I am passionate about sharing my knowledge of and enthusiasm for history and English; as well as teaching students how and why education and the skill of critical thinking and problem solving are indispensable in their soon to be adult lives. I believe every student is capable to succeed and it is my challenge to act as a catalyst to help them overcome any learning obstacles they may face. It is my goal to help the students become proud and accomplished members of our society. As a teacher, I customize my lessons to encourage students' individual learning styles and expose my students to the tools provided through technology, a necessary element to compete and prosper in 21st century.
Aug 2014 - Jun 2015
7th and 8th Grade English Teacher
San Diego Unified School District - Grant K - 8
- Instructed students in English language arts, including writing, reading comprehension, text analysis, and collaborative conversation
- Developed and planned English lesson plans in line with the national and state Common Core Standards.
- Delivered engaging, coherent lectures and motivating lessons to diverse students utilizing learning technology
- Modified assignments and activities to meet the learning needs of individual students with special needs
- Diversified curriculum for seminar and GATE students to engage and challenge them
- Organized/delivered classroom lectures to students. Arranged extra-curricular activities and set targets for pupils.
- Regularly provided students with feedback based on classwork evaluations and assessments
- Developed good communication lines with parents in order to monitor students' progress
- As a Yearbook Adviser, worked with the Yearbook club to create, produce and distribute the Grant K - 8 Yearbook for the 2014-15 school year
Feb 2008 - Aug 2014
San Diego Unified School District
- In past academic years held long-term visiting teaching positions at Point Loma High School, Serra High School, Standley Middle School, Mann Middle School, etc.
- Held long-term teaching assignments at many secondary grade levels and in subjects such as World History, US History, AP Human Geography, English, language arts support, science, mathematics, special education, and credit recovery.
- Created individual lesson plans during long term-teaching appointments in various subject fields. Incorporated the use of technology into the classroom via managing online learning tools, implementing interactive website assignments, creating power point presentations, creating assignments where students collaborated together using technology.
- Worked very closely with special needs students, who had learning disabilities ranging from mild to severe.
- Modified lesson plans to students' Individual Education Plans (IEPs). Collaborated with general education and special education teachers in adapting instructional scaffolding for students to achieve their learning goals.
- Tailored lesson plans to the needs of English Language Learners (ELL). Provided literacy instruction in subject-specific curricula to help ELL students grasp newly introduced concepts and skills.
- Integrated the new Common Core Standards into the lesson plans.
Oct 2011 - Jun 2014
Visiting Teacher - Rancho Bernardo High School
Poway Unified School District
- Held long-term teaching assignment in the field of World History and U.S. History
- Created engaging lesson plans by integrating technology-based assignments, as well as adapting the assignments to hone students' individualized learning styles.
- Worked closely with other educators to adapt lesson plans to students' academic needs.
2012 - 2013
Academic Tutoring Services
- Individually tutored students who tested below basic in Language Arts, Basic Math, and Algebra.
- Developed and implemented individualized lesson plans for students to improve their understanding of curriculum concepts and improve their standardized test scores (CST) from below basic to proficient or advanced.
2010 - 2013
English Language Instructor
Southern States University
- Taught international students English conversation, basic composition, and grammar.
- Developed and implemented lesson plans integrating casual conversation topics as well as topics covered in the business sector.
1998 - 2005
Marketing and Communications Coordinator
UCSD's Graduate School of International Relations and Pacific Studies
- Developed marketing plans and marketing materials to promote the mission of the Graduate School and latest research generated by the faculty.
- Designed and managed the School's website.
- Wrote and edited news article, school newspapers, press releases, and other marketing publications.
1997 - 1998
English Language Instructor
- Taught conversational English to mid-level business managers in international companies, based in Warsaw, Poland, such as Bristol-Meyers Squibb, Dannon, and Abbott Pharmaceuticals.