RailsConf - June 2010
SQL and SQL ORM Frameworks
VIM and Textmate
git and SVN
Ruby on Rails
When not at my day job, I am busy teaching programming to kids at my son's computer club (ruby4kids.com). Have been holding sessions on weekends with kids 12-16 for a couple of years. They have learned to develop games with the Ruby Gosu framework. They have learned NXC in combination with the Lego Mindstorms sets.
This year, we have concentrated on iOS and Objective-C. They have developed single view applications, and got one of them approved and posted in the Apple Store.
When not programming, I enjoy cycling with the local road racing training rides. I also enjoy fast cars and regularly attend track events with my Subaru BRZ.
Jan 2013 - Oct 2014
Senior Director, IT
Riverbed acquired OPNET in December 2012. During his tenure at Riverbed, Alberto headed the integration effort for the OPNET team as member of the Integration Management Office (IMO). Alberto attended all work stream meetings, and dealt with all operational issues regarding integration. Alberto, in cooperation with the Controller at Riverbed would bubble up any issues to the Integration Steering Committee. Alberto's knowledge of the company inner workings, and his broad grasp of technology and business practices were critical in contributing to a successful integration.
Feb 1997 - Dec 2012
SVP and CIO
Alberto was a member of the executive management at OPNET. Alberto had oversight of all aspects of IT, including infrastructure, security, compliance and business applications. Alberto was also responsible for all facilities (domestic and international locations).
As a member of the executive team at OPNET, Alberto participated and was a leader of some of the most critical projects at the company.
Despite these responsibilities, Alberto ensured he set time aside for direct involvement in the architecture and development of Ruby on Rails applications. A sampling of recent hands-on projects include the following.
- Designed and developed a Ruby on Rails VM playing and scheduling system. The system had an admin UI so that instructors could author and clone VMs. From that interface they could schedule the classes; the system would take care of cloning and launching the necessary VMs.
- Designed and architected a Ruby on Rails system for HR. The key feature of this system was Effective Dating, which required the storage of temporal data across associations. System was extremely easy to use for the end-users, the hard logic was cleanly abstracted and removed from the day to day operations of the users.
- Programmed automated Financial reports and data mining algorithms to help speed up the closing of the accounting periods. This Ruby on Rails system pulled data from a variety of data sources, including Peoplesoft and MS SQL legacy databases. Reports were easy to run, abstracting the complexity away from the end user.
May 1995 - Jan 1997
Database developer, worked on consulting software projects for enterprises and government agencies.
- Built a point of sale system, with inventory tracking.
- Designed and developed and invoicing and shipping system with a customer support portal.
Jan 1990 - Mar 1995
Worked with the Advanced Textiles Division, using carbon fibers.
- Designed the manufacturing line for a carbon fiber felt used in aircraft brakes.
- Programmed the controllers for the braiding and weaving process of a carbon fiber fin structure for aircraft engines.