Creative, hard-working and charismatic leader with a heart for God and excellent brainstorming, analytical and musical skills. Possesses 11 years' experience in leading worship and music ministry at churches ranging from multi-stylistic to progressive and ranging from 700 to 2000 in total attendance. Excels not only as a conductor, muti-stylistic composer, and pianist, but also as a vocalist, pastor, and creative instigator.
As a music pastor my objective is to enable people to worship from the heart while training effective worship leaders.
As an educator my objective is to equip people to enrich their own lives and the lives of others through the arts.
- Frequent soloist on music ranging from Mute Math and Coldplay to MercyMe and David Crowder Band
- Vocalist with the Carnegie Hall Choral Workshop Chorus, 2000
- German Leider Recital, Eastman School of Music, 2000
Piano and Keyboards
- Guest pianist and keyboardist for Reconciliation: a Gospel Oratorio, Seattle Pacific University, 2011
- Pianist, keyboardist, and vocalist for Moody Bible Institute Pastor's Conference, 2008
- Pianist and keyboardist for nationally known worship pastor Stephen Michael Newby, 2003 and 2006
- Keyboardist for New Zealand band Parachute Band, 2006
- Undergraduate Piano Recitals, University of Florida, 1994 and 1996
- Piano masterclass soloist with Misha Dichter and Radislav Kvapil, University of Florida, 1993 and 1995
- The Creation, Parts 1 and 2, F. J. Haydn, with full orchestra, choir and soloists, 2004
- Browncroft Community Church orchestra, choir (One Voice), and ensembles, weekly 2001-2009
- Eastman Repertory Singers, Eastman School of Music, 1999-2000
Oct 2011 - Present
Assistant Director of Music
- Oversees musical planning and personnel of the Classic service
- Plays organ for the Classic Service
- Conducts and selects repertoire for the Classic Choir weekly
- Plays keys and piano with the Modern Worship Band monthly
- Assists with the management of online planning
- Provides spiritual leadership and accountability for the Classic Service musicians
Oct 2011 - Present
Vice President, Mason
Fran Overholt, Inc.
- Installs brick, block, stone, concrete, pavers, and other masonry products
Jan 2010 - Sep 2011
- Engaged and led congregation in deeper worship
- Cast vision for the music team in coordination with the church vision and mission
- Provided spiritual leadership and accountability for music team volunteers
- Encouraged volunteers in professionalism, excellence, authenticity and a heart for worship
- Transitioned music team in style and personnel
- Trained and mentored new and existing worship leaders and musicians
- Incorporated by current leading Christian and secular artists
- Arranged and/or composed for services weekly
- Wrote electronic loops for use in services
- Unified team scheduling and planning
- Implemented online planning tool
Jun 2001 - Dec 2009
Director of Worship Ministries
- Led and transitioned worship in the absence of Senior Leadership for 3 years
- Provided spiritual leadership and accountability for worship volunteers
- Implemented new team creative programming structure
- Implemented online planning and organization tool
- Raised quality of music to professional level
- Cast vision and advance planned with senior leadership
- Composed and arranged music for services in diverse styles
- Led or provided leadership for weekly traditional and contemporary worship services
- Facilitated transition to a single style of worship in a difficult church environment
- Recruited, trained and mentored musicians and worship leaders of varying ages
- Directed challenging and diverse music for choir, orchestra and rock bands
- Transitioned choir from performance group to worship leading group
- Implemented design and installation of new sound system and stage modifications
- Managed 5 employees and 1 volunteer staff person
- Prepared and managed $37,000 operating budget
Aug 2000 - Jun 2001
General Music Teacher
Charter School of Science and Technology
- Taught Kindergarten and Grades 2 through 8
- Created music curriculum with peers for Kindergarten through Grade 8
- Taught effectively in the absence of textbooks and instruments
- Led effectively in difficult inner city start up charter school environment
- Wrote and received innovative music grant
Jun 1999 - Jun 2001
Contemporary Music Director
- Taught bands to master current music styles
- Arranged music weekly for the services
- Selected repertoire
- Directed rehearsals
- Played piano and keyboards in worship
Aug 1998 - May 2000
Master of Music
At Eastman I studied choral and orchestral conducting under William Weinert and orchestral conducting under Mendi Rodan. At my degree recital I conducted the Repertory Singers in music by Budd Udell, Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, and Heinrich Schütz. Especially for this concert I edited Schütz's Psalm 100 from the original sources, which are kept at the Sibley Rare Books division at the Eastman School of Music, and performed using a full choir, brass quartet, and positiv for the first choir, and a vocal quartet, string quartet, and lute as the second choir. At a second recital I conducted music by Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly in the orignal languages.
In my second year I performed a vocal recital of lieder by Hugo Wolf and Franz Schubert with Paul Vasile at the piano, editing Ganymed by Hugo Wolf especially for this concert. I also received readings of my Toccata for piano and wind ensemble by the wind ensemble with Donald Hunsberger conducting and Paul Vasile at the piano, and I conducted the Chorale in a reading of my choral work, How Do I Love Thee, for 12 part choir.
During my two years at Eastman I recataloged the entire choral library under the direction of Ensemble Library head William Pottebaum, creating a searchable database of the music as well as re-shelving and organizing materials as necessary.
Aug 1991 - May 1997
Bachelor of Music
In addition to a Bachelor of Music in Music Education with a General/Choral Concentration, I also received a Performer's Certificate in Piano Performance and graduated with Highest Honors. For my honors project I completed a single movement concerto for piano and wind ensemble entitled Toccata. This concerto was read in 2000 by the Eastman School of Music wind ensemble under the direction of Donald Hunsberger, with Paul Vasile at the piano. A choral work of mine, Job 14, was also selected to be performed as part of a local composers concert put on by the Willis Bodine Chorale.
I studied composition with Budd Udell and James Paul Sian, piano with Holly Hughes and Patricia Dinkins-Matthews, and voice with Ronald Burrichter.
My student teaching experience included high school choral music, 9th grade choral and general music, and elementary general music, including experience with Orff instrumentation. I also worked as an instructor and dorm chaperone for two summers as part of the University of Florida Piano Summer Music Camp.
As part of my electives I chose to take two semesters of poetry composition and completed a portfolio of poems.
Contemporary Loop and Music Composition
Classical Music Arranging and Composition
Pianist / Keyboardist
A recent re-working of the classic The Heart of Worship, using the feel and content of Hosanna by Brooke Fraser. Live recording at Lakeshore, with me as lead vocal.
The band chart for Crazy Love which accompanies the backing loop.
The band chart for Who Am I Living For which accompanies the backing loop.
I wrote this song in 2009 as I was reading through Job and Isaiah with Browncroft Community Church, where I was Director of Worship Ministries.
I wrote this arrangement for the Easter 2009 services at Browncroft Community Church. The Easter 2009 video clip elsewhere on this portfolio page includes this arrangement. This document contains pages 1-9 of the score. Orchestration: SATB Choir Flute 1-2 B-flat Clarinet 1-2 Bassoon Horn in F 1-2 Trumpet in B-flat 1-2 Trombone Tuba Piano Violin 1-2 Viola Violoncello Double Bass