Systems Architecture and Engineering
Education and Training Development
Nuclear/Space/Cyber/Missile Defense/Collection Management Systems
2014 - 2015
Director of Engineering and Supply Chain
Holland Integrated Metal Solutions (Liberty, MO)
Led an Engineering and Supply Chain team to ensure engineering solutions met customer designs and specifications, and that purchasing practices leveraged "just in time" approaches for lean production.
• Mapped and documented the company's business processes for the first time
• Professionalized Engineering services through standardization in design, process and materials
• Established supplier list, scorecard and audit process to reduce hardware costs 18%
• Integrated $900K in CNC equipment/software and cut programming time by 50%
• Drove a $300K project back on track for on-time delivery
2014 - 2015
Holland Integrated Metal Solutions (Liberty, MO)
Led operations for a fast-growing, multi-million dollar custom metal manufacturing company providing operator cabins and consoles to the Oil & Gas and Railroad industries. Emphasized lean manufacturing techniques in production operations.
• Managed Business Operations to drive Profit/Loss and double output in 9 months.
• Led the company's Quality Management System to achieve ISO 9001:2008 recertification.
• Initiated a cost-of-quality program to save $192K annually.
• Developed people and teams across six Functional Departments and 64 employees.
• Implemented KPIs for measurement and improvement.
• Led Risk Analysis to define 6 critical areas for quarterly goals and actions.
• Served as business partner with Northland Center for Advanced Professional Studies (CAPS).
2010 - 2014
Senior Program Manager
Led an $8.5M program to develop innovative, operational capabilities to minimize mobile threats to the United States. Applied systems engineering approaches to production operations and incorporated data fusion, visualization services, business intelligence, and analysis.
• Established business partnerships with 30+ offices and agencies globally.
• Doubled the program scope, expanding from two to five business areas, in the first year.
• Grew a 28-person branch to 70 direct/indirect reports.
• Built a 24-hour Operations Center from scratch.
• Crafted the business plan to achieve a $1.2M contract.
• Developed software improvements to expand customer access by 200%.
• Used business intelligence tools to reduce processing timelines by 75%.
• Led business continuity and resilience planning to prepare for crisis or natural disaster.
• Implemented standard operating procedures and succession management program.
• Managed inteviews, hiring, and employee training, as well as performance awards.
Awarded prestigious personal award and two top national team awards from the principal advisor to the U.S. President, highlighting startup success demonstrating new capabilities.
2007 - 2010
Director of Operations
United States Navy (Omaha, NE)
Directed a 100-employee, $3.1M intelligence production center developing comprehensive studies and models on foreign military capabilities, to include weapons of mass destruction, space and cyber threats, for military planners worldwide.
• Created a centralized production planning process, to include schedules, standards and compliance, quality control, product and process improvement, training and customer requirements.
• Led a four-month business case to strategically map the organization’s mission, policies, tasks, structure, personnel, systems, training, products and workflows.
• Increased production volume by 150% and decreased production timelines by 33% in first year.
• Initiated capability needs analysis that resulted in 30% growth in the organization's size.
• Built a crisis Operations Center incorporating IT databases, visualization services, and collaboration tools, and integrated 10 geographically-separated intelligence operations centers.
• Led the Directorate's reorganization by employing an innovative change management technique.
• Rated #1 Operational Expert out of a pool of 23 national candidates.
Won personal award for managing senior executive transitions, hiring replacements while serving as Operations top executive.
2006 - 2007
Fleet Customer Liaison Office
Hand-picked for proof-of-concept position in the Navy’s Program Management Office for intelligence systems integration (PMW-120/Distributed Common Ground System). Led a functional team in the $139M program to translate user stories into requirements for technical development.
• Conducted design reviews and technical exchanges to scope software, tools and standards.
• Guided IT development, user training, and test & evaluation criteria for program certification.
• Implemented management, processing, storage, and sharing of sensor data and products.
• Led 5-member team to Persian Gulf to evaluate intelligence operations and help drive systems development.
2005 - 2006
Navy Service Team Department Head
Built and led an 8-person operations and systems engineering team within the Operational Support Office.
• Integrated space products and services into Navy operations, experimentation, training and exercises.
• Turned an underperforming team around within first three months.
• Established customer relationships with over 300 Navy business units nationally.
• Identified a $1.5 million programming sustainment shortfall and advocated for programmatic resolution.
• Mapped competency skills for business units and institutionalized into 12 training centers.
• Identified military operations needs and delivered quick-turn engineering and technical solutions.
• Managed $120K budget to deliver trainers and equipment to global customers.
• Led 5-member training team to Horn of Africa supporting counter-terrorism operations.
• Ensured 100% of future Navy units deployed to potential combat zones fully trained and able to leverage space capabilities for their mission needs.
2003 - 2005
Requirements, Concepts and Capabilities Architect
Member of pioneering architecture group supporting business analysis through operational concept development.
• Forecasted Navy business/operational needs for planning, budgeting and acquisition of multi-million dollar programs.
• Developed first-ever enterprise architecture views and models of intelligence systems.
• Identified 27 capability requirements for IT and network-centric operations.
• Created exhaustive baseline of over 300 operating platforms, sensors, and tools for modeling and simulation.
• Efforts supported qualitative analysis for the 2006-2010 Future Years Defense Program.
2000 - 2002
Air Wing Intelligence Officer
Molded a 35-member Intelligence Team, providing critical targeting and threat assessments for 3,288 combat sorties during OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM in Afghanistan.
• Directed ten-member Imagery and Targeting Board for collection and analysis of emerging targets.
• Created innovative method for tactical imagery support to two Marine Expeditionary Units; provided 72 digital terrain mosaics to Marine forces conducting combat and maneuver in the field.
• Directed day-to-day analytical effort supporting Close Air Support and Kill Box operations.
• Identified intelligence requirements necessary to support future rapid targeting environments.