My goal is to get an internship during the summer of 2011 at a publication in the Twin Cities or Greater Mankato area to gain experience in my field.
I am a Mass Communications student at Minnesota State University, Mankato with an interest in cooking and writing about food.
I will graduate in May of 2011 with a Bachelor of Science degree in mass communications with an emphasis in journalism and a minor in art history.
After acquiring a strong set of writing skills from my classes at MSU, I am ready to get some experience as a working journalist in the working world.
Aug 2006 - Present
Bachelor of Science
- Journalism emphasis
- Art history minor
- Related coursework: Media Writing I and II, Multimedia Writing, Magazine Writing, Specialized Writing, Editorial Process, Publications Layout, Mass Communications Law, Ethics and Press Criticism, History of Mass Communications and Media and Children, Creative Writing.
Mar 2009 - Present
Westwood Marina is a restaurant located on the beach of Lake Washington. It's a summer attraction for boaters and locals to relax and eat on the deck overlooking the lake.
- Open the kitchen and prepare it for the day's food service
- Supervise dishwashers and other kitchen staff
- Follow food preparation and sanitation guidelines
- Work on the line to prepare food orders correctly and timely
- Communicate with other kitchen staff, servers and bartenders to keep the restaurant running efficiently and the customers happy
- Close the kitchen at the end of each night shift and make sure it is clean and organized for the next day
I am also working on a new website at www.westwoodmarina.com along with the owner. I am writing the homepage among other parts and using my expertise on search engine optimization and web design to create a successful website.
Mar 2008 - Jun 2010
AmericInn in Mankato is part of the well known AmericInn hotel chain. As an employee I was held to high standards to give AmericInn customers the best experience possible during their stay. My supervisor, Kalisha Langford, was awarded housekeeper of the year in 2009.
- Organized laundry, soaps and cleaning supplies every morning
- Thoroughly cleaned 6 to 20 rooms in a timely manner (30 min per room)
- Completed a daily cleaning list that included washing windows and vacuuming hallways
- Went above and beyond my cleaning duties to be pleasant to customers and help them with whatever they need