Innovative communications professionaland award-winning producer with proven success in translating organizational messages and issues into compelling multimedia stories and implementing digital and traditional media strategies to engage consumers and other target audiences, increase a company's visibility, and improve internal communications. My experience includes overseeing the production of video and digital media, Web content development, using all communications channels to reinforce branding and identity, and strategic messaging. Fluent in Spanish, Portuguese, and French.
2003 - Present
Communications Consultant & Producer
Create marketing collateral. Provide media, marketing and communications strategy consulting. Write and develop content for the Web, trade and internal publications. Produce and direct short and long form videos, documentaries and other multimedia content for client websites. Field produce, direct crews, write scripts, conduct interviews, and supervise talent recording and editing sessions for firms specializing in media consulting and video production fornonprofits, government agencies, and large corporations.
• Partnered with BlueCross BlueShield of Florida Marketing Unit leaders to develop and implement proactive, communication strategies to achieve business objectives and created communications to drive employee engagement.
• Produced video content for communications campaigns focusing on obesity among Hispanic children, teen anti-smoking initiatives, emergency preparedness among Hispanic Americans, and the uninsured.
• Strengthened positioning of a Jacksonville ad agency by creating case studies for use in business development.
• Wrote and produced Spanish spots focusing on immigration legislation being introduced by the U.S. House of Representatives.
• Improved care of Baptist Health Hispanic patients by translating health education materials into Spanish
2008 - 2009
Director of Marketing
EXPRESSTAX, an H&R Block company
Developed key marketing strategies to penetrate the general and Hispanic markets and build brand awareness.Wrote and directed the creative development of B2B and client-facing marketing materials. Managed media relations activities. Monitored relevant news, conversations, and trends in social media.
• Created a marketing and communications plan supporting business development goals, enhanced marketing tools for franchisees, and improved efficiency of customer support staff.
• Increased transparency of company and strengthened franchisor/franchisee relationship by writing crisis communications on behalf of CEO.
• Managed the production of English and Spanish TV and radio spots and shot/edited video testimonials for the company website.
Communications and Marketing Specialist, Center for Health Communication
Developed and implemented strategic communication and marketing plans. Researched, wrote, edited and oversaw execution of a broad range of print, audio-visual, Web-based, media outreach and other support materials for various social marketing and health communication initiatives. Provided strategic guidance and tactical support for client-related and Center programs involving media relations and outreach, and other public relations activities.
• Created national communications plan, marketing materials, and video content to launch a CDC workplace obesity prevention website (www.cdc.gov/leanworks).
• Advised senior management on the selection of media outlets for a $1M pandemic flu media buy and provided analysis on the success of the campaign.
• Managed production of radio PSAs for a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services pandemic flu public education campaign.
• Provided creative input on production of flu vaccine TV PSAs and oversaw final post production.
2004 - 2007
Media Relations Manager/Video Producer
Provided strategic vision for content (Web, print, and video). Collaborated with AED’s 28 centers to develop and execute internal/external communications and marketing efforts. Formulated strategic messaging and managed media relations activities and initiatives. Counseled staff and CEO on crisis communications. Managed the writing, editing, and production of the biannual magazine, AED Connections.
• Increased visibility of AED’s programs by placing stories in national and international news outlets.
• Produced first video to appear on aed.org and developed a strategy for use of video on the website.
• Increased traffic on aed.org and strengthened project branding by producing and editing videos for the Web, special events, conferences, and marketing/fundraising efforts.
• Positioned AED as a leader in implementing programs that aid the development and care of children orphaned or affected by HIV/AIDS and helped to secure a multi-million dollar contract with one of the National Institutes of Health by producing and directing the documentary, “Tumaini Letu” (Our Hope). The film tells the story of an AED program that supports children orphaned by AIDS in Kenya. In addition to airing on television in Washington, D.C. and New York, and nationally on The Africa Channel, “Tumaini Letu” screened at the International AIDS Conference in Toronto, winning a CINE Golden Eagle and Special Jury Award, and Best Short Documentary at the New York AIDS Film Festival.
2000 - 2003
Oversaw development and production of programs and special events, including booking guests. Coordinated program elements, including preparing briefing books, speeches, and talking points; writing and designing promotional materials; and conducting community outreach efforts. Interfaced with multiple departments and served as liaison for partner organizations. Hosted a current events game show for students. Interviewed journalists for a half-hour live studio program.
• Instrumental in developing partnerships and programming that continued the Newseum’s public presence and strengthened community outreach efforts during its closure in preparation for construction of a new facility.
• Organized the largest series of programs in the Newseum’s history for Hispanic Heritage Month.
• Produced and hosted the Newseum’s first live Spanish studio program.
1997 - 1999
Reported, shot, and edited stories for the Hilton Head Bureau. Provided live-coverage of breaking news and elections. Conducted studio interviews on a wide range of topics. Hosted a live, call-in public affairs program.
• Improved voter understanding about key election issues by moderating candidate forums.
• Produced special series on the changing face of the community and ecotourism.
• Only reporter to provide live coverage of Hurricane Floyd in Spanish.
1994 - 1997
Produced, wrote, and edited sound bites for a weekly current affairs program with 8 million listeners. Provided on-site event coverage, including the Fifth Ibero-American Presidential Summit in Argentina. Interviewed Latin American presidents and ministers and produced a three-part series on the summit.
• Interviewed newsmakers, political leaders, analysts, human rights activists, and other experts for programs on topics such as the first democratic election in South Africa and economic reform in China.
Universite Stendhal des Langues et Lettres
Miami Beach Senior High
I wrote the cover story and the larger stories on pages 5, 8, 11 and 12.
AED's biannual magazine for which I was associate editor. I wrote the cover story and stories on pages 7, 9, 11 and 12.
This is one of four stories I wrote for a special internal publication requested by AED's CEO.
I wrote this script for a video profiling an AED youth empowerment program. The video was used at national conferences and on the Web to brand AED as a leader in this area.