- Running – active member of a running club and participating in races from 5k to half-marathon distances
- Travel – recent trip to Ifugao (Philippines) in September, 2012
- Strength training – currently leading a boot camp for distance runners & cyclists
- Volunteer opportunities – including English-French interpreting in a cholera clinic outside of Cap Haïtien
- Proven ability to grow accounts through strong client relationship management
- Dedicated and energetic team-player and manager with experience in international and cross-cultural settings
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills, resulting in a strong capacity to generate and implement solutions
- Highly motivated and reliable in a team setting or working independently
- Language skills: Excellent written communications and presentation skills (English), near native written and spoken Spanish, fluent written and spoken French, and conversational Chinese (Mandarin) and German
Jan 2012 - Present
Senior Project Manager, Freelance
- Delivered document translation and software localization projects in a variety of formats
- Provided troubleshooting help to the operations team on challenges in Trados, typesetting requirements, and client platform deliveries.
- Supported the Operations Manager with day-to-day team management, including training and creation of workflows to meet client-specific requirements on large (>$200,000) and recurring projects.
- Presented solutions and results to manufacturing and software clients in regular quarterly, monthly, and weekly meetings.
- Optimized workflows to meet individual clients’ specific quality matrices and improve performance on key accounts.
Nov 2009 - Dec 2012
Global Account Lead
- Doubled quarterly revenue on the General Electric account by focusing on better pricing strategies and improving relationships with decision makers and influencers
- Delivered projects involving translation and typesetting as part of a Project Management team
- Collaborated with the marketing team on the development of newsletters, webinars, and business cases designed to target specific clients
- Managed a team based in Beijing, New York, and Leeds (UK) to provide administrative support project managers across the company’s nine global offices
- Created training programs and authored workflow templates to assist project managers in allocating responsibilities to the project administration team
- Increased project margins through improved team efficiency and enhanced, streamlined processes
Jul 2008 - Oct 2010
Senior Project Manager
- Generated new clientele in the areas of Life Sciences, finance, and marketing
- Managed client relationships, including 90% new clients and 10% pre-existing clients
- Identified & pursued target industries, clients, and areas of development for small translation agency (fewer than 10 employees)
- Cooperated with freelance professionals on specialized translation & editing (protocols, press releases, marketing materials, etc.) in the areas of finance, oil & gas, pharmaceuticals, medical technology, advertising, & business services, most often working with CAT tools & DTP
Jun 2006 - Jun 2008
- Launched & produced projects including website localization, multilingual marketing, bid invitations & tenders
- Provided editing and proofreading on translations into English
- Recorded and edited translations of standardized tests into 17 languages in the agency's largest project to date
- Authored content for & assisted in designing agency website to maximize translation services
- Directed and collaborated with an international pool of vendors, including full-time freelance professionals and graduate students
(Part-time position while taking courses towards an M.A. in Translation Studies)
Sep 2004 - May 2007
M.A. - Dissertation pending
- Medical Interpretation Certificate, May 2006
- General Interpretation, May 2005
Sep 1999 - May 2003
- Graduated Summa cum laude (GPA: 3.88)
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa; Sigma Delta Pi; Pi Delta Phi
- Departmental Honors in Hispanic Studies
- Received the Edward F. Dowd award for excellence in Classics
Oct 2001 - Jul 2002
- Enrolled directly in first-year courses for university's philology program for local students, including Philosophy of Language, History of Literary Theory, and Linguistics.
- Credits transferred back to Wheaton College.
- Arranged study program, visa, and housing independently rather than through a college sponsored study abroad program.
Writing and Translation
Wrote and edited bids in conjunction with sales teams Authored content for 2 past employers' websites Edited Translation and Identity in the Americas: New Directions in Translation by Edwin Gentzler, as well as various students' academic publications in the field of Translation Studies Spanish to English and French to English translator since 2004
Web-based and tagged files
Comfortable editing and troubleshooting in HTML, XML, CSS
Computer Assisted Translation Software
Trados SDLX Wordfast Passolo MemoQ
Focused on replicating original designs on translated files InDesign FrameMaker Quark Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
MS Office Suite
Particularly focused on complex formatting of MS Word Documents and Excel, including tables, graph, charts, and authoring macros.
Initially exposed to the language while sharing an apartment with three Chinese graduate students. Developed reading and writing skills prior to traveling to China in 2007, and followed up with further coursework. Used Chinese language while remotely managing a team in Beijing (2010).
Fluent in writing, reading and conversation. Worked with French elementary school students and teachers during the 2005-2006 school year, in a completely French speaking environment.
Near native fluency in reading, writing and conversation. I have worked frequently with direct managers, clients, and subordinate employees in this language.