Senior-Level Marketing, Communications, Product Development and Strategic Planning Executive position with staff leadership and training opportunities.
Senior-Level Marketing, Communications and Strategic Planning Executive * Managed Vitamin, Mineral, Herbal, OTC and Specialty Supplements to $160 million sales. * Managed P&L for Food, Ingredient and Private Label products with sales to $500 million. * Entrepreneurial ($5-$90 M), Joint Venture and Public ($300-$750 M) company experience. * Reversed Sales declines at five companies and generated high-growth Revenue and Profits. * New Product Development and Product Launches providing 12-18% of next year’s sales. * Marketing, Communications, Sales, Strategy and Executive Team Management experience. * Communication experience as Corporate Spokesperson, Trainer, Presenter, Crisis Communications. * National Sales Manager and Key Account Sales.
Aug 2008 - Present
Sr. Consultant / CMO
Consultant for CPG markets: Dietary Supplements, Functional Foods, OTC Drugs and Foods.* Consulting in Marketing, Branding, Communications, Strategy, and Product Development.* Strategic and creative development of brand positioning; sales presentations; trade shows; merchandising systems; advertising; PR.* Development of Government Regulatory Compliance programs (FDA, FTC, cGMPs).
2007 - 2008
Director of Brand Marketing
Twinlab (an IdeaSphere Company)
A $150 million private manufacturer of Dietary Supplements, Sports Nutrition and Functional Foods. Management responsibility for over 500 SKUs providing over 50% of sales and gross margin under Twinlab, Weil, Nature’s Herbs, and Alvita Tea brands and other new brand development.* Manage New Product Development, pricing, advertising, package design, labeling and claims. * Develop new Brand Line Positioning and package designs, implement launch to market.* Senior Marketing Director coordinating all marketing team programs within the department. * Manage Corporate Marketing projects including Pricing policies, Package Rationalization, SKU Rationalization, Corporate Presentations, Sales Training, Websites and Media Planning.
Jun 2001 - Mar 2007
Sr. Consultant / CMO
Consultant for Dietary Supplements, Functional Foods, OTC Drugs, Foods and Industry Associations. Company sizes range from $7 million to $280 million. * Consulting in Marketing, Branding, Communications, Strategy, Product Development.* Development of new products based on competitive gap analysis, market opportunity analysis, consumer trends and health/wellness positioning opportunities.* Consulting on rationalization of SKUs, management of promotional programs, packaging design, rationalization of pricing and profit margin improvement, product formulation.* Strategic and creative development of brand positioning, sales presentations, trade shows and conferences, educational programs, advertising, PR and website content. * Develop and execute Key Account and C-Level Executive sales presentations.
Jun 1999 - May 2001
Brand Marketing Director
A $350 million publicly-owned manufacturer of Dietary Supplements, Teas, OTC Drugs, Sports Nutrition and Functional Food products. Responsible for the management and P&L of Dietary Supplements, OTCs and Teas representing $160 million. Reported to Div. President until bankruptcy.* Restored vitamin line to #1 positioning with improved communication of Brand equity.* Reduced SKUs (2,400 to 1,000) & packages (16 to 6) to improve costs and sales efficiency. * Revised pricing on Vitamins (500+ SKUs) to standardize prices and improve margins 15%. * Developed Plan-O-Grams, sales presentations, pricing, and promotions for FDM Channels.* Revised key material supply chain sourcing for cost savings of up to 40% on key SKUs.
Jun 1997 - May 1999
Sr. Consultant / CMO
Working on contract assignments while under non-compete terms of prior employment contract with positions as VP of Marketing & Sales (1 yr) and as VP of Marketing (1 yr). Reported to Presidents.
* Developed identity, logo, graphics, product lines, merchandising and selling aids for three new divisions, including Specialty, Drug and Healthcare Professional sales channels.
* Developed expanded product lines to reduce company dependency on core products.
* Revised label design and label claims to meet FDA regulatory requirements for brands selling to the * Health Food, Mass Market, Professional and Specialty Channels.
* Developed plan for India-based manufacturer to move manufacturing into U.S. in compliance with * * GMP regulations, plant and equipment, laboratory, and QA/QC needs.
* Increased sales from $12 million to $18 million in one year; doubled on annualized basis.
Jul 1985 - May 1997
Director of Marketing & Communications
Nature's Way Products, inc.
A private manufacturer of Vitamin/Mineral/Herbal/Specialty Dietary Supplements, OTC Drugs and Topicals, Sports Nutrition, Weight Loss shakes, and Homeopathic Remedies. Recruited to be responsible for the management and P&L of all products, growth of product line, package design and merchandising programs, development of strategic planning and sales channel development. Reported to the President, worked with Board of Directors and German ownership. * Strategic Planning, Product Development and Operations Planning Teams Leader.* Managed all Marketing Service departments to meet needs of five SBUs and Corporate. * Directed staff of 20 in Market Research, Media Planning, Package Design, PR, Creative Services, Copywriting, Product Development, plus outside Ad, Creative and PR Agencies. * Led industry in providing the first structure/function claims on vitamin and herbal labels. * Developed and launched 40+ new products annually, providing 12-18% of next-year sales.
Nov 1974 - Jun 1985
Director of Marketing & Sales
Universal Foods Corporation
A $350 million publicly-owned manufacturer of Cheese, Yeast and Imported products for retail, foodservice and ingredient sales channels. Recruited to manage P&L for products in Retail Grocery, Foodservice and Specialty/Gourmet channels, revitalize advertising and reverse sales declines.
* Managed P&L for Consumer and Foodservice divisions providing 40% of corporate profits.
* Provided staff marketing support for Bakery and Industrial groups providing 35% of profit.
* Directed R&D/Operations team in product development, doubled new product launches.
* Managed staffs in Marketing, Sales, Product Development and Customer Service.
* Planned, hired and managed a new Consumer Products Division Retail Sales Force of 8 Regional Managers and 65+ Brokers in the Grocery channel.
* Chaired Strategic Planning and Product Development Teams in three divisions.
* Co-chaired corporate task forces on R&D reorganization, corporate acquisition strategy, plant acquisition/relocation evaluation and on new package material development.