2004 - Present
EpicCare Program Manager
Kaiser Permanente is the leading US healthcare services / insurance provider with 8.9 million members and 121,000 employees and 7,800 physicians
Retained by Southern California Kaiser Permanente (based in Pasadena, CA) to serve as Orange County Program Manager in executing transition from a highly customized, deeply embedded legacy Electronic Health Record system to KP HealthConnect / EpicCare - a significant part of themost ambitious and successful implementation of Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE) and the Electronic Health Record in the world.
· Successfully executed comprehensive three year EpicCare Inpatient and Ambulatory Electronic Health Record deployment project with on-time and on-budget delivery. Service area is comprised of 780 physicians and 2,500 staff members, providing integrated, multi-specialty health care services at 16 medical offices and two acute care facility.
· Gained management and staff support in early stages, to move forward with project, overcoming severe staff and physician resistance to transition from a 30 year old familiar, deeply embedded legacy Electronic Health Record to KP HealthConnect / EpicCare.
2001 - 2004
Senior Vice-President, CIO
Health care system comprised of three acute care facilities serving Central Illinois, including Memorial Medical Center (teaching hospital affiliated with Southern Illinois University School of Medicine). Total of 562 licensed beds, 600+ physicians, and 5,000+ employees
Member of Executive Management Team, reporting directly to CEO, and charged with invigorating the Information Technology and Medical Records Departments to elevate patient safety and gain a competitive market advantage through the deployment of the Electronic Health Record.
-Collaborated with the Chief Medical Officer in crafting the Information Technology Vision as a rallying point for the organization seeking to differentiate itself in the market place.
-Organized Physician IT Steering Committee with Chief Medical Officer and the Electronic Health Record Champion Committee with Chief Nursing Officer. Built trust and gained in-depth knowledge of existing processes by accompanying physicians and nurses on rounds.
-Delivered one-on-one presentations of Cerner Millennium Electronic Health Record system to 350+ physicians.
·Directed team of 82 Information Technology and 72 Medical Record staff members in successful implementation of the Cerner Millennium Electronic Health Record (order entry, results review) and First Net Emergency Department Management System (including electronic physician and nursing documentation),
·Reduced delinquent medical records from 37% to 16%; instrumental in assisting organization achieve a 98% JCAHO rating.
·Created wireless-everywhere/un-tethered workforce via tablet PC's, PDA's, and Vocera phones.
1986 - 2001
$400 Million Health Care / Wellness system and largest public hospital district in California, comprised of two hospitals and convalescent centers, health clinic network, home health care and mental health care facilities.
Member of the Executive Management Team, reporting directly to the CEO, and charged with transforming the organization into high tech health care system while maintaining the high touch tradition.
- Organized a physician IT steering committee to lead and promote all clinical information system efforts and built a multi-disciplinary electronic health record committee at both hospitals.
- Introduced personal computing at the desktop for all management staff.
· Deployed online order management and patient care charting in all patient rooms and ancillary care areas; first successful deployment of the Electronic Medication Administration Record (eMAR) in California.
· Acquired and deployed the Cernerlaboratory, radiology and Delta Home Health laptop-based clinical documentation systems.
· Designed, developed, and implemented paperless human resource and on-line time and attendance systems.