Jul 1982 - Apr 1984
Jul 1977 - Apr 1982
B. Tech. (Mechanical Engineering)
Apr 2013 - Present
Oz Consultancy Services Pty Ltd
Involved in implementing strategic changes at leading Australian Wholesale and Retail Chains:
- National Tiles, Melbourne, annual revenues of AUD 80 Million: Implement strategic changes in Supply Chain Policy planning and implementation:
a. Distribution Requirements Planning (DRP by Pronto Xi) implementation across 3 Distribution Centers, 17 Branches and 19 franchisees
b. Effective and efficient management of inventory investment
- Sportsmans Warehouse, Canberra, annual revenues of AUD 22 Million: Implement strategic changes in the way we do business, and in addition launch fully integrated website , which includes:
a. Integrate through API calls the ERP system (Magenta EEE) to Magento EE
b. Website go-live with:
* Gift Card functionality, both physical gift cards and virtual gift cards
* Online Layby, becoming one of the very few global retailers to offer this benefit to customers
* Loyalty Program, offering seamless experience to the customers across all channels
* Inventory and Cost / Price update through cron-job
- Maple Leaf White Cement, Pakistan: Plan and implement to increase White Cement consumption in Pakistan, including, but not restricted to, launch of White Cement based Putty
Dec 2008 - Apr 2013
Executive General Manager
The Good Guys is a leading electrical appliances multi-brand discount warehouse, running 97 stores nationally as joint ventures with local businesspersons, grossing more than AU$ 2 Billion in financial year ending June 2013, dealing with leading international suppliers like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Blanco, Bosch, Asko, Fisher & Paykel, Dyson, Dell, HP, LG and Electrolux.
The Good Guys is in Australia's Top 20 Retailers, and challenge has been to grow in volumes and to maintain the margins. The front-end margins have come under severe strain, while the challenge is to maintain / maximise the back-end margins. Adopted the strategy to improve the customer service, to delight the customer, so that the customer keeps coming back for more, and also spreads the word around.
- Roy Morgan Customer Satisfaction Award, three years in a row
- Canstar Blue Most Satisfied Customers in the Electronics Retailers category for the fourth year running
- Achieved the Return on Capital Employed as per the business plan, increasing Sales per sq. mt. Gross Margin per sq. mt. and GMROI for the chain
- Created 3 new franchisees, 2 stand-alone and 1 in shopping center format
- Defined supply chain architecture, set standards for the S&OP process to meet the requirements of the business strategy, followed through with monitoring the process performance, and measured outcomes against targets
- Improved the quality of customer service, and aggressively implemented Loyalty program
Feb 2008 - Nov 2008
Regional Head - Strategy & Business Development
WESFARMERS is a $ 9.66 billion turnover, 30,000 employees, diversified Australian group with interests in home improvement products and building & office supplies, coal mining, gas production and distribution, industrial and safety product distribution, chemicals and fertilizer manufacture and insurance. It operates large retail chains like Coles, Bunnings, OfficeWorks, Target, and Kmart across Australia.
Responsible for the Regional Strategy and Business Development of the Home Improvement (Bunnings Warehouses, 155 stores and 65 small format stores, leading retailer of home & garden improvement products), handling revenues of AU $ 910 million. Annual revenues of this division in 2007-08 were $ 4.94 billion.
Key Result Areas:
- To develop and improve its store network. Added 5 new Stores (each of more than 5,000 sq meters) in NSW region between April 2008 and Apr 2009, developed them into large format core range selling stores
- Refits of existing outlets and re-merchandising initiatives. Co-ordinated the refits of 9 Stores, with improved merchandising
- Rationalise and improve the range of products and services. Handled 82,000 SKUs, strategically increased the Core Range SKUs to improve revenues and profitability. Pursued aggressively the DIY training programs for consumers
- More efficient use of working capital and lowering the costs of doing business through process and system improvements. Improved effectiveness and efficiency of the Supply Chain, Reduced inventories by 10.3% while sales revenues increased by 6.8% on yoy basis
Jun 1989 - Jan 2008
Senior Vice President (White Cement division)
Senior Vice President (White Cement) Jul 2003 – Feb 2008 Delhi
Vice President - Sales & Marketing Aug 1998 – Jun 2003 Delhi
General Manager - Commercial Jul 1995 – Jul 1998 Factory
Deputy GM – Sales (North) May 1993 – Jun 1995 Delhi
Regional Manager – Sales (South) Aug 1991 – May 1993 Bangalore
Area Manager - Maharashtra Jun 1989 – Jul 1991 Pune
JK WHITE CEMENT is Rs. 302 Crores (2007-08) division of JK Cement Ltd. (annual turnover in 2007-08 of Rs.1600 Crores). JK Cement, employing about 2,400 officers, is the largest Cement Manufacturer of North India, and JK White Cement, employee strength 600 officers, is the second largest manufacturer of White Cement, and also manufactures White Cement based Putty and Waterproofing Compound.
P&L responsibilities of White Cement, achievements include:
- Successfully managed, and grew, JK White Cement against stiff competition from Birla White, achieving a market share of 43%
- Achieved JK White divisional sales growth, from about Rs.40 Crores in 1998-99 to Rs.302 Crores in 2007-08
- Launched White Cement based Putty in early 2002. Created a separate network of distributors / dealers across India, to aggressively ramp up sales. Achieved annual sales of about 100,000 Tons in 2007-08
- Increased Exports of White Cement to 38,000 Tons in 2007-08
- Reduced the Cost of Sales per Ton by 3.4% in 2007-08 over 2006-07
- Serviced a network of 120 thousand retailers through own depots, clearing & forwarding agents and about 1400 authorized distributors
- Serviced 1100 institutional buyers spread throughout the country, including managing key accounts like UK Paints, Berger Paints and Snowcem
- Organized the logistics support from the factory, including signing contracts & Agreements with Container Corporation of India, Shipping Lines, Truckers and Indian Railways
- Implemented ERP in the Division, linking supply chain, factory, sales offices and depots, finance and HR
- ISO 9001:2000 successfully implemented in marketing
- Instrumental in the launch of own web-site jk-white.com
- Inventory Management at the Factory
- Central Excise and Customs handling
- Central Sales Tax, and V.A.T. handling
Feb 1988 - Jun 1989
Branch Manager - North-East India
Pertech Computers Ltd.
As Branch Manager - Guwahati branch, I was involved in B2B sales of Personal Computers by handling the sales in the seven north-eastern states. PCs were then just begining to come in, and launched PCs based on INTEL 8086 / 8088 based XTs / 80286 based ATs. Successfully picked up new accounts like NEEPCO, NEHU, Meghalaya Government, Manipur University, Assam Government, and Tea gardens.
May 1984 - Feb 1988
Eicher Tractors Ltd.
As Senior Officer – Sales, responsible for the sales of Eicher Tractors & Diesel Engines in Haryana from 4th of June 1984 till 31st of July 1986. Haryana team achieved record market shares of 48.3% (46.2% in 1984-85) during 1985-86 under tough competition from established manufacturers like Escorts, HMT, and International (M&M).
Elevated to the level of Area Sales Manager w.e.f. 1st of August 1986 to look after the sales in Eastern U.P. located at Lucknow. The dealer network was strengthened, and marketing efforts were intensified with road shows, and practical demonstrations.
May 2006 - May 2006
Strategic Brand Management
Aug 2004 - Aug 2004
Jun 2002 - Jul 2002
PRINCE2, Project Management
BitPlus Information Technologies Private Ltd.
Proven expertise in creating a new product as a viable business proposition
Proven expertise in accelerating revenue growth
- CEMTECH, Athens (Greece, September 2002): Trade conference on Cement, Technology, and advances taking place in the Industry
- BAUMA, Munich (Germany, April 2004): Largest Building Material Exhibition
- Badminton Team Captain at IIM Ahmedabad 1983-84
- Badminton Team Captain at IIT Kanpur 1981-82
- Reserve, Gujarat State Squash Team 1983