I’ve been in the IT organization and worked on various business-critical internal and customer-facing applications. I’ve been involved with the full software life-cycle from engaging with business partners, designing application architectures, coding all tiers from database to business logic to presentation, driving automated test, build, and deploy efforts, and maintenance/support processes.
I initially worked on a product life-cycle and release management application used daily by over 8000 employees for software releases (operating systems, drivers, applications, etc.). During this time, I helped delivered many business enhancements including critical functionality for Vista support, a system to drastically improve the speed of large file transfers (4+ GB operation system images) to regional development centers, and performance enhancements for automated CD/DVD image builds.
For the last 2.5 years, I’ve worked on new applications in the complex solution configuration space. I have been responsible for the UI, but also designed backend infrastructures including a custom .Net CodeDOM-based rules engine, a specialized state-management framework, and dynamic runtime used to model power and cooling requirements for servers in a data center.
I was on a small team who prototyped and developed an advisors framework that allow customers configure a complex solution (servers, storage, switches, etc.) by answering a series of simple questions and answers. The framework, through a WinForms-based studio we also developed, also allows internal solutions teams, who are solutions experts, but non-developers, to author new advisors with no programming knowledge. The framework has proven to be extremely successful and is now the standard for guided product configuration on dell.com.
I played a major role in the delivery of an industry-first web application that allows visitors on dell.com to configure complex solutions (multiple servers, storage devices, etc. configured and validated in the context of a topology such as DAS, SAN, etc.). Previously scoped as a multi-year effort, we went from whiteboard to live site in 6 months. Iterative prototyping, working closely with product owners, and Scrum allowed us to accelerate the schedule dramatically.
I was a development lead on "Data-center Capacity Planner", a modeling tool based on the solution configuration infrastructure we designed, that allows IT professionals plan and tune their compute and infrastructure equipment for maximum efficiency. We developed a sophisticated calculations engine that allows us to give the most accurate power and cooling estimates in the industry.
Beyond normal job responsibilities, I also contributed to a number of initiatives or efforts.
- I drove the “CorpSource” initiative which is the application of the open-source principles and methodology within the corporate environment. The aim of this initiative was to promote reuse, transparency, continual refinement, improved quality by allowing internally-developed applications and libraries to be developed in a public, collaborative manner. I lead the effort to defined the process to onboard existing IT applications into CorpSource, developed portal site, piloted an application and brought common code libraries into CorpSource.
- In my spare time, I developed wizard scripting and evaluation engine, which was eventually included in the production Advisors application and led to 2 patent submissions.
- In my spare time, I designed and prototyped next version of solution-selling user interface. The concept was eventually presented to the Enterprise Leadership Team as part of the IT showcase as the vision of a cohesive solution selling platform. I also incorporated aspects of this platform into production codebase for beta piloting and designed a modular framework which allows the platform to be repurposed for a variety of solutioning capabilities (complex product configuration, data-center capacity planning, virtualization, etc.)
- I developed an automated way to convert posts on a support forum directly to trouble tickets to reduce support burden of development team.
- I helped define code review process and security assessment checklists for our IT organization.