Politics; Reading Magazines (Entrepreneur, Inc., Fortune, Money, Newsweek, and Smithsonian); St. Louis Cardinals Baseball; The History Channel and any programming where I can expand my knowledge (CNN/CSPAN)
Graduate College Career Advisory Committee LER REPRESENTATIVE (August 2008 - Present)
- Strengthened the Graduate College Career Services Office by providing guidance and advice on issues concerning students.
- Communicated to Ph.D. students and advisors throughout the program on upcoming workshops and networking events.
Student Society of Human Resources Managers MEMBER (August 2008 – Present)
- Participated in various workshops throughout the semester in order to gain a better knowledge of current issues facing the profession.
The Career Center MOCK INTERVIEWER (August 2008 - Present)
- Enhanced individuals interviewing techniques providing insight and direction on improvement through counseling.
Boiler Gold Rush TEAM LEADER (February 2006 - August 2006)
- Completed leadership training in order to orientate a group of incoming students about Purdue University.
Pi Sigma Alpha MEMBER (January 2005 - May 2007) EDITORIAL BOARD (January 2005 - May 2005)
- Political Science Honorary Society. Editorial Board published the Pi Sigma Alpha Undergraduate Journal of Politics.
Phi Kappa Sigma International FraternityMEMBER (August 2003 - May 2007)
- Vice President - Supervised the organization of the Chapter and managed over twenty officers.
- Recruitment Chairman - Organized recruitment of over forty potential members throughout three semesters.
- 2005-2006 2nd Highest Recruitment among Chapters Internationally
- 2006 Grand Chapter National Delegate, 2005 Indiana Greek Leadership Conference Participant, 2005 National Recruitment Seminar Participant, Phired Up Productions Recruitment and Sales Training.
- Additional boards and offices include Alumni Board, Executive Board, House Photographer, Judicial Board, Kitchen Steward, New Member Treasurer, Social Director, and Special Events Director.
Skull and Crescent Honorary Society COMMUNITY SERVICE CO-CHAIRMAN (April 2005 - April 2006)
- Leadership and Academic Honorary Society that plans philanthropic and social events aimed at bettering the community.
- Raised largest monetary amount for the Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund among student organizations.
Tarkington Hall Floor Senator FLOOR SENATOR SE 1 (August 2003 - May 2004)
- Elected representative of dormitory floor which passed legislation to improve resident's lives.
Best Buy Scholarship (2003-2004)
J. Boner Wampler Scholarship (2003-2004, 2006-2007)
Knights of Columbus Scholarship (2003-2004)
Target All-Around Scholarship (2004-2005)
TheBANK of Edwardsville Community Scholarship (2003-2007)
Energetic and experienced human resources professional. Demonstrates leadership in organizations with continuous improvement by reaching and exceeding goals. Possesses strong communication and analytical skills.
Aug 2009 - Present
Graduate Assitant - College of Business
• Teaching international students in Oral Communication for Finance Professionals Master’s course. • Advising students on cover letters, job search strategies, interviewing techniques, and resumes. • Creating workshops on internet technologies such as LinkedIn and VisualCV in preparation for job search.
May 2009 - Aug 2009
Human Resources Intern
• Designed a Labor Relations Starter Kit to foster development of individuals new to manufacturing. • Analyzed grievances for 2009 formulating an implementation plan to negate future risk based on findings. • Developed HR Insight Series on Conflict Resolution furnished to plants throughout the organization. • Held second stage grievance hearings individually with the UAW Bargaining Committee. • Investigated Safety, Harassment, Under the Influence, and Attendance Violations; administered penalties up to 1 month. • Fact-finder for 2nd, 2 1/2, and 3rd stage grievances in preparation for negotiations with the union. • Co-Facilitated Calibration Meetings for Interim Performance Reviews of salaried personnel. • Led Perfect Attendance Project recognizing hourly employees.
Sep 2008 - May 2009
- Established knowledge of supply chain processes and ensured successful processing of merchandise.
- Orientated new hires by training them on key equipment and processes necessary for successful performance.
- Ranked in top three departments since September including a first ranking four times within the district.
- Recorded 100% performance within the department for 09/08, 10/08, 11/08, 01/09, 02/09, 03/09, and 04/09.
- Safety Team - Consulted Loss Prevention staff on potential hazards in the workplace fostering a safer work environment.
Sep 2007 - Sep 2008
Human Resources Assistant
- Managed interviewing of potential candidates, new hire orientation, training, and attendance issues.
- Provided support in keeping store compliant with OSHA, State, Federal, and Sears Holdings policies and regulations.
- Served as a resource for 160 associates and management in resolving human resources issues.
- Facilitated employee recognition programs within the store.
- Processed daily sales and register detail for a multi-million dollar full line store and million dollar automotive center.
- Achieved third lowest turnover rates in the region for the month of April.
Oct 2007 - Dec 2007
Seasonal Human Resources Lead
- Coordinated the recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and orientating of nearly sixty seasonal hires.
- Developed a recruiting plan that encompassed multiple means of reaching potential candidates.
- Assisted employees and customers by resolving disputes and taking a larger role in the operation of the store.
- Awarded Performance Leadership Awards on November 7th and 14th,, 2007 for hard work in recruiting and orientating.
May 2006 - Aug 2006
- Analyzed legal documents in order to maintain information in the proper files.
- Learned better understanding of the legal systems operation and necessary documents.
May 2006 - Aug 2006
- Organized public relations schedule for parades throughout the year.
- Researched policy and history of methamphetamines for a DEA forum.
- Developed a greater scope of policy and its effects on different levels.
- Helped constituents through case work while using numerous research methods.
Aug 2008 - Present
Current GPA: 3.83/4.0
Classes Taken: Employment Relations Systems; Health, Savings, and Family Issues in the Workplace; Human Resources Training and Development; Managing Diversity in the Global Workplace; Negotiation in Human Resources Decisions; Organizational Fundamentals for Human Resources and Industrial Relations Professionals; Power and Influence in Human Resources Management; Special Topics in Employee Benefits; Quantitative Methods in Human Resources; Workplace Dispute ResolutionCurrently Taking: Collective Bargaining in Sports and Entertainment; Compensation Systems; Government Regulation II; Human Resources Staffing and Planning
Aug 2003 - Aug 2007
Associate of Science
Major GPA: 4.0/4.0
Relevant Courses for Human Resources: Applied Leadership, Human Relations in Organizations; Human Resources Issues; Labor/Management Relations; Leading with Intergrity; Leadership in Organizational Change; Leadership Principles; Leadership Through Teams
Aug 2003 - May 2007
Bachelor of Art
Emphasis in Communications
Cumulative GPA: 3.22/4.0