Sep 2012 - Present
Dec 2009 - Sep 2012
Web Operations Manager
Work proactively to solve challenges associated with growing, high-volume, consumer facing Web applications. Support and build out the next generation of our infrastructure while managing and improving our current assets.
The operations team has grown three-fold since I joined CustomInk and the size of the engineering team as more than doubled. I help set the tone of the organization pushing for collaboration, constant learning, and continuous improvement.
We've increased our deployment frequency from once every two weeks to five to ten times a day.
Our infrastructure is managed with Chef. Giving us the ability to quickly spin-up new environments or expand capacity.
As we continue to mature our infrastructure and automation, we are driving towards a self-service environment for developers. From provisioning of environments to continuous integration configuration to self-service deploys, there are lots of things we're doing to improve the agility of our engineering team.
Although the t-shirt business seems relatively straightforward, we have over thirty applications running in production. My team and I take primary responsibility for ensuring those applications are up, responsive, and working properly.
Sharing with the Community
Part of improving our team is sharing both the good and the bad with the community. I contribute regularly to the CustomInk Technology blog and speak at technical conferences regularly.
Nov 2007 - Dec 2011
General Manager - June 2009 - December 2011Board of Directors - June 2009 - December 2011Senior Director, Operations - November 2007 - June 2009I joined VisualCV when the company was just getting started. It was an amazing adventure and I had the opportunity to wear many, many hats during my tenure. Here are some of the things I did after joining the company in November of 2007.
- Customer Support and Advocacy
- Ruby on Rails Engineer
- Release and Deployment Manager
- System Administrator
- Developer Support
- Internal IT
- Business Development
- Email Administrator
- Product Evangelist
- Training content development
- Webinar Host
In December, 2011, VisualCV was acquired by Talent Technology. I assisted in the transfer of assets, application, infrastructure, and domain knowledge.
Mar 2001 - Oct 2007
During my time at webMethods, I held various roles in the Enterprise Applications division of IT including:Director, CRM Applications
- Lead a team of Siebel & Siebel Analytics developers
- Partner with various business units to streamline and automate many key business processes and improve analytical capabilities.
- Improve the end-users' experience with the CRM systems
- Design, develop, and deploy a Professional Services Deal Desk application used by various business units to approve new Professional Services contracts.
Manager, Customer Support Applications
- Responsible for all web-based, customer-facing applications as well as internally focused productivity tools for Customer Support
- Lead effort to transform extranet (webMethods Advantage) into a showcase implementation of webMethods' products.
- Improve customer satisfaction and decrease service request resolution time by providing tools necessary for customers to self diagnose and resolve issues.
- Build and launch customer & partner extranet serving over one thousand logins per day.
- Build and launch developer community site with free evaluation downloads.
- Integrate the extranet with various back office applications, including Siebel.
In 2007, webMethods was acquired by SoftwareAG. As part of the webMethods IT management team, I was responsible for consolidating the sales and CRM processes and systems of both companies. Salesforce.com, Eloqua, and webMethods became the primary tools used by Sales and Marketing. We combined the best practices from both organizations using these tools.
Jan 1999 - Feb 2001
Trainer & Application Engineer (BroadVision)
Most of my tenure at USi was spent building out the intial Educational Services offerings. I focused mainly on the e-commerce offerings (BroadVision and Microsoft Site Server) and PeopleSoft. As one of the first certified BroadVision training partners, I was able to deliver training to all of our internal BroadVision engineers. Additionally, I was able to grow our BroadVision training program to a point where it was generating in excess of one million dollars annually. I also worked as an Application Planning Consultant, helping to define e-commerce personalization requirements and strategies for our customers.
Mar 1998 - Jan 1999
Supply Chain Management Trainer
- Develop and deliver training for multiple applications.
- Conduct needs assessment analysis to determine training opportunities.
- Develop curriculum for supply chain management courses.
- Provide billable consulting services in support of supply chain management implementations within multiple industries.
MongoDB at CustomInk: Adoption, Operations, and Community
The Joy of Cooking: Whip up a Rails Environment with Chef
5 Things You Always Wanted to Know About Chef
Taming the Kraken: How Operations Enables Developer Productivity