Architect with 16 years of training and experience in the planning, design, and preservation of sustainable buildings that contribute to the vitality of local communities.
Aug 2008 - Present
summaryPrepared, updated, synthesized, and implemented course curriculum for students including syllabi, lesson plans, teaching aids, exercises, exams, and additional instructional materials including Blackboard for planning, design, and construction course lectures & computer laboratories. Areas of instruction include:
- Community & economic analysis
- Facility assessment
- Digital documentation (CAD & BIM)
- Project presentation & rendering
- Integrating sustainable planning, design, and construction techniques
- Organized time, space, and resources to balance advanced instruction, challenging workloads, stringent deadlines, and proactive feedback to students in order to cultivate high level of intellectual curiousity, persistence, and personal motivation with studies.
- Established comfortable, student-focused, two-way communication in active classroom setting that empowered students to enjoy the learning process.
- Identified student's individualism and developed instructional techniques to accomodate different learning styles and maximizing student comprehension.
- 3D AutoCAD Modeling (CAD215) - Reduction of 3D design concepts to coordinate space and procedural syntax required for AutoCAD 3D file development. Manipulation of wireframes; surfacing techniques; development of solids using Boolean operations. Production of standard displays and outputs involving 3D objects.
- Site Planning (ARC160) - Emphasis on the basic art of site planning, using professional design techniques and principles of architecture to develop site plans. Selection of materials, awareness of problems, and emphasis on the production of site plan drawings using board and/or computer aided drafting (CAD) skills.
- Working Drawing Analysis: Blueprint Reading (CNS175) - Detailed analysis and interpretation of construction drawings (blueprint reading); interpretation of symbols, annotations, conventions, terms of trade; and understanding of drawing, dimensioning, plan organization, and specifications.
Jan 2008 - Mar 2012
- Historic preservation
- Developed partnerships and relationships with industry professionals that specialize in sustainable design & clean and emerging technology including (building: architects, designers, engineers, general contractors; energy: APS, SRP; financial: accountants, bankers, estimators; & legal: attorneys) organizations (American Institute of Architects, Arizona Diversity Business Development Center, National Trust for Historic Preservation, United State Green Building Council), and institutions (local: city of Glendale, Phoenix, Scottsdale, & Tempe; state: AZ State Historic Preservation Office, AZ Dept. of Commerce; federal: GSA, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Dept. of Energy).
- Promoted the implementation of clean technologies as a fundamental element in building design and construction by effectively communicating with industry peers and clients during professional capabilities presentations at organizational luncheons, expositions, conventions, seminars, and informational sessions.
- Coordinated research and analysis of existing conditions, analysis of needs, and opportunities to cost-effectively improve building energy efficiency by integrating clean technology including green transportation, efficient lighting, efficient heating & cooling, information technology, non-toxic materials, and solar power.
- 8930 East Raintree Renovation - Scottsdale, AZ
- CMAN Investments Adaptive Reuse, Addition, & Renovation - Tempe, AZ
- City Hall Bldg. B BIM Integration - Casa Grande, AZ
- Natural Relief Clinic Planning - Casa Grande, Mesa, Phoenix, & Springerville, AZ
- Andrews Residence Historic Preservation & Renovation
- Falco Residence Renovation - Fountain Hills, AZ
- Gocio Residence Historic Preservation & Renovation - St. Louis, MO
- Habitat of Humanity LEED Accreditation - Avondale, AZ
- Riecks Residence Addition - Phoenix, AZ
Mar 2006 - Dec 2007
Planned, designed, reviewed, and supervised architectural projects for small firm specializing in historic preservation planning and design. Recognized for work with troubled sites and older, historic buildings by bringing new life to tired properties and sustainability to the urban environment. Areas of expertise include:
- Low-income housing
- Parks and recreational facilities
- "Green" building technologies
- Industrial and Aircraft facilities
- Native American clients
- Applied and expanded knowledge base of historic and existing building technologies including repair and restoration of adobe, brick, concrete, wood, and other materials.
- Integrated modern building codes to historic structures by designing modifications to achieve safety needs while preserving important, character-defining elements essential to the historic integrity of buildings.
- Cutter AviationAddition - Phoenix, AZ
- Indian Bend Wash Visitor CenterRenovation - Scottsdale, AZ
- Scottsdale Corporation Yard Renovation- Scottsdale, AZ
- ACO Polymer Products - Casa Grande, AZ
- 7th Street Properties Adaptive Reuse, Historic Preservation, & Renovation - Phoenix, AZ
- Cutler Plotkin Jewish Heritage Center (Phase I) Historic Preservation & Renovation - Phoenix, AZ
- Blaser Residence Renovation + Addition - Tempe, AZ
- Churchill Bungalows CourtAdaptive Reuse & Addition - Phoenix, AZ
- Wagner Residence Historic Preservation + Addition - Phoenix, AZ
Jul 2004 - Mar 2006
Analyzed, planned, designed, and orchestrated architectural projects for mid-size firm specializing in commercial office and retail buildings. Working as strategic partners with clients by enhancing each project's vision by identifying critical issues, offering new ideas, and helping to set priorities. Areas of expertise include:
- Acquired strong working knowledge of business space planning, operations, energy-efficiency analysis, and post-occupancy maintenance & operations.
- Created practical, energy-efficient design and construction strategies and specifications for a variety of building types, programs, budgets, and schedules.
- Mentored associate professionals in planning, design, and construction administration techniques.
- Arrowpoint Elementary School - St. Louis County, MO
- Collinsville Crossing - Collinsville, IL
- First Community Credit Union - Chesterfield, MO
- Maplewood-Richmond Heights Senior High School Renovation - Maplewood, MO
- Megan Crossing - O'Fallon, MO
- Midland States Bank Renovation - Centralia, IL
- Logan College of Chiropractic Campus Improvements - Chesterfield, MO
- Vaughn Senior Center Renovation - St. Louis, MO
Jan 2003 - Jul 2004
Kenneth L. Burns, Architect
- Carondelet Grill Tenant Improvement - Clayton, MO
- Sauerwein Law Offices Tenant Improvement - Clayton, MO
- Chaminade College Preparatory Residence Hall Renovation- Creve Coeur, MO
- Kniepmann Residence Renovation & Addition - St. Louis, MO
- Reinbold Residence Renovation & Addition - Kirkwood, MO
- Schroeder Residence Renovation & Addition - St. Louis, MO
Aug 1996 - May 2001
Master of Architecture
- Architecture: Andrea Palladio, Architecture Design Studio (10 Semesters), Architecture History, Architecture Photography, Architecture Theory, Construction Technology, Concerns of the Profession, Contemporary Architecture, Islamic Architecture, Modernism in America, Perspective Drawing
- Business: Accounting, Business Law, Financial Accounting, Macroeconomics, Managerial Perspectives, Microeconomics, Real Estate & Development
- Liberal Arts:Advanced Writing, American Philosophy, English Composition, Freehand Drawing, Modern American Literature, Psychology, Spanish (Conversational)
- Dean’s List: 1996 – 2001
- Tau Sigma Delta, National Honorary Architectural Fraternity: 1999-2001