Obtain a challenging position within a progressive organization that will require a high level of responsibility and offer the opportunity for career growth
- Awarded a Gold Star from the Texas School Public Relations Association for the district’s newsletter, “School Zone”
- Awarded a Silver Star from the Texas School Public Relations Association for the North Forest ISD Annual Report
- Awarded a Best of Category from the Texas School Public Relations Association for the district’s website, www.nfisd.org
- Presented a seminar, “Communicating Triumph in Tough Times” at the 45th annual Texas School Public Relations conference, the largest chapter conference in the National School Public Relations Association
- Presented a seminar, “Communicating Triumph in Tough Times” at the 50th annual Texas Association of School Administrators/Texas Association of School Boards conference
- Houston Area School Public Relations Association
- Texas School Public Relations Association
- National School Public Relations Association
- Public Relations Society of America
- Texas Association of School Administrators
Social Media Marketing
Non-Profit Management and Fundraising
Aug 2005 - Present
North Harris Community College
- Taught theoretical and practical courses in government.
- Provided academic and career advisement to students.
Aug 2013 - Present
Reporting directly to the Superintendent of Schools, this position incumbent manages all phases of the communication process from the vantage point from the Beaumont Independent School District central office. Illustrative duties include the following.
- Serves as district spokesperson.
- Serves as a liaison between the Superintendent of Schools, the public relations community, the business community, parents and the community at large.
- Responds to request for public information from various media sources regarding general aspects of BISD operating procedures.
- Publishes and maintains an employee newsletter database relative to issues of concern regarding finance, curriculum, state assessment, student progress, general academic events and employee recognition.
- Manages and oversees the operation of the communications department budget including approval of purchase orders, reconciliation of the check register, and the development of allocation handbooks.
- Assists the Superintendent of Schools with the maintenance of online policy development relative to both local and state requirements.
- Represents the Superintendent of Schools at community events involving integral stakeholders such as the Rotary Club, and Chamber of Commerce.
- Participates in the budget development process of the department as a component of the overall budget development process for the district.
Aug 2011 - Jun 2013
Public Information Officer
Serves primarily as the media liaison and district spokesperson for North Forest ISD. Manages social media communications, handle media inquiries, writes news releases, coordinates interviews, pitches stories, and organizes press conferences and other public events for the district.
- Serves as district spokesperson and coordinates all media coverage.
- Drafts letters, messages, and regular correspondence on behalf of the Superintendent of Schools to disseminate information and request sponsorship of events.
- Prepares and distribute news releases about the district and board of trustees’ activities to news media.
- Created and manages the social networking accounts gaining more than 5,000 “followers” and “friends.
- Serves as liaison between the district and community organizations, representing North Forest ISD at monthly civic clubs and neighborhood meetings in the community.
- Prepares publications for the district such as monthly newsletters, brochures, and other publications.
- Develops and maintains effective internal communications in an effort to improve understanding, team building, and morale.
- Assist the Superintendent of Schools in explaining public opinion and issues to the staff.
- Coordinates special events/programs such as recognition programs, opening-of-school activities, district wide luncheons, and banquets.
- Assist the Superintendent of Schools in speech writing and other correspondence as assigned.
Aug 2009 - Aug 2011
Director of Public Relations, Community Relations and Education Foundation
North Forest Independent School District
Managed the school district’s public information and communications activities including overseeing the design and implementation of internal and external media and reports; served as the district’s spokesperson; built and maintained mutually beneficial relationships with the local business community, political officials and key stakeholders; administered departmental budget of over $700,000; oversaw and established the district’s scholarship program.
- Developed a fit-for-purpose change management approach by designing management solutions to address the ability of the Superintendent and executive team to gain trust and support from broader community to implement reforms while reducing costs. Implemented best practices including task management template to increase follow-through; developed data-driven agenda discussions, which improved executive team coordination and ownership with supporting staff. Results were more group and individual clarity on assignments, with a focus on most relevant metrics and created more candid discussions to improve performance.
- Organized events and steering committee meetings to form the district’s official Alumni Association.
- Raised over $60,000 for the district scholarship program by soliciting corporate sponsorships.
- Assisted in writing a grant proposal for BP America in which the district was awarded $1 million dollars to start the BP Urban Energy Career Academy for high school students at North Forest High School.
- Implemented the Family University Network (FUN) program which offers workshops for parents over various topics ranging from financial planning to curriculum and instruction.
- Researched, outlined and created the district’s “Communicating in Triumph in Tough Times” presentation which was presented in Austin, TX at the 2010 Texas Schools Public Relations Annual Conference and in Houston, TX at the 50th Annual Texas Association of School Administrators alongside the Superintendent of Schools, highlighting the strategic methods used to communicate triumph through a public relations crisis period.
Nov 2005 - Aug 2009
Coordinator of Communications and Community Relations
North Forest Independent School District
- Developed and implemented two distinct programs designed to involve senior citizens and local ministers in the school district.
- Established partnerships with corporate entities for their support and sponsorship of district activities such as the annual back-to-school celebration, employee appreciation, and student programs.
- Built and maintained relationships with business partners, local city officials, community civic club presidents and state political leaders.
- Maintained and built relationships with local media representatives.
Jun 2009 - Present
Dissertation in progress.