To obtain a spring or summer internship in the field of public relations, journalism or broadcasting in the Greater Mankato area or the Twin Cities.
I am a 21-year-old student at Minnesota State University, Mankato. I am a Mass Communications major with an emphasis in journalism. My minor is English, with an emphasis on creative writing. I am set to graduate in May of 2011.
I feel I have developed a strong writing style through both classes and writing for the MSU student newspaper, The Reporter. I am ready to step into the real world and hope to find a journalism internship at a publication based in the Twin Cities area.
Aug 2007 - Present
Bachelor of Arts
I have attended Minnesota State University, Mankato since the fall of 2007. While at MSU I have maintained a 3.84 GPA and have been named to the Dean's List each semester.
In the spring of 2010, I was awarded the Mass Communication Department's award for outstanding junior achievment.
I expect to graduate May 2011.
- Major: Mass Communications, Journalism emphasis
- Minor: English, Creative Writing emphasis
- Related Course Work: Media Writing I and II, Media Ethics and Criticism, Magazine Article Writing,
Photojournalism, History of Mass Communications, Multimedia Writing, Mass Communications Law,
Fundamental Speech Communication and Writing and Speaking for Broadcast
Jun 2005 - Present
- Supervised up to six staff members per shift
- Trained new staff members
- Responsible for closing the store at the end of each shift
- Delegated daily duties to staff members
- Effectively handled customer complaints through problem solving and open communication
- Served customers efficiently and effectively
Sep 2010 - Present
The Reporter is the student newspaper at Minnesota State University, Mankato. It is a biweekly paper. Issues come out each Tuesday and Thursday in both print and online format.
- Wrote informational news stories on a variety of topics, including politics, crime, health, business, university issues and student organizations
- Sought out, contacted and interviewed sources for news stories
- Wrote under biweekly deadlines
- Wrote within AP Style guidelines
Nov 2009 - Mar 2010
Recording Secretary/Voting Member
Minnesota State University, Mankato Newspaper Board
The MSU Newspaper board is a committee designed to debate and revise the bylaws and guidelines of the Minnesota State University, Mankato student newspaper, The MSU Reporter.
- Member of board designed to revise student paper guidelines and bylaws
- Debated and contributed to revisions of student paper guidelines and bylaws
- Interviewed and voted for incoming editor-in-chief of The MSU Reporter
- Recorded minutes of monthly Newspaper Board meetings and distributed copies to board members
Oct 2008 - May 2009
Plumbing Sales Associate
Menards is a nationwide chain of hardware stores. Each Menards offers a wide range of products, including plumbing, lumber and electrical supplies for commercial and residential construction.
- Provided efficient and effective customer service
- Maintained and stocked products within plumbing department
- Sold bathtubs, toilets, showers and other plumbing accessories
MSU’s oldest business fraternity turns 50: Students dine and dance to celebrate From MSU Reporter Nov. 11, 2010 Issue
New vaccine combats panic : H1N1 strain not as threatening this semester From MSU Reporter Nov. 4, 2010 Issue
McElroy attacker arrested: Quyumba Wilson caught in Wis. yesterday after high-speed chase From MSU Reporter Oct 14, 2010 Issue
Combining fun and philanthropy: Giving a little gains a whole lot From MSU Reporter Oct. 7, 2010 Issue
Parking options limited: Increasing enrollment levels cut down on space, new ramp possibilities expensive From MSU Reporter Sept. 9, 2010 Issue
Staying home for the game: Fewer people going to bars to watch football, fantasy football popularity increasing From MSU Reporter Sept. 28, 2010 Issue
Jake's Pizza relocates after four decades: Building to be torn down along with Highland Wet Goods Liqour to make space for new CVS pharmacy From MSU Reporter Sept. 16, 2010 Issue
Promoting big changes: Students for Sustainability helps out Greater Mankato community From MSU Reporter Oct. 5, 2010 Issue
Gubernatorial candidates hash out issues: Dayton, Emmer and Horner debate at Bresnan Areana From MSU Reporter Oct. 28, 2010 Issue
A How-to article about performing a basic tune-up on a lawnmower. Written for Magazine Article Writing 431
A personality profile article focusing on Denise Billington-Just, a MSU employee with a long history of community service. Written for Magazine Article Writing 431
An in-depth magazine article focusing on the ways the perception of smoking has changed in American society. Written for Magazine Article Writing 431