- Communications Program Management: Extensive experience developing and managing comprehensive external and internal strategic communications programs - often as a "one person shop" with little supervision. Includes e-communications (websites, e-newsletters, social networking), wide range of printed materials (newsletters, magazines, annual reports, catalogues, handbooks, reports, brochures, invitations and other event collateral), vendor and consultant supervision, speech writing and presentation preparation for organizational leadership, marketing and solicitation pieces. Nine years as web content manager, superior writing and editing skills.
- Fund Raising Program Management: Twelve years of experience managing fund raising programs and initiatives. Skilled in grants research and preparation, corporate funder relations, volunteer management, event coordination, capital campaigns, major gift solicitation, donor relations, direct mail appeals and promotion of fund raising efforts. At Lakefront SRO raised $8,534,520 over a five-year period.
- Board Relations: Have served as trusted advisor to Board members, elected officials, and volunteer leaders in every Director-level position, providing media training and assistance, speech writing, talking points, presentations, and correspondence. Provide support for volunteer fund-raising efforts (major gift or annual giving solicitation).
- Event Management: Have successfully coordinated events large and small, including grand openings (often featuring local celebrities and public officials), ribbon cuttings, annual meetings, community workshops, fund-raising dinners for 200+ guests, silent auctions, pancake breakfasts, and out-of-state house tours that attracted hundreds of participants. At Lakefront SRO, raised $625,800 through events.
- Government Relations: In last three positions, have worked with local, county, state and federal government agencies on various policy, marketing and funding issues.
- Media Relations: Eighteen years managing media relations, pitching stories, handling potential negative press. Familiar with wide range of print and on-line media outlets in the Chicagoland area, including Chicago Tribune (and TribLocal.com), Chicago Sun-Times, Pioneer Press, Patch.com. Comfortable working with television and radio outlets: at JDRF worked with all major broadcast affiliates on a regular basis.
- Management & Supervision: Seventeen years as a department or division head responsible for all planning, project management, implementation, evaluation, hiring and supervising - staff and consultants.
- Strategic Planning & Budgeting: Seventeen years of experience in long-range planning and budgeting - both for department and for organization as a whole. Familiar with funding issues specific to public sector.
- Silver Circle Savvy Award, City-County Communications & Marketing Association: Village of Glenview Crisis Communications Plan (2009).
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International Awards of Excellence: Government Relations Program, Cause Related Marketing Plan, Illinois Chapter brochure, Crisis Communications Plan (2000-2003).
- National Association of Counties Award: 1990 United States Census Public Awareness for Hennepin County, Minnesota (1991).
- Development & Marketing Associate/The Family Institute, Chicago Involved in all aspects of fund raising, public relations, publications, marketing for leading family therapy training, service and research center.
- Editor/ Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis Produced magazine distributed to 9,000 alumni and donors and bi-weekly newsletter distributed to 600 alumni, faculty and students.
- Census Campaign Coordinator /Hennepin County, Minnesota Developed and helped implement county-wide initiative targeting undercounted populations. Created committee that brought Minneapolis, St. Paul and three counties together on a census communications strategy.
- Public Relations & Editorial Assistant/YMCA of the USA Assisted in implementing national public relations plan for 2,000 YMCAs. Developed lobbying materials. Edited national newsletter. Contributed to national YMCA magazine.
- Glenbrook North High School Parents' Association. Communications Vice-Chair.
- Continuing Education: Business Applications of Social Media. Seven-week course; Oakton Community College (2011).
- Glenview Communicators Organization. Chairperson. Developed and coordinated annual Resident Open House with eight Glenview agencies. Launched community-wide "Go Green Glenview" effort (2003-2011).
- Northwest Municipal Conference Communicators Group. Chairperson (2010-2011).
- City-County Communications & Marketing Association. Judging Team Captain, Savvy Awards (2010).
- Affirmation Fund Raising Committee, North Shore Unitarian Church. Chairperson. Coordinated 21 families in targeted fund raising initiative, including pancake breakfasts, gift card sales, raffles, and other events. Raised more than $3,800 in five months - a 22 percent increase over the previous year (2009-2010.)
- CHARACTER COUNTS! in Glenview. Village Liaison. Collaborated on corporate partnership fund raising program. Coordinated Ethics Panel of leading experts in Illinois -- including a member of the Chicago Tribune's Editorial Board and the Director of the Illinois Campaign for Political Reform -- for organization's 2009 Annual Meeting (2003-2010).
- Glenview Values Project. Village Liaison. Served on community website development subcommittee (2003-2010).
- National School Public Relations Association/Illinois Chapter. Judge, Communications and Achievement Awards Contest (2007).
- Youth Services of Glenview/Northbrook. Public Awareness Committee for Capital Campaign. (2004).
- Presenter/Speaker. "The Color of Money: Getting Everyone Into the Act," Supportive Housing Providers Association Regional Meeting (2011); "Webcasts: New Technology You Can Use to Connect with Residents," Illinois City/County Management Association Winter Conference (2007); "I Pay a Lot of Taxes: Where Does the Money Go?" Glenview Senior Center (2006); "Crisis Communications in the Public Sector," Northwest Municipal Conference (2006); "It's Never off the Record: Dealing Effectively with the Media," National Assistance League (2003); "Developing a Strategic Marketing Plan," The Northcenter Chamber of Commerce, Chicago (2000); "Creating a Credible Annual Report," Illinois Association of Nonprofit Organizations (1997).
- Instructor, Support Center of Chicago. "Which Fund Raising Methods are Right for Your Program?" "Taking the Mystery out of Grant Writing," "How to Write a Marketing Plan," "Making the Most of Your Media Relations." (2000-2003).
- Contributor, Chicago Philanthropy Magazine."Tips for Getting Government Grants" (1999).
- Sarah's Circle Drop-In Shelter for Homeless Women. Board of Directors, Fund Raising Chair (1993-1997).
Apr 2011 - Present
Senior Manager of Marketing
Manage marketing function for one of the leading community college in Illinois.Supervise six-member division responsible for media relations, printed materials, e-communications (website, social media), graphic design and advertising.As part of the College Advancement team, support fund raising efforts, educational foundation activities.Work closely with college leadership, faculty and staff to promote the college itself, programs, classes and activities.
Nov 2003 - Apr 2011
Developed and managed the first strategic communications program for this municipality of 46,000 residents and 265 employees. Managed media relations, two websites, print and electronic communications (including a weekly e-newsletter). Produced employee e-newsletter. Provided oversight for municipal television station, including direct supervision of staff and volunteers. Worked closely with Village leadership on message development, public remarks and policy position statements. Served as liaison to a wide range of community groups. Developed award-winning crisis communication plan; managed emergency communications through two "natural disasters" (flooding and rain events). Coordinated specific public awareness programs around Village policy initiatives and services.
May 1999 - Oct 2003
Coordinated marketing communications and branding strategy for $10 million chapter of the world's leading fund raising nonprofit for diabetes research (the second largest in the country). Led efforts to educate the media, prospective donors and other relevant constituencies about type 1 diabetes and a full range of the Chapter's fund raising programs. Managed media relations and Government Relations Program. Created and then managed Chapter's first website. Handled all printed materials and publications. Assisted JDRF International media relations staff during national events such as the JDRF Children's Congress, which featured national celebrities such as Mary Tyler Moore.
Jun 1992 - May 1999
Vice President, Resource Development
Developed and implemented (with staff of four) resource development strategy for leading developer of supportive housing for the homeless. As a senior staff member, was also responsible for organization-wide planning and operations. Wrote all proposals and fund-raising materials; responsible for all grants management and reporting. Worked closely with volunteers, coordinated furniture acquisition for buildings (primarily handled through donations). Managed annual appeal, did extensive prospect research.
1988 - 1990
Hubert H. Humphrey Institute, University of Minnesota
1986 - 1988
1981 - 1985
Washington University in St. Louis