Project: Remote Infrastructure Management
Remote infrastructure management (RIM) refers to remotely managing information technology (IT) infrastructure such as workstations (desktops, laptops, notebooks, etc.), servers, network devices, storage devices, IT security devices, etc. of a company.
1) Work with different clients on different tools to measure the dayend, weekly, monthly performance and so on. Major concentration was on reporting for servers- particularly physical and virtual boxes (Windows, Unix/Solaris, VMware environment).
2) Reporting includes pulling out the data from different capacity analysis tools and prepare reports accordingly. Interacting with different clients to prepare dashboard, new report templates as per their requirements.
3) Monitor 25,000 servers and preparing reports on monthly basis considering three basic things:
a) CPU Utitilization (Used, %Free, %Busy)
b) Memory Utilization (Used, %Free, %Busy)
c) Disk (%Used, %Free, Transfer rate and file System)
4) Use TeamQuest Reporter, TQ Analyzer, TQ Surveyor, TQ view Concord & Ganglia as our Capacity analysis tools.
5) Use STAR & Hubble, vSphere client & Configuration Management Database for checking status of the servers, host, guest and checking actual status of the Virtual machines and prepare performance reports accordingly.
6) Use Case management tool for initiating different incidents, change requests for different issues. Working on preparing dashboards & adhoc reporting includes client specific data/requirement.
7) Take part in the client/team meetings, which includes Suggestions and Report presentations.
Tools and Application
1) VMware 5.0
2) Team Quest 2
5) Case Management System
8) Configuration Management Database (CMDB)