Founder and President
Founded Fourth Sector as a hybrid organization: a for-profit entity with social mission and values. We are powered by people: an in-house staff of five, two virtual part-timers, and a national freelancer network.
Our team includes strategic communicators, writers, policy experts, brand gurus, marketing mavens, geeks, and designers, we:
- Communicate sustainability and other complex systemic issues
- Facilitate common visions among diverse stakeholders
- Inform policy and educate policy influencers
- Develop online food communities
- Help clients avoid and manage crises
- Develop communications and organizational infrastructure
- Conduct research and analysis on food systems issues
Recent client work under my care includes:
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation - strategy development, communications plan implementation with an emphasis on policy, social media, mainstream media relations, partnership and network development, and internal communications.
- Battle Creek Community Foundation - communications strategy and technical assistance for Neighborhood Venture Investment Program, an innovative social entrepreneurship body of work that energizes Battle Creek community participants to develop businesses that benefit neighborhoods.
- Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems Funders- technical assistance with social media, strategy review and development of communications plan, and collateral design for annual conference.
- Grains for Health Foundation - conceptual ideation for this new foundation and facilitation for its major stakeholder meetings.
- School Food FOCUS - internal communications and communications infrastructure building using Software as a Service platforms to ensure a virtual workplace. Developed external communications plan and helped project gain footing in its implementation, which included hiring a communications staffer.
- Onetray.org - developing a strategic concept and plan for launching an online home for children's nutrition information that could bring together disparate groups around "one tray."
- Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy - multiple engagements including internal communications and strategic planning, and informal advising about the Food and Society Fellows program.
- F3 Foundation/Lunch Box Project - Direct all aspects of communications and organizational implementation for innovative new tool to help change the way we feed our children in schools. Serve as interim staff. Develop strategic partnerships which have included: Whole Foods Market, Heifer International, Slow Food USA, Roots of Change, Environmental Working Group, Barbara's Cereals, and Google.
Our clients include the above as well as: Orfalea Foundations, Chez Panisse Foundation, Saint Paul Public Schools, Hennepin County, Minnesota Department of Health, University of Minnesota, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Transit for Livable Communities, Wallace Center, Winrock International, BikeLove.com, District202, Fair Food Foundation (now Fair Food Network), Blue Cross and Blue Shield Foundation, and seventeen counties in Minnesota (for technical assistance with communications in implementing State Health Insurance Planning).