Focus on connecting rigorous management theory and practice with social responsibility, ecological awareness, systems thinking, climate change mitigation planning and leadership within an integrated framework of sustainable management.
Final Capstone Business Plan
My team developed a business plan for a private equity firm and its first fund that invests in clean energy plants in India. The purpose of the fund is to bring energy to people who currently live without.
Experiential Learning Projects
These projects are designed to engage student teams with companies and organizations in order to solve real-time challenges at a professional level and in a professional manner. The projects are examined through the lens of sustainability and seek to address issues involving operations, strategic management, financial planning, and marketing.
Marine Ecosystem Services Program, Forest Trends
Led a team to develop a finance and marketing plan to promote a "payment for ecosystem service" (PES) with the Colombian tourism industry in collaboration with the Marine Ecosystem Services Program (MARES). This deal will secure up to 20% of the marine protected area management plan for San Andrés Island in return for protecting the environmental services relied upon by local businesses.
- Analyzed existing economic research around the affects of coral reef health on adjacent tourism businesses;
- Identified suitable ecosystem services to use in a PES deal;
- Conducted in-depth financial analysis of five investment options to enhance profits for the local hotel industry that included coral reef protection;
- Developed creative strategic marketing recommendations to guide MARES on how to make the business case for protecting the coral reef to the hotel industry.
Led the development of a strategic plan for the Marine Ecosystem Services Program's work within the marine conservation markets landscape.
- Incorporated creative suggestions to enable sustainable program financing and dynamic recommendations for various future scenarios.
- Utilized scenario planning techniques to develop focused yet adaptable strategies in order to maximize the effectiveness of the program and mitigate the uncertainties of nascent conservation markets.
Cadena's Fresh Fish
Led an MBA team to assess current business development goals and provided operations plan for the effective use of resources and the expansion of operations for a start-up sustainable seafood distribution business in Santa Barbara. This plan included recommendations about:
- Streamlining work processes;
- Setting realistic cash flow goals given the potential market;
- Selecting optimal target markets to efficiently realize cash flow goals;
- Enhancing sustainability achievements.
Client deliverables included an analysis of break-even points for two expansion options and a financial model to help manage recommended growth targets.