enterprise-wide data warehouse strategy, sold to senior management, and successfully delivered multiple phases of the global implementation.
- Expanded enterprise data warehousing strategy to include data management (master and reference data) and enterprise reporting including the building of an architecture direction (local and global).
- Accountable for the execution of 7 signature projects in 14 months to deliver new reporting applications in support of the enterprise data warehousing strategy across multiple business functions including finance, inventory, purchasing, sales, and forecasting.
- Led a team of 20 business/systems analysts and architects in Asia, Europe, and the US in the development and support of SAP BW data warehousing and reporting solutions including performance assessments, career planning, mentoring, and crisis management.
Other positions held: Deployment Manager, Global Data Warehouse; Manager, Applications - Consumer Imaging and Motion Picture; positions in Services Division, HR, & Finance