Dec 2010 - Present
Oct 2009 - Nov 2010
Leading the Capability team tasked with supporting of our sector partners to become sustainable and capable of delivering on SPARC's strategic outcomes. We achieve this through developing our partner's organisational and business capability through direct investment, providing consulting expertise and developing best practice assessments, tools and resources.
- Leading the development and implementation of a 3-year plan to improve the capability and sustainability of SPARC's strategic partners
- Maximising the return on time and financial investment spent on capability development
- Coaching and development of the capability team
- Leading a cross-SPARC project to improve internal effectiveness
- Providing consulting advice and support to target partners; to develop their brand positioning, customer engagement, new product development and sustainable revenue growth.
Oct 2008 - Nov 2010
Central Regional Board member
Member of the newly created Board, representing the Central Region, responsible for developing and overseeing the regional strategy of GymSports New Zealand.
Sep 2007 - Nov 2009
Consulting Services Principal
Leading client engagements, and managing the day-to-day operations of the consulting team, at a successful mid-sized business consultancy.
- Customer experience - undertook a current state assessment of a major utilities customer experience and support processes. The findings led to the establishment of a 3-year business transformation programme.
- Customer insights - led a review of a retail bank’s current levels and usage of customer insight. This work led to improved capture, sharing and usage of customer insight; and laid the foundation for a wider customer experience programme.
- Strategic marketing - developed a marketing roadmap, plan and project prioritisation framework for a logistics company.
- Brand promise - developed the brand strategy for web based start-up organisations.
- Programme delivery - developed a future state process for designing and delivering the services of a sports organisation. The new process ensures alignment with their overall strategy and measurable outcomes across all partners.
- Management - developed clear role descriptions, expectations, development paths and associated REM structures, to enhance the career progression of staff
- Thought leadership - presented marketing seminars on customer retention and growth. I have appeared on TV3 Sunrise Business to discuss retention during the recession, and have had articles published in national newspapers and magazines.
Client industries: energy, sport, banking and web-based start-ups.
Mar 2004 - Aug 2007
Leading client engagements within the Advisory practice of a global consulting firm.
- Improved customer experience - managed a team of 20 people through a 3-month engagement to review call centre performance across 3 states. Delivered recommendations leading to 10-30% uplifts in sales and customer satisfaction.
- Customer churn reduction – led a joint PwC-client team investigating the root cause of customers defecting within 3 months of acquisition. Delivered initiatives to reduce churn amongst recently acquired customers by 30-40% over 18 months.
- Digital marketing strategy – led several work streams of a project to develop and implement the online and mobile advertising capability of a leading telco.
- Financial benchmarking – undertook peer group benchmarking analysis to identify the strategic focus for improving business performance within the banking industry.
- Cost reduction – part of a team that identified process improvement opportunities that led to reducing costs by $2 million and enabling profitable growth into new markets.
- Thought leadership – author of two articles on the trends for revenue and customer engagement on the Internet; focusing on the opportunities for sport and media.
Client industries - telecommunications, media, financial services and sport.
2003 - 2004
Direct Customer Manager
- Customer Segmentation - developed the strategies and campaigns to grow cross-sell ratios, product usage and ultimately customer lifetime value.
- Internet services - successfully managed the development and launch of a new Internet Banking service. This improved the online customer experience and provided the opportunity to utilise highly targeted advertising to improve cross-selling and up-selling.
- CRM strategy - developed and implemented a new CRM strategy, which included establishing a new outbound call centre team. The strategy improved the retention and growth of revenues from customers not served by the branch network.
- Sports marketing – passed the ADMA Internet Marketing certificate writing a paper on the Internet strategy for launching a new football franchise.
2002 - 2002
DM / Retention Manager
Short-term contract roles
Citibank - Affinity Credit Card marketing at one of the world’s largest card issuersBT Financial Group - Management of a suite of Wealth Management CRM ProjectsThorn Australia (Radio Rentals) - Developing and implementing a Loyalty ProgramAustralian Liquor Marketers - Account Manager for a leading liquor wholesaler
- Direct Mail campaign management - from briefing creative agencies through to analysing post-campaign results. Developed strategies to promote co-branded affinity credit cards through new distribution channels, such as brokers and direct sales.
- Project management - project manager for a suite of CRM projects to develop systems and databases to deliver an aggregated customer view. These improved internal analysis and reporting, and enabled personalised communications with customers.
- Customer rewards programme - developed and implemented a retail customer recognition and retention program. Customer segmentation, market research and DM campaign management were used to meet the objective of increasing contract lengths and hence customer profitability.
- 1-to-1 Marketing - prepared a multi-channel, one-to-one marketing and customer retention strategy, supported by the development of a comprehensive customer database.
2000 - 2001
QMS / Surfmiles
Part of the start-up management team at QMS (formerly Surfmiles), an online loyalty and rewards programme.Achievements
- B2B strategy - defined and implemented the B2B strategy for 'Surfmiles Rewards', including account management, customer profiling and personalised customer experiences.
- Solution selling - developed QMS's consultancy offer to provide a total customer relationship, retention and loyalty solution; through permission-based, one-to-one marketing. Developed e-commerce strategies for partners that reduced online customer attrition.
- Thought leadership - presented a seminar for Internet CEO's, on the subject of "Affiliate Marketing and Relationship Building". I supported this with a published trade journal article.
1997 - 2000
Direct Marketing Manager
Enterprise IG (part of WPP Group) is a global corporate brand and identity agency.
- Database development - scoped and managed the development and implementation of a global CRM marketing solution. Successfully delivered to time and budget, complete with user training and sales processes, the database quickly improved the customer acquisition process.
- Database management - managed the global database system for all Enterprise IG offices, and advised other software users at sister companies in the WPP Group.
- DM campaigns - direct mail campaign management, plus on-going B2B communications. Role included pre and post-campaign analysis and managing creative agencies and the mail house.
- Customer research - created research reports to identify brand and identity issues of potential clients. This included specialist roles within pitch and client teams.
1993 - 1997
Affinity Loyalty Marketing Manager
Part of the UK start-up team at the world's second largest credit card lender, now owned by Bank of America. Developed Direct Marketing and affinity campaigns for sport, not-for-profit and community partners.
- Affinity marketing strategy - devised and implemented the strategies to enhance financial performance and value to cardholders. Exceeded targets for activation, rolled balances and ultimately portfolio profitability of sports and not-for-profit segments by 30%.
- Loyalty programmes - devised innovative Loyalty Marketing programs for key affinity partners, such as West Ham Football Club, Wigan Rugby League Club and the World Wide Fund for Nature. Managed Direct Mail campaigns to support the strategy, from briefing the creative agency to campaign tracking and analysis.
- Data-mining - database analysis to collect consumer insights, understand loyalty issues and enhance "needs-based" targeting of cross-selling and up-selling communications.
- Event Management - managed sales teams that exceeded acquisition targets for at the major events of our football, rugby and motor sport partners.
2003 - 2003
Australian Direct Marketing Association
1989 - 1992
I'm a former International track runner and semi-professional footballer. I have found that the disciplines, goal-setting and team working skills I developed in the sporting arena translate well to business.
I am have a passion for sports and travel photography, and coaching team sports athletes to improve their speed and conditioning.
A passionate advocate of business growth through remarkable customer experiences, inspiring sports photography & Fulham FC.
I deeply believe that sustainable business success is driven by partnering with customers. Consequently I am a champion of a customer's rights for magnificent yet relevant products, services and experiences, regardless of the industry. My aspirational goal is to help develop businesses and sporting organisations that every customer feels compelled to rave about to friends and strangers alike. My expertise in customer-driven busines success has been developed in, and with, organisations ranging from billion dollar multi-nationals, through national challenger brands, to online start-ups. These businesses, many recognised for their market leadership, span the Banking, Sports, Telco and Energy industries of the UK, USA, Australia and New Zealand. I also share my perspectives through the blog "business success through remarkable customer experiences" at http://pjdroberts.wordpress.com My leadership style deeply reflects my values. I listen first to understand each point of view; ask questions to discover creative view points and to expand the vision; and then bring energy and passion to accomplishing agreed goals. And its important to me to do this while retaining a sense of fun and a focus on empowering others to stretch and succeed. Outside the office, I have a strong sporting pedigree. Following high-level competitive and coaching experience in athletics and football(soccer), I'm now gaining recognition as a good sports photographer and slow triathlete. My one-eyed loyalties as a sports fan lie with Fulham FC in the Premier League, the Sydney Swans in the AFL and any Welsh Rugby team.
Maximising customer value, sustainable revenue and business growth, aligning organisations around customer-led innovation, customer engagement and retention, sports marketing, CRM, direct marketing, coaching, photography.