1. Orient new students to the department, including the hospital's job description for Surgical Technologists, the Policy and Procedure Manual, the availability and location of educational resources, and all safety precautions and emergency protocols.
2. Make arrangements for the individual preceptor(s) for each student.
3. Assign appropriate cases to each student.
4. Alter assignments as necessary to suit student needs.
5. Monitor each student's progress throughout the course of the day.
6. Make myself available for students' questions and learning needs.
7. Exhibit professional behavior and serves as a role model for students.
8. Promote patient and student safety.
9. Create a positive and supportive learning environment, including being an advocate for the student's status as a learner.
10. Make systematic observations and objective judgments about student performance.
11. Meet with each student individually once a week.
12. Give each student timely feedback about his/her performance, providing suggestions for improvement.
13. Meet regularly with the Program/Clinical Coordinator to maintain productive two- way communication between the program and Operating Room personnel.
14. Discuss student evaluation with each student's preceptor(s).
15. At the end of each rotation, prepares (or supervises the preparation of) a Clinical Evaluation Form, documenting the progress of each student.
16. At the end of each rotation, discusses the Clinical Evaluation Form with each student, attempting to provide guidance for future performance.
17. Provide feedback to the program about current department/hospital policies or changes in practice in the field and makes suggestions for program modifications or improvement.
18. Participate in continuing education seminars and in professional development opportunities in order to maintain current state-of-the-art knowledge and skills.
19. Attend two (2) meetings a year with the Program Coordinator and the other Clinical Instructors to discuss program goals, policies and educational methodologies.