Senior Technical Consultant
Datasmith is a Microsoft Gold Partner and software consulting company that has been in business for over 15 years. Originally specializing in ERP and CRM implementations using products such as Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) and CRM. Datasmith also specialize in system integrations. Furthermore Datasmith have also developed their own WMS (Warehouse Management System) from the ground up.
While I was working at Motorola, the company's global strategy changed in terms of services and support, with the company deciding to fully implement the channel go-to-market model i.e. eliminating direct service (software development/support etc.), but rather resell their products via distributors and VARs (Value Added Re-sellers), with the VARs handling the project implementations and support. With this move, I was assigned to a pre-sales/project management role and was tasked to provide speech development training to 3 channel partners (VARs). As part of the training process, I was offered employment offers from 2 of those partners, one of them being Datasmith.
I was specifically hired by Datasmith with the intent to start a mobile and speech solutions (hardware & software) division i.e. Datasmith had never delved in mobile and speech solutions before.
My roles at Datasmith:
- Software Development:
- Mobile : Windows CE/Mobile, Android, biometrics, RFID
- Web Application Development
- Desktop: WinForms
- Web Services: SOAP/REST
- Mobile Speech Recognition: dialog development & integration into ERP/WMS
- Databases: SQL Server
- Solution Architecture:
- Business Requirements Analysis
- Technical Research
- Writing Proposals
- Writing Functional/Technical Specifications
- Compiling BOM (Bill Of Materials) i.e. on software licenses, mobile hardware, SLAs etc.
- Field Service
- POC development
- Lead generation
- Procurement of mobile devices & software licenses from distributors and OEM
Work I've been involved in:
- Sales/Pre-sales: During my time at Datasmith, I have brought the company owner and several employees up to speed with the speech technology landscape, as well as generated leads and led 3 major speech tenders, two of which we successfully won. Also managed to successfully win a tender to develop and implement a mobile payment solution for Sanlam in South Africa. Have also worked on a few other smaller deals for mobile hardware and software.
- Speech Development: converted the previous Vocollect voice solution at Digistics to the new Motorola hardware and software (device management and speech recognition engine). Have also been providing support thus far. This is the first site in South Africa to implement the Motorola TekSpeech Pro speech engine. See case study video here:
http://youtu.be/A0IKH9NwhNY . See solution offering presentation here: http://www.slideshare.net/paulkolozsvari/datasmith-warehousing-solutions
- Burger King & Vector Logistics integration: performed the analysis, development, testing and project management (from Datasmith side) for an integration solution to integrate the two companies electronically (between Micros on Burger King and SAP on Vector Logistics.) i.e. handling orders, invoices and product catalog between the two companies with email alerts etc. Solution was developed using WCF SOAP web services, FTP file transfers and MS SQL server on the middleware server.
- Excel Insight: Datasmith have an Excel plugin product called Excel Insight, which allows customers to query data in the Microsoft GP (Great Plains) database from within their spreadsheet in order to calculate their general ledgers. This is performed via Excel UDFs (User Designed Functions). I've been given the product to support and develop and whatever additional features are required by new customers. Among other improvements, I've improved the performance of searches from 10 minutes to calculate a spreadsheet with 100 000 records, down to 1 minute and half with wild card searching and 10 seconds without wildcard searches.
- Toad NUTS: developed an Android and web application for an organization called Toad NUTS that focus on the conservation of the endangered Western Leopard Toad. The Android application enables the capturing of pictures and information (including GPS co-ordinates) of Western Leopard Toad sightings while the web application displays the captured data, creates statistics reports and plots sightings on a Google Map, . Additional features include the ability to setup areas by drawing polygons on Google Maps thereby enabling the system to automatically calculate and allocated toad sightings to specific areas. Areas are assigned to coordinators that receive automatic email notifications when toad sightings occur within their area. Currently in the process of developing an iOS app too. See website here: http://www.toadnuts.com
- Sanlam TouchBuy: developing a mobile application allowing Sanlam employees to pay within the Sanlam shops (e.g. cafeteria), by using their RFID proximity cards. Integration will be required into the Sanlam HR system. Research on the mobile devices required and analysis has been completed. Currently in the development stage.