Strategic Planning and Deployment
- Promoted to architect the largest paradigm shift in a decade and the development of first-ever strategic technology roadmaps. Subsequently developed and deployed worldwide framework and process for strategic technology planning for $1B+ global business unit. Led tactical activities and cross-functional teams for completion of plans across 2 business lines.
- Completed deployment more than 3 months ahead of expectations and below budget. Characterized by Global Vice-President, R&D, as “one of the most impressive deployments I have ever seen.”
- Successfully identified and prioritized white space opportunities and enabling technologies for next generation monitoring and airways platforms, including development plans and risk assessment of alternative roadmaps.
- Implemented systematic technology forecasting and IP analysis methodologies tools. Resulted in first objective evaluation of competitive landscapes, scientific developments and emerging talent.
- Structured unified procedures to efficiently incorporate insurance companies. Shortened lead-time by up to 75%.
- Personally led incorporation of Scandinavian insurance captive with over $1B solvency capital.
- Led R&D activities and supported intellectual property due diligence on $20M+ international technology acquisition. Company integrated for next generation monitoring platform.
- Introduced and led deployment of systematic innovation and technology forecasting at 3 global industry leaders. Integrated activities with strategic planning and product development processes internationally.
- Facilitated 40+ problem-solving activities across 18 organizations internationally to resolve critical design challenges, generating 400+ solutions and 30 patent disclosures in 6 months. At least 4 of today’s leading products incorporate such solutions.
- Led 7-member multisite, cross-functional initiative to articulate new technology platform. Defined new system architecture based on robust design and improved yield. Secured executive commitment to implement.
- Managed critical risk management project, investigating hazards and impact on past and future product lines. Identified risks, formulated risk mitigation strategies compliant with applicable safety standards and led project team to execute to plan.
- Selected to lead 11-member multidisciplinary team to develop new product accessory that would enable company to accelerate its entry into $1B primary staining market. Completed market, customer and regulatory analyses, design input requirements and design concepts. Established system architecture and interfaces. Product introduced to market in 2008.
Business and Portfolio Development
- Recruited to identify and evaluate novel technologies and products to fill gaps in division’s strategic product roadmap in a historically declining $1.2B respiratory care business. Developed global process to identify, evaluate and realize new business opportunities.
- Identified multiple high-value international opportunities, of which 3 completed due diligence and 1 was successfully acquired.
- Finalized process for M&A due diligence and execution. Designed and implemented related project management tool. Process recognized as best-in-class during corporate audit.
- Selected and led team to identify and pursue the company’s largest-to-date M&A opportunity ($400M+). Guided financial and marketing analysts to model and value deal options. Transaction approved by board of directors.
- Set vision for advanced research in $1B business, including balanced portfolio of enabling technologies, markets, and product offerings. Delivered strategic options supported by actionable recommendations to Senior Leadership ahead of schedule.
- Developed unbiased assessment techniques for industrial risk management, including modeling, perception of risks, and evaluation procedures, thus completing services portfolio.
- Successfully divested private company. Outlined exit strategy, performed due diligence and ensured international legal compliance.
- Led transition from analog to computer-assisted broadcast production systems, including 3-D rendering technologies. Managed equipment purchases and maintained strategic relationships with U.S. hardware and software developers.
- Drove systems integration and new services development. Expanded service offerings and reduced costs by 60%.
New Technology and Product Development
- Designed and implemented global process for advanced research and technology development. Guided research project gridlocked for 4 years to closure within 3 months.
- As acting DFSS Master Black Belt in 20-person R&D group, deployed tolerance design / error budgeting for hardware development globally. Avoided $500,000 in costs within 3 months. Achieved 50%+ improvement in Cpk and 5-month reduction in development cycle time.
- Despite perceived impossibility, raised combined resolution of diagnostic system by 100,000x while simultaneously reducing measurement time by more than 99% and standard cost of system by 92%.
- Improved Ppk of imaging process from below 0 to over 2.3 --- with unique integration of quality metrics into processing. US Patent 7,574,253.
- Recommended deployment plan which integrated failure analysis methods into design controls and improved mean time between failures by more than 3x within 6 months.
- Developed endoscopes for clinical applications, in collaboration with University of Zürich Hospital.
- Product successfully tested in France and US prior to commercialization by leading medical instrumentation company.
- Conceived and built artificial eye model for study of human vision, contact lens and intraocular lens concepts, and evaluation of laser-based surgical techniques.
- Evaluated clinical feasibility of advanced nonlinear techniques for compensating for various eye abnormalities.
- Nearly tripled margins and accelerated the development time of staining protocols within 2 months by establishing a system simulator which reduced COGS of consumables by 2.5x.